Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Why will some dealers not work on Hondas over 10yrs old?

View Single Post
post #88 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 PM
2manywings

Model: 2004 GL1800
Post imported post

I've been wrenching on Wings for over 30 years now and have heard all of the stories I've read here and then some. I live in an area of Michigan where the dealers don't want anything to do with the older Wings either. That's OK because I LOVE 'EM and have no problem working on them. My customers are my friends! I treat them like I'd want to be treated. I treat their bikes like they were my own (some of them have been my own). They know if they bring their bike to me, it's going to get my undivided attention. I'll talk shop until I bore them sometimes,but when it's time to get my hands dirty, I don't like anyone in the shop to distract me and they all understand and respect that.
The dealers in my opinion don't really want techs that know how to fix things, because they're in the business of selling parts. With all of the commission and incentive programs that these techs. have today, and not having to talk with the customer face to face, a quality jobs is not high on their priority list. And I agree that most of them don't know the older bikes.
Around here, if you take your Wing in for tires, that's all your going to get. No drive line lube, or brake service, or speedo cable lube. or any extras. If your in there and don't do these kind of services, I feel your doing your customer a DIS-service. And my customers are always happy to know that I do my best to take care of the items that need attention. They don't want to have their bikes tied up multiple time through out the year.
Customer Service has got to be #1 priority. If you give crappy customer service, that kind of word gets around, and it won't be long before you're wondering where they've all gone. They'll be ringing my phone I hope.
So don't put up with the run-around you can get from some of these shops. I you feel you've been treated unfairly... let them know. Go to the owner if you have to. But don't put up with it!

76 GL1000/ 48,000 miles-Sulfur Yellow
76 GL1000LTD
84 GL1200 (LTD Clone)
85 LTD w/ PoorBoy conversion
98 GL1500SE
2004 GL1800 (double darkside)daily driver
2007 GL1800
and several doner bikes.
The numbers are ever-changing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome