Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

Every event has it's odd but true things that
happened on the way to or from said events.

Let's enjoy some of those things we usually never
hear or read about because they're forgotten.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
FM

Garage
Post imported post

On the way back from NASSIR 5, while expressway riding, I was folding our camping receipt when a side gust of wind blew it out of my fingers. It fluttered a few times in mid air and I tried to grab it but couldn't. As it fluttered back to Debbie, she also tried to catch it but missed. WELL darn we said, not going to stop just for a receipt, we rode on.

About 5 minutes later an 18 wheeler was passing us on the left and I was putting my toothpick back in my mouth. When I was reaching for the grip for the trucks wind turbulence, if that dog-gone camping receipt didn't fly right back into my hand. I'd swear as how it went into my hand, it was like it was in reverse video mode.

Go figure.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 AM

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

While traveling down Rte CC in MO Jack and I topped a hill and both of our Goldwings quit. never lost electrical power. We sat there for a few minutes while we drank a bottle of water scratching our heads on what just happen. After about 5 minutes we tried to start the bikes and they both fired up and we road the rest of the way home without a problem.

Beware the MO Bermudas Triangle is at Rte CC and Rte C.

Don (Parman)

"Sappers Lead the Way"
US Army (Retired)
101st Airborne Division (Ft Campbell KY)
1st Calvary Division (Ft Hood TX)
2nd Inf Division (Korea)
54th Engineer Bn (Germany)
Member of Patriot Guard Riders IL/WI

Honorary Wild Rhino

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (trout)downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

95 1500 SE
Mileage: 103472

2010 GL1800
Mileage: 3604
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Model: 94 Goldwing A
Post imported post

I rode all the way down without any mishaps. I got to with a mile on home and someone polled out in front of me at cross road. thats the first time the wing ever left 15 feet of tirebrake marks. Just figgers.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Snorebaby's CFO

Post imported post

OOOPS

Snorebabe (Michele) and Snorebaby (Doug)

2015 GL1800HPNMF "Scarlett"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'90 GL1500SE "Pearl"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
NASR 12 "Poke, Poke, Set"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM

Post imported post

(Initially mistakenlyposted under Snorebabe's acct. That's why the OOOOPS in her post)

Coming home the first day....Friday the 13th.....we were intending to stop in Memphis, TN for the night. The roads and traffic were HORRIBLE in Memphis. Too many people going every direction and driving like crazy folks. The road surfaces were terrible with upheaves and craters. I don't think there was more than 10ft with a level surface. The road system....you gotta go around the block 3 times just to get across the street.

Well needless to say we decided to press on and go a little further since the weather was decent. Trying to get out of Memphis on I-55 doing 70mph and trying not to get run over, the bikes shocks bottoming out and the trailer's bouncing around because of the terrible roads, I hit a crater that shook my bones and my cell phone jumped out of the cradle. As I reached for it with my left hand and trying to watch the traffic/roads, I barely touched it. It fell to my leg and bounced off my knee onto the roadway. I looked in the left side mirror and seen the initial bounce where 2 pieces of my phone came flying up off the road, into the path of my brothers bike/trailer and as he was running it over, more pieces flew up into the path of the tractor-trailer that was behind him.

I did not turn around to try to find it. That would indicate that I wanted to commit suicide trying to search on that interstate. Plus I would have had to spend at least 30 minutes just trying to navigate the city to get back to the spot. I did cuss when it happened. I am positive that it is unusable. I call and it goes straight to voicemail. Luckily I have my old phone that this one replaced.

tmdriverwannabe can verify that it had to be a massive crater to knock my phone out as he looked at my setup at NASSIR and knows how tight the phone sat in the cradle.

