Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

New Maine Guy with an Awesome GL1200 Aspy

935 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  FredFromArnold 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I've owned a dozen bikes and had a GL1800A back when they were new. But in recent years I've gone old school. I wanted no more complexity that exceeds my ability to mostly fix. First an old BMW R100RT and now a 1987 GL1200 Aspencade for two up rides.

Found this beauty with only 24k miles and looks like its been garaged it's entire life. Bargain priced to IMO.
Going through her stem to stern, all fluids, timing belts, rebuilt clutch master/slave, and a can of polish.

My wife and I plan the tour the USA in September(USA 4 Corners Tour) so I have a bit of work to become comfortable with this bike. This site has been a great help supplementing the OE manuals. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Welcome to the forum.
:welc:

Pretty sure I saw that beauty on craigslist and I was tempted. I am down to one bike and resisting the urge hard. I had two GL1200 bikes in the past (standard and an Interstate). Really great bike with lots of great features.

In addition to your check list above, I would look at the charging system. There are fixes for "the dreaded three yellow wires" that seem to work if nothing has yet failed. But, if it were me and I was planning such a long trip, I would do a preemptive change to the GM alternator conversion.

Reactions: OldCrow
#6 ·
Hallo OldCrow

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

Reactions: OldCrow
#10 ·
If you don't add a lot of lights to it, the OEM stator "should be good".
just due diligence to making sure the 3 yellow wire connectors are removed, and solder the wires together ( add splices if needed ).

also check the connector the Reg/Rec unit, if there is any discoloration, need to fix that also

#12 ·
I've been swapping out incandescent lights for LEDs to free up some pixies for my heated vest/gloves. The only down side, other then cost, is that to smart by half Taillight Sensor giving me the big red finger on the dash :frown2: I'll be digging in to clip the offending wire when we get back.

I glanced at the Regulator/Rectifier and didn't notice anything, but I'll put that on my list for a closer inspection, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.