Eyeball Cards - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
Post imported post

OK, let's just call this a personal objective of mine....

I have logged some pretty serious travel miles (over 40k so far in two years) and have met people from all walks of life at some of the most interesting places in the country (not to mention a lot of people from this very forum). One of the things that has always perplexed me is that I have no record of those interesting people that I have met (who, when, where) and I have no easy way to invite t
hem to our forum without getting out a piece of paper and writing it down for them (which they probably loose anyway).

I was recently going through some of my old boxes of stuff and came across some of the "QSL Cards" I had collected as a ham radio operator in the Navy and I remembered how interesting it was to add each card to the growing collection. So, the thought came to me that it might be a great idea if we started carrying a similar type of card with us as we travel to pass out to each other as a record of our meeting and memory jogger when we get home and take time to reflect. A fellow member offered this tidbit:

W4EMW (Ed from Georgia) wrote:
Quote:
Hey Halfling, that's a great idea. I've done the same with QSL cards for years. Just recently started collecting what we call "eyeball" qsl's like these. I'm getting mine done this weekend. Gotta get some new pics made so I can have a good selection to choose from.

Awesome, that's the ticket, "Eyeball Cards"!!! These cards are smaller in size (usually business card size), easy to carry and can make a lasting impression at club meetings, meet & greets, or anywhere people interact. I can see where these "Eyeball Cards" could easily cross over to our motorcycle touring world where they could be used to pass out at meet & greets, lunch rides or just the chance meeting on a weekend ride. They could be quickly dropped into a bowl for a raffle or as a record of your attendance at an event. The possibilities are endless and the benefits are huge!

If you like this idea (I hope you do and that it's popularity grows) then I would like to suggest two simple guidelines for standardization.
  1. Standard business card size, to keep your personal costs down and be easy to carry. It also facilitates collecting them in binders/sleeves designed for business cards.
  2. A place somewhere on the card to record (write in) the date and location of the meeting.
As with the QSL cards, the overall design and information you put on it (both front and back) is totally up to you and your own personal creativity. Based on several excellent suggestions, I now use the front for a picture and contact information and the back for an avatar and my forum affiliations.

That's it! Get yours ready now and join the growing "Eyeball Card" movement. Start collecting and be the first on your block to have a highly treasured "Halfling" card!!!

Note: No need to have them printed up if you don't want to. I actually made my own which allowed me to do some trial and error to get them just the way I wanted them. I went out to Office Depot and purchased some Avery clean edge business cards (8876) and then went to Avery.com/templates and did mine online. The results are in PDF format and can be saved to your computer for future use or modification. It was pretty easy and they printed well on my inexpensive Epson color printer.

From now on, when I happen to meet a fellow rider, I don’t miss the opportunity to hand out my "Eyeball Card"! How about you?

So, here's a pic of mine to start the ball rolling!

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:
Where's your picture? Without your picture, it never happened, you know?

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Model: GL 1500
Post imported post

I like the idea John! Would be great for keeping track of people you meet at events... ;-))
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Rudy wrote:
Quote:
Dusty Boots wrote:
Quote:
Where's your picture? Without your picture, it never happened, you know?

Alright .... how about this then? ....

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

Now there's a face we would have no trouble recognizing!

John

US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Co-owner

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

BUMP to keep the "Eyeball Card" in everyone's mind. Got yours ready yet??

John

US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Co-owner

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Post imported post

Shameless BUMP!

John

US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Co-owner

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Post imported post

Got mine printed and ready to hand out.
I even found a few members to pass them to already but it's tough in quarantine.
I hope to give out plenty at N5. Hope some of you will get one from me.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Post imported post

What if your so ugly nobody would even touch the card (like me), do you still put pictures on?

Winter is here, happy riding and stay safe !
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > NASSIR Meet n Greet Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page