Snorebaby (Doug) and Snorebabe (Michele)
'15 GL1800 Scarlett

'90 GL 1500 SE Pearl
'86 CMX450 Rebel
'85 GL1200 LTD---SOLD
Patriot Guard Riders #137660

I ain't drunk, but I have been drinkin'. (beenshot)

"Carrots & Pickles, Attorneys at Law" (Wingnumberone)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
FM

Garage
Post imported post

__Snorebaby__

Glad to know that crater wasn't hungry!
Wings got a lot of meat on'm.

__BLACKWING__

Wondrous what these Wings can do.
I once got 8 ft of 2 tire lockup, I thought that was pushing it.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 AM

Post imported post

BLACKWING84 wrote:
Quote:
I rode all the way down without any mishaps. I got to with a mile on home and someone polled out in front of me at cross road. thats the first time the wing ever left 15 feet of tirebrake marks. Just figgers.
Good thing the car was more than 15 feet in front of you.
Glad to hear you are allright.

Scott

Traveling fork rebuilding and motorcycle delivery available.

Fork seal tutorial

86 GL1200 Aspencade
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 AM

Post imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
Quote:
(Initially mistakenlyposted under Snorebabe's acct. That's why the OOOOPS in her post)

Coming home the first day....Friday the 13th.....we were intending to stop in Memphis, TN for the night. The roads and traffic were HORRIBLE in Memphis. Too many people going every direction and driving like crazy folks. The road surfaces were terrible with upheaves and craters. I don't think there was more than 10ft with a level surface. The road system....you gotta go around the block 3 times just to get across the street.

Well needless to say we decided to press on and go a little further since the weather was decent. Trying to get out of Memphis on I-55 doing 70mph and trying not to get run over, the bikes shocks bottoming out and the trailer's bouncing around because of the terrible roads, I hit a crater that shook my bones and my cell phone jumped out of the cradle. As I reached for it with my left hand and trying to watch the traffic/roads, I barely touched it. It fell to my leg and bounced off my knee onto the roadway. I looked in the left side mirror and seen the initial bounce where 2 pieces of my phone came flying up off the road, into the path of my brothers bike/trailer and as he was running it over, more pieces flew up into the path of the tractor-trailer that was behind him.

I did not turn around to try to find it. That would indicate that I wanted to commit suicide trying to search on that interstate. Plus I would have had to spend at least 30 minutes just trying to navigate the city to get back to the spot. I did cuss when it happened. I am positive that it is unusable. I call and it goes straight to voicemail. Luckily I have my old phone that this one replaced.

tmdriverwannabe can verify that it had to be a massive crater to knock my phone out as he looked at my setup at NASSIR and knows how tight the phone sat in the cradle.
I'll have to agree with you on the state of roadways in Memphis. I used to have to visit a couple of times a year. They are always working on some road or another, and it never gets any better.

Scott

Traveling fork rebuilding and motorcycle delivery available.

Fork seal tutorial

86 GL1200 Aspencade
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Model: GL-1500
Post imported post

It wasn't really "strange" but once back in Texas on I-30, I'm driving that Monster Truck of my sons...This woman in a car pulls up beside me goes to pointing back at the trailer.....My heart sinks, I just know without looking back one or both of the bikes are on their sides........Pulled over the rear tire on the passengers side was almost gone, just two strips of rubber left on the wheel....Have no idea when or where it blew out???

Pulled into a trailer manfacturing company, they sent us to Wal-Mart, good ole Wally World, but we found a small tire shop first, $25.00 for a used tire...On the road again, well not quite, just as we were pulling into that trailer dealership, the AC on the truck started blowing "hot air"?????...Had to drive almost 400 miles no AC in this Texas heat...Had some cloud cover so it wasn't really too bad...Monday son took the truck to an AC shop I use....$800.00 bucks for a new compressor!!!...The trailer is getting four new tires today!

THE NATION WHICH FORGETS ITS DEFENDERS WILL ITSELF BE FORGOTTEN

1982 GL-1100 Goldwing Interstate...Black Beauty
1994 GL-1500 Goldwing Aspencade...401K....

Honorary member Wild Rhinos

I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > NASSIR Meet n Greet Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page