My back yard - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1990
Make: Honda
Model: 1990 gl1500SE
My back yard

Everyone planning to attend NASSIR7 already knows about "The Dragon" and the Cherohala Skyway , but you need to know there are many more great day rides once those have been thoroughly explored.

I live in Madison, Ga, a short 75 mile ride to some of the finest twisties the southern Appalachians have to offer. For three of the last four Saturdays, along with a fellow Wing Man I pick up an hour north of here, we've had the joy and pleasure of renewing our acquaintance with some of these fine roads.

Most people have heard of "Moonshine 28", ever heard of a stop near Walhalla called Stumphouse Mtn?

How about Ga 197 that runs between Clarkesville, Ga and US 76. Be sure to make a stop at Mark of the Potter and feed the fish.

The road between Hiawassee and Helen has great steep sweeping sharp turns. After lunching in Helen, return north via the Richard Russell Scenic Hwy. You may want to take a side trip to Brasstown Bald.

Don't forget, as long as you're in the neighborhood, to ride up to Gatlinburg through the Great Smokey Mtn National Park, or my favorite cycling road of all time, the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Each adventure leads to the discovery of future rides. There are, I'm sure a few hundred more that could be added to this short list, but the point is that once you get to the area, you should be able to put a hurt on your sidewalls if you're into that sort of thing...

Tired of people pulling out in front of you? Get a white helmet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
A couple years ago Dust Boots and I left Tellico and went down to Atlanta to visit with Rudy for a couple of hours. When we left, we headed north through the Chattahoochee National Forest. Rout 60 through the forest is probably one of the best roads I have ever ridden out in that area. The only difference between Rt 60 and the Dragon is 60 is longer, 60 crosses a mountain, and there is no store at the end of the road so there is a lot less traffic. And the views, the greenery is just fantastic!!

We stopped in Blue Ridge and had a nice buffet dinner lake side, Great food and a Great price!!!

Never discount the roads in North Georgia.......... You'd be missing a great ride!

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM
X-Roughneck

Model: 84 GL1200A w/poorboy alt & 1997 1500SE Green
Subscribed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Yes, GA 60 is a great run and it ends near Helen GA and jumping off on 160 takes you up to Vogel State Park which is another nice run section.
Leaving Helen up GA 17/75 to GA 76 near Hiawasee is kind of fun as well. Steep mountain climbing twisties a lot of the way with flying traffic and overheated vehicles around the next bend for added fun challenges.
Also the highest point in GA, Brasstown Bald is a steep if not scary ride up to within a few hundred yards of the visitor lookout on top (in case you need to stretch your legs).
But 60 is easily my favorite part of it.
Here it is in the fall...

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 PM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
I vacation in Hayesville NC and Blue Ridge Ga . There is no bad rides . Find a road and give it a try . For me it's all been good .

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 PM

We have a daughter and son-in-law living near Atlanta so we're down there often and are not strangers to the N. Georgia roads.
Like also Warwoman Rd east out of Clayton.
And, of course, there is always Wayah Rd in NC.

Man O Man, can hardly wait to get down there again.
thecruiser

BTW, beautiful picture Rudy.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > NASSIR Meet n Greet Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page