Passport Application for USA folks - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Token Canuk

Model: 1996 SE
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 96aspencade Send a message via Skype™ to 96aspencade
Post imported post

JWayne wrote:
Quote:
You guys should only need a passport for Canada if you are flying. Drivers only need to produce their driving licence. At least that was true up to recently, you might want to check it still holds true.
Only an "Enhanced Drivers Lic." will work crossing from Canada to the US , it's an extra few $$$$ and will wokr at land crossings.
A "standard" US D Lic might not do ..

Retired Paramedic - 35 yrs
Never had a bad day riding-Just some better than others!!
DD # 1138
30,000 miles - Formosa,
'96 GL 1500 SE - 260,k km
Goodyear Assurance (175/60/16), now on my 2nd
'84 Shadow VT 750c - 35,k km- BF Goodrich Radial TA
'90 Suzuki Intruder 750 – 88,k km
'85 GL 1200 Aspencade - 185,k km
'83 Shadow 500
'70 Kawasaki KE-125
'?? Suzuki 80

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Skid Prevention/ Emergency Techniques)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:56 PM

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Post imported post

What is an Enhanced Driver License?

Don (Parman)

"Sappers Lead the Way"
US Army (Retired)
101st Airborne Division (Ft Campbell KY)
1st Calvary Division (Ft Hood TX)
2nd Inf Division (Korea)
54th Engineer Bn (Germany)
Member of Patriot Guard Riders IL/WI

Honorary Wild Rhino

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (trout)downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

95 1500 SE
Mileage: 103472

2010 GL1800
Mileage: 3604
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I am just going to go with the Passport Card, total cost of $55.00

I have not looked for an alternate agency for me as the post office is walking distance from my house.

I had not thought of an "enhanced Driver's License". Will investigate that before I present my documents.

~ John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Post imported post

JWayne wrote:
Quote:
You guys should only need a passport for Canada if you are flying. Drivers only need to produce their driving licence. At least that was true up to recently, you might want to check it still holds true.
It's a can of worms!

A few years ago all you needed was a drivers license and was a good idea to have a certified copy of your birth certificate also just in case.

After the Twin Towers USA started all this Homeland security bull***t!
USA says we need a passport, but Canada does not really require us to have one.

So here's the deal, Canada may let us in without a passport, but USA may give us a hard time trying to come back home if we don't have one!
Legally the USA cannot refuse to let us back into the USA if we are a legal USA citizen, but do we really want to fight with them over it at the boarder?

As was said once when talking this over in the past. Canada does not require a passport to get in, but USA may not let you come back without one, so does it make sense for Canada to let you in if you can't leave?? LOL

Can of worms!

Of course none of this does anything for homeland security other than harass us for no reason at all, any one can jump a boat and get in any time they want!
Gee, we can't stop the boat people from Cuba, or illegal Mexicans, but sure thing a passport requirement for USA citizens is going to keep us safe!

If terrorists can steal several commercial airliners in 1 day, I'm sure they can figure an easy way to enter from Cuba or Mexico just like anyone else does!

No offense meant to anyone of course, I'm just saying if they can get here then anyone can get here! No passport required!

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Parman wrote:
Quote:
What is an Enhanced Driver License?
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_edl.html

Enhanced Driver's License – This is a driver’s license that can also be used as a cross-border travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. It denotes both identity and citizenship, per the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/EDL_map.html

Only offered by 4 states in the USA.
Washington,
Vermont,
New York,
Michigan...

Shame on the rest of the lower 48.

~ John

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Model: 88 & 95SE 1500's, 82 1100I, 80 1100, etc..
Post imported post

Check all your larger local post offices!
Passports and photos can be done at many post offices and there should be one near anyone reasonably close! May not be your local town post office but withing 50 maybe 100 miles almost anyone should find a post office to take care of it.

Forms, photo's, etc.. can be done at the post office, it's then mailed in, wait about 4-6 weeks and you should get the passport back by mail!
Post office is probably the easiest place maybe, but it costs a bit more for extra fees.

You can just do everything yourself and mail it in, cheaper, maybe not as fast or easy.

Heck even West Plains, MO post office does passports but I think you have to make appointment, and they can take the photo so no problem with errors of size or anything.

If some little middle of nowhere bozo town like that can do them at post office there is probably one near you LOL

Chromo

I ride for FOOD

99 SE 1500, Also riding now, Red ( Second fastest color)
95 SE 1500, riding now, Purple (the fastest color)
88 1500 recovering from deer hit, Phantom Gray (Most expensive color )
82 1100 riding sometimes, Red
Also 80 1100 naked and 86 1200 Interstate, not running yet.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM

Model: 1800
Post imported post

Chromo wrote:
Quote:
JWayne wrote:
Quote:
It's a can of worms!

A few years ago all you needed was a drivers license and was a good idea to have a certified copy of your birth certificate also just in case.

After the Twin Towers USA started all this Homeland security bull***t!
USA says we need a passport, but Canada does not really require us to have one.

So here's the deal, Canada may let us in without a passport, but USA may give us a hard time trying to come back home if we don't have one!
Legally the USA cannot refuse to let us back into the USA if we are a legal USA citizen, but do we really want to fight with them over it at the boarder?

As was said once when talking this over in the past. Canada does not require a passport to get in, but USA may not let you come back without one, so does it make sense for Canada to let you in if you can't leave?? LOL

Can of worms!

Of course none of this does anything for homeland security other than harass us for no reason at all, any one can jump a boat and get in any time they want!
Gee, we can't stop the boat people from Cuba, or illegal Mexicans, but sure thing a passport requirement for USA citizens is going to keep us safe!

If terrorists can steal several commercial airliners in 1 day, I'm sure they can figure an easy way to enter from Cuba or Mexico just like anyone else does!

No offense meant to anyone of course, I'm just saying if they can get here then anyone can get here! No passport required!

Kind of like locks, they're only made for honest people, crooks will get into anything, if they really want to. Use to let my car doors unlocked, hopefully they wouldn't bust the window to get in, had to stop doing it. The insurance company said they wouldn't pay for anythink stolen or damages. go figue

I like my Trike....also have a 2008 Honda VXT1300
also have a 2003 Honda GL 1800
also had a 1987 Honda Gl 1200
also had a 1986 Honda Sei1200
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Year: 1985
Model: 85 Aspencade
Post imported post

Another thing to consider, something that Canadians have when they cross the border is health insurance.
If your in an accident or get sick, you will get the bill, might not be as high as it would be in USA possibly but for a few dollars why take a chance.
I personally carry out of province insurance all year so I don't have to worry about crossing the border.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Model: 98 GL 1500 SE
Garage
Post imported post

thanks for the link john

Michael and Melinda Coleman

Patriot Guard Member
GWRRA Member

Every motorcycle will out-perform its rider

A thong wearing member of the Kanwings/Wild Rhinos

We have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted Long may your big jib draw. We are now members of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Senior Smart Aleck

Model: 97 GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Quote:
I went to a AAA office (not a member) and got my photo done there. They do it to the specs. Don;t remember the fee,,,,, but it didn't break me.
Did not know you could get a passport at Alcoholics Anonymous. I'll be danged.

1984 Aspencade/24000 miles
1997 Aspencade/ 54500 miles

Life is a highway, I'm gonna ride it all night long,

God Willin and the Creek Don\'t Rise!!

Darksider #1409

Patriot Guard Rider

Honorary Rhino

GWRRA

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod (or whatever it was), downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw", so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

JACK WHITE
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > NASSIR Meet n Greet Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page