Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

New Goldwing Owner

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  FredFromArnold 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just purchased an 85 Goldwing LTD. It is in decent shape and the price was amazing so I picked it up. Now that I have it in my garage I am noticing a bunch of issues but I'm fine with it. I'll just take my time and tinker away on it as finances allow.

Where was I in 1985? I was 10. My dad and I had just gone to the motorcycle show in Regina, SK and I had absolutely fallen in love with the Goldwing. I got a poster from the Honda booth at the show and it had all the models of the Goldwing on it. Interstate, Aspencade, and LTD. I remember putting that poster on my wall just beside my bed and dreaming about the bikes. I would like to go back in time now and tell that 10 year old me that someday I would have the LTD. Wouldn't that just make a kids day?

I will be following the posts on this page. It looks like there is a lot of knowledge here. I just stripped all the plastic off the bike and put it back on again last week (I really hated putting the fairing back on). It was a procedure for me but now I feel quite confident with doing that again in the future. I'm sure I will be looking in to the stator replacement posts here since there is a charging issue and I will have to replace that. The battery is good but I have to trace the problem back from there. It's going to be interesting doing this all on my own. Not nearly as much room in there as there is under a car's hood.

I'm looking forward to bringing this bike back to life as a reasonably reliable tourer - with the hopes of one day turning it into a War Bird cafe. We'll see how far into the future that is.

See you around,
Oldnag

See less See more
#4 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Gl1200 Limited and 1986 SEi models are rare, but worth restoring.
As for cafe racer projects, you can find plenty of those projects on craigslist. People start the project get disgusted and sell it cheap. :ROFL:

#6 ·
Hallo Oldnag

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

#8 ·
DaveO430 - I have been coming around to your viewpoint over the last month or so that I have owned the bike. It is really in fabulous shape. Compete with original luggage, bike cover, owners manual, etc. It really would be a shame to rip it all apart. I may look in to a different Goldwing in a couple years for a cafe project and leave this one alone.

I kind of hope it is the stator actually. I would like to have the whole thing apart. I have a lot of friends here who have been working on bikes and sleds for their whole lives who could help me out. That being said I am pretty handy also and have always wanted to take something like this on. This might be my chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.