Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Help me find an old bike?

4K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  sixbennetts 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

Donny here from upstate NY. Don't own a wing yet, but I'm hoping you folks can help me find the right project bike. I'm a disabled vet living on my payments, so money's VERY tight. Obviously, a basket case is right up my alley! This will be a bare-bones bike with simple vintage looking fenders, a single saddle seat, and the only tins will be the tank cover and fenders. No battery cover.

1. I'm gonna add a custom sidecar. Either by buying a sidecar frame designed for a wing, or making one. The type of car is a surprise.

2. I'm going to strip it down, so condition of fairing, sidecases, trunk, and cover panels are unimportant. (Thinking about removing the GW tank cover, and replacing it with a Valkyrie tank cover).

3. Must have the older steel tubular frame, so pre-2001.

4. Must have reverse, so newer than 1988.

5. Going darkside with the tires, so without tires is fine.

Who's got an old GL1500 stashed away, taking up space, or getting in the way?

Thanks!

See less See more
#6 ·
Hallo sixbennetts

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your search for a Wing.

#8 ·
Hi folks,

Donny here from upstate NY. Don't own a wing yet, but I'm hoping you folks can help me find the right project bike. I'm a disabled vet living on my payments, so money's VERY tight. Obviously, a basket case is right up my alley! This will be a bare-bones bike with simple vintage looking fenders, a single saddle seat, and the only tins will be the tank cover and fenders. No battery cover.

1. I'm gonna add a custom sidecar. Either by buying a sidecar frame designed for a wing, or making one. The type of car is a surprise.

2. I'm going to strip it down, so condition of fairing, sidecases, trunk, and cover panels are unimportant. (Thinking about removing the GW tank cover, and replacing it with a Valkyrie tank cover).

3. Must have the older steel tubular frame, so pre-2001.

4. Must have reverse, so newer than 1988.

5. Going darkside with the tires, so without tires is fine.

Who's got an old GL1500 stashed away, taking up space, or getting in the way?

Thanks!

You do know the 1988 has reverse.....right.....??:grin3:

If looking for a GL1500, might I suggest a 1992 (or newer) to get some nice upgrades.....!

#9 ·
Sure do, should have said newer than 87!0:)

The frame changed from tubular steel to aluminum in 2001, so that's as late as I want to go because I'll be stripping it down. But yeah, what years and what upgrades are you talking about that I should know?

That's why I'm here! :smile2:

#15 ·
Ok, so:

1997-2001, GL1500 6cyl.

Would all the above GW's have reverse, or just the Aspencade & SE? Was reverse an option or standard on all '97-'01 GW's?

Interstate doesn't have reverse, but does everything else in that year range have it, or was it an option that had to be ordered, is I guess what I'm asking!? Lol

#16 ·
All 1988 - 1990 GL1500's have reverse (standard).

All 1991 - 2000 GL1500 (Aspencade's and SE's) have reverse (standard).

The 1991 - 1996 GL1500 (Interstate) does not have reverse. (It was not available on the Interstate)

There was no 1997 - 2000 Interstates.

Note: The 2001 was a GL1800 (not a GL1500).........!!

Note: The GL1500 Interstate was only made for 1991 - 1996.

#23 ·
Gonna be stripping it down, remember? Don't know how much of the headlight assembly will be left.

Now I gotta find a 98-2000 GL1500 se or Aspencade that somebody wrecked the tins on or layed over.

How do I find a busted up one? Something where the frame, wheels/tires, and drivetrain are all good, but the boxes/trunk/fairing are toast?

#29 ·
This is kinda what I have in mind. This is an 1100, so not the right years, and I'd also probably not add the side cases because I'll have plenty of storage in the sidecar.

So how 'bout it? Who's got an old 97-2000 Aspencade or SE kicking around, getting in the way, taking up space?

#39 · (Edited by Moderator)
WE FOUND A BIKE!!!

Or at least, a friend of ours found one for us. Unbeknownst to us, a young lady from oncology found us a donor bike. She and I became fast friends during my treatments, and have been close ever since.

She took it upon herself to email and/or call, well.... Everyone!! (If she contacted you, I apologize! She's extremely bubbly).

She found an Airbus pilot in AZ with a 97 GL1500 Aspencade he was selling for a great price. Once she explained how we used the old Ural outfit for meals-on-wheels and taking vets for rides, (kids too), he told her she could have it!!

He called me outa the blue to confirm her story, and we hit it off right away. We're the same age, each have a few grown sons, and love helping people!!

Kismet.

I put a listing up on Uship, so we'll see if that materializes, but we're hopeful, (as always).

Here's some pics, it looks beautiful!! And only 60k miles on it!

Now I have to find a sidecar.

Attachments

#40 ·
that looks just like my '98SE that I used to have....

what a wonderful outcome!

hope that you can find a sidecar out there..
I used to live in Mesa, AZ.

I trimmed the black off of the 1st picture, and uploaded it and made it full screen for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.