Nassir 6 Wings and things - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1500SE
Just a quick note for the budget. Highway 54 goes through a first nations reserve where gas is fifty or sixty cents cheaper per gallon. The also sell off brand cigarettes for a lot less than one would pay outside the reservation.

If your ride goes near or through the area it might be worth considering. The road also follows the Grand River so it's a little easier on the eyes than the regular slabs.

Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 AM

Model: Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbie View Post
Just a quick note for the budget. Highway 54 goes through a first nations reserve where gas is fifty or sixty cents cheaper per gallon. The also sell off brand cigarettes for a lot less than one would pay outside the reservation.

If your ride goes near or through the area it might be worth considering. The road also follows the Grand River so it's a little easier on the eyes than the regular slabs.
Don't you need a First Nation Card to get the discounted gas? I go through there all the time but have to pay the regular rate ..

85 Interstate
Grand Kids 50cc Honda Chopper
1977 Ford Ranger
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1500SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1060dsl View Post
Don't you need a First Nation Card to get the discounted gas? I go through there all the time but have to pay the regular rate ..
When we went through we bought Shell regular at $1.14/liter when PetroCanada on Hwy 6 was $1.28. With a First Nation status card our gas would have been $0.99 a liter.

Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 06:48 AM

One just never knows what the savings will be, or if there will be any. We have three First Nations Fueling stations here, and usually, they will be one to two cents savings over our local retail outlets. They also keep the price down on the day our retail outlets all raise theirs, so on those days the savings can be considerable.

The status card removes all federal tax from the fuel so those with cards save lots. I have had status natives buy fuel for me when riding together, and those prices are enough to make my stomach hurt a little.

Riding a Goldwing DOES NOT mean I have stopped being a biker....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
We will be traveling up from middle TN through Ohio (2.5 days) and was wondering if there is an international car carrying ferry across Lake Erie that may be worth the effort/cost (Sandusky maybe)? This is a new area of exploration for the wife and I so anything that may add some additional lifetime experience would be of interest to us.

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfling View Post
We will be traveling up from middle TN through Ohio (2.5 days) and was wondering if there is an international car carrying ferry across Lake Erie that may be worth the effort/cost (Sandusky maybe)? This is a new area of exploration for the wife and I so anything that may add some additional lifetime experience would be of interest to us.
Yes, there is. Information can be found here:

http://www.ontarioferries.com/peleef...lish/index.asp

I do not know if reservations are an absolute requirement, or a suggested idea, or even not required.

The service coming from Sanduski does not seem too efficient, but one could take the 3:30 to Pellee Island from Sanduski and spend some time looking at Pellee Island, catching the 8PM to Leamington from there. Alternatively, that same ferry, if one did not disembark, would continue on to Leamington, arriving at about 5PM. I had thought to take that ferry across to Sanduski after the NASSIR 6, for the same reasons you are thinking of taking it.

*****Okay - I read up on the reservation requirements. Vehicle reservations are required for ALL sailings, and one must check in at least one hour prior to boarding or your spot will NOT be held. So, it looks like the ferry is a one day excursion, what with wait times and time on the water, at least from my end.

Riding a Goldwing DOES NOT mean I have stopped being a biker....

Last edited by Viking; 06-18-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Further information
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
Thanks! You are certainly right about the times not being too efficient. I would not like coming in to Ontario that late in the evening! Food for thought and thanks for the website!

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfling View Post

Ohio is a nice state but the western part is pretty boring for a motorcycle. You might consider traveling a bit further east on the way up coming through West Virginia and western PA and NY.

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Regional Events > NASSIR Meet n Greet Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page