NASSIR 7 Planned Rides!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

John (Jobe05) Here is the Clingman's Dome ride.
Hwy 28 to the Dragon. Go North on 129 down the Dragon. Go right on the Foothills Parkway. First stop is at the "Look Rock" Overlook. There is an overlook as well as a path on the other side of the road that leads to a higher overlook. The parkway ends at Hwy 321. Go right on 321 to Townsend. Go thru Townsend to the Tee intersection. Go left on Little River Road towards Gatlinburg. The next stop is at the Sugarlands Visitor Center. Bear right from there going toward Newfound Gap. At the top of the mountain the Newfound Gap overlook will be on the left and the road to Clingman's Dome is just past on the right. It climbs the mountain 7 miles to a fantastic overlook. From there go back down and go right into Cherokee. Lunch should be had in Cherokee. I did not locate a place to eat last week but will go back next week and find something suitable unless you know a good place. Take Hwy 441 to Bryson City. In Bryson City take Hwy 28 back to Fontana. An alternate plan for lunch would be in Bryson City. If you go right on 28 at the intersection in Bryson City there is a McDonalds, a Burger King and an Arbeys grouped together just a few hundred feet up the road. People can choose either of the three places to eat and regroup for the ride to Fontana. If you do not eat there then take a right on 28 back to Fontana.
This was my wife's favorite ride. The roads, scenery and overlooks just blew her away! This is approximately a 257 mile ride.
Thanks again for your much needed and appreciated help!
Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I can do "kicking back"!
And I can taste it already!
Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
American Legion Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubswing View Post
Hwy 28 to the Dragon. Go North on 129 down the Dragon. Go right on the Foothills Parkway. First stop is at the "Look Rock" Overlook. There is an overlook as well as a path on the other side of the road that leads to a higher overlook. The parkway ends at Hwy 321. Go right on 321 to Townsend. Go thru Townsend to the Tee intersection. Go left on Little River Road towards Gatlinburg. The next stop is at the Sugarlands Visitor Center. Bear right from there going toward Newfound Gap. At the top of the mountain the Newfound Gap overlook will be on the left and the road to Clingman's Dome is just past on the right. It climbs the mountain 7 miles to a fantastic overlook. From there go back down and go right into Cherokee. Lunch should be had in Cherokee. I did not locate a place to eat last week but will go back next week and find something suitable unless you know a good place. Take Hwy 441 to Bryson City. In Bryson City take Hwy 28 back to Fontana. An alternate plan for lunch would be in Bryson City. If you go right on 28 at the intersection in Bryson City there is a McDonalds, a Burger King and an Arbeys grouped together just a few hundred feet up the road. People can choose either of the three places to eat and regroup for the ride to Fontana. If you do not eat there then take a right on 28 back to Fontana.
This was my wife's favorite ride. The roads, scenery and overlooks just blew her away! This is approximately a 257 mile ride.
Dubs
OK. I have done that route, just never did the Dome........ Isn't that something, never even knew it was there..........

Thats the great thing about the Smokey Mountains........ Just when you think you have traveled a road to it's end, it just keeps showing you more of it's beauty over and over........ I think you could spend a lifetime there and never get to see all it has to offer.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 PM

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobe05 View Post
OK. I have done that route, just never did the Dome........ Isn't that something, never even knew it was there..........

Thats the great thing about the Smokey Mountains........ Just when you think you have traveled a road to it's end, it just keeps showing you more of it's beauty over and over........ I think you could spend a lifetime there and never get to see all it has to offer.
If you try the walk to the top I have a suggestion.. Bring Oxygen.. You'll need it!!!! I did it last year and thought I was gonna die!!!! It's worth the effort for the view but not more than once in my opinion!

At least until I quit smoking.....

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

My first thought was to stop at the Newfound Gap overlook but the view from the Dome's parking area is spectacular. If you are ever in that area when there is a full moon, the overlooks on the right just before you get to the Newfound Gap have spectacular views of magnificent sunsets! A definite bucket list item!

I never tire od the Smokies, the Blueridge Parkway----always breathtaking, always beautiful and always different. We also saw laurel still blooming on Monday!
Dubs

GL1500 Valkyrie
American Legion Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Model: 2010 GL1800 CSC trike
Garage
Quote:
Dubs
is your odometer off a little that circle should be somewhere around 150 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM

Model: 2010 GL1800 CSC trike
Garage
063.jpg

066.jpg

061.jpg

These pics were taken at a pullout just a mile or two south of Clingmans Dome road on hwy 441.

post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM

Garage
Quote:

Jobe05, What morning are you planning to fix pancakes? Do you have a specific campsite? I bet Mel and Sandi would let us use theirs! What do I need to bring to the party? If you fix everyone's breakfast, you and your wife really need to attend the dinner with everyone! I would be honored to have you with us!
Bernie
I changed my camp site to an electric site, which will make everything so much easier. Breakfast will be served every morning of the event, and if there are left overs, Fri & Sat are available also!

Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenshot View Post
is your odometer off a little that circle should be somewhere around 150 miles

YOu didn't take into account who's leadi......... Oh look a duck....

Honorary Rhino.......

post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoepc View Post
Well,, I was gonna say with my ears but I don't think that's the answer you want... Actually at the speeds we're gonna be riding at: 35-45mph, it's fairly easy to hear what's being said over the stock speaker, Anymore than that though and it becomes a problem and I would need an external speaker mounted on the dash....

Hmmm... I just had a thought.. If I can get a mini jack headphone splitter so's I can hook the CB output and my MP3 player output into the FM modulