NASSIR 7 General Information - Page 9 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Thanks guys. One thing I have learned in the past few years is that you really don't know where the old train is heading till it gets there.
If it works out, I might be able to make a cameo visit but I really can't say yet.
No one has mentioned Fletchie and where he would be staying if such a visit were possible. I can't believe no one has considered the pets yet. Also is this place the ONLY place up there? I haven't heard anything about possible overflow accommodations yet.
Anyway... I'm sure I won't be there long enough to do live feeds like N5 had. I'm a little surprised no one did that at N6 considering how much people liked having that available. Canadians... pfft.
Party on y'all.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
Hadn't thought about pets Rudy. My bust! Thanks for the nudge. I'll check and post what i find out. Overflow is probably not going to be an issue, we will know more about the needs in a few months and react accordingly! Good to have you chime in!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Gregarious Greeter

Model: GL 1800
Garage
I know that pets are allowed in the campground area, because I called and asked after this thread was started. Will be reserving a spot in August. Hope there are still some available.

Yesterday is for memories!
Today is for making memories!
Tomorrow is a concept that does not exist!
What are you waiting for? ... Sam-n-Elaine
Just livin\' the dream!!!!!
Just another day in paradise!!!!!
Honor above all else!!!!!
Thank you Dylan Saunders for the layout of my greeting!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 PM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
With minimal number of campsites nearby, can there be an overflow area near the campsite and/or near the Hotel?
post #85 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2003 GL1800A
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Halfling
First let me say that Bernie and I and the growing team of helpers are VERY excited about NASSIR 7 and I assure you that we are trying to cover as many bases as possible between now and next July. I am also sure that we have not and will not think of everything. Let me throw a few numbers at you. I'm sure these numbers aren't exact but they should be close. At NASSIR 4 I think we had maybe 10 campers (I was one of them) and less than 20 rooms. At NASSIR 5 we had about 7-8 campers (I was one of them too) and maybe 30 rooms or slightly more. At NASSIR 6 I believe there was even less camping and rooms (correct me if I'm wrong). The campground that belongs to the Village which is 2 miles down the road has 10 tent sites and 10 RV sites. We also have a large number of rooms blocked out in the lodge. We are currently in week one of the official posting and to my knowledge only one person has actually reserved a campsite and 24 rooms have been reserved. At this point, even though we expect the turn out to be higher than previous NASSIRs we aren't even sure we will need any overflow and to be honest we are trying to avoid it as it represents a logistics issue with people traveling any distance to get to/from the events. Let's give it some time, we will watch the reservations closely and if it looks like we are going to have lodging issues (camping/rooms) we will do our best to determine what the actual need is and secure additional facilities as needed. If you are really concerned about overflow I would suggest that you make your reservation sooner rather than later and avoid that situation all together. If participation is that high where we have an overflow problem then in my opinion that it is a very good problem to have! We will come up with a solution.

John

2003 GL1800A Candy Durango Red
US Navy (77-93) EWC(SW)
Darksider # 817 (195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP @ 29.5 lbs)
Co-owner

"Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, 'This is the real me,' and when you have found that attitude, follow it." - James Truslow Adams
post #86 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
I can't imagine Fontana Village running out of accommodations, even if it's not the accommodations that were set aside specifically for this event, there is literally 100 other places to accommodate any over flow necessary right there on property.

For anyone who has stayed in other places in that area, and trust me, I can speak from experience as I have spent at least 2 weekends a month on average out there for the past 2 years. The Motels in the immediate area, are lack luster, most filthy little Biker hole in the walls that profit from the local riders. To my knowledge, there are only 2 camp Grounds worth staying at out that way, each of which would be at least an hours drive in either direction from Fontana Village. Now that doesn't mean there aren't other places out there, there are........ but in my experience and opinion, a waste of money.

John (Halfling) and I, along with our families have stayed at and ate at Fontana Village a few times over the past year and have never been disappointing........ Well..... OK, Once we were, but it took one phone call to the office and it was fixed, no questions asked, and sometimes the fried green tomato's are red........ But you won't get better stuffed trout anywhere.

My point to this...... There would be no need to look elsewhere for accommodations, as Fontana Village has more than enough of everything we would need for this event.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

post #87 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 PM
FM

Garage
I'm sure your team is looking at all the angles for NASSIR 7 and smoothing out all the wrinkles. You folks who can visit the area at a moments notice, are blessed. It's those who don't live close enough have to ask questions are just trying to find info that's not on the internet. We have to sometimes read between the lines to get so-so answers.

Just a few possible problems I know of that can make of break a good time at NASSIR 7.
I looked at the campground map and what I saw was really disturbing. There's not many ''clean'' campgrounds close to Fontana and the 2 that are are rather expensive.
The Dragon draws a lot of out of state riders who do camp and book Hotel/Motel accommodations. What I have read and heard is The Dragon area is becoming more crowded these days and that eats up some rooms and campsites.

So far I've chimed in twice here and feel like my head is gnawed on for bringing up ideas/points. If that's makes the team uncomfortable, I'll just sit back and keep my typing to myself until the very last minute. But that's usually too late to do anything about any thing.

I'll be 10-10 on the side and 10-23.
post #88 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Garage
Floyd, Sorry if it was my post that makes you feel you didn't get an answer, I tried to give my Honest, Unbiased opinion, and I am not on "The Team". Halfling can tell you that I was not thrilled with everything about Fontana Village, so John gave me the challenge of finding a better place....... There isn't any, unless you want to spend huge money and stay in populated areas. If you have searched for other camp grounds out in that area, then you know, that What Fontana Charges for Camp sites is Cheap, even though there is no discounts offered for the sites. Reservations made now, Only requires payment of one nights stay, so if you reserved today, your cost would be $15 or $30 depending on your needs preference. Same with the Hotel Rooms that they have blocked off for us, Reserve for the duration of your stay, but only have to pay for one night up front. This gives everyone all year to call and have another night paid for when you can so by next year the stay is paid for (thats what Im doing). I hope that helps, if not Im sure someone will pop up with more info that may.

Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

post #89 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 PM
FM

Garage
John (jobe)
I understood your post, it's not taken wrong, and the info was good.

Unless you build the perfect place, there isn't one.
We make do with what we got/get and try to work around the/any problems.
post #90 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FM View Post
John (jobe)
I understood your post, it's not taken wrong, and the info was good.

Unless you build the perfect place, there isn't one.
We make do with what we got/get and try to work around the/any problems.
Good! And I agree, but this place is about as perfect for an event like this as it gets, again, I was challenged with looking for one and there isn't one.

I understand Cost and not having money to just blow all the time, But the ideal stay would be on property, at the lodge. $89 a night for what you get is great for that area. I was out there 2 weeks ago and stayed in a dive motel that should have been remodeled in 1965 but wasn't, we paid $74 and luckily we brought our own pillows. Nothing could be done about the ice cold shower.

I checked the web site for Fontana Village and it says camping for Tents is $20 to $30 per night. I'm not sure where the $15 price came from. Maybe someone could clear that up?

Not sure exactly were you live Floyd, or how far you would be traveling but I will be out there camping the week after Labor day weekend. Come on out and I'll give you the grand tour of the area. It's beautiful........ As a buddy of mine said a couple weeks ago, Almost life changing. But that would give you an idea of the vast area that Fontana Village takes up, and the whole area in general.

Honorary Rhino.......

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > NASSIR Meet n Greet Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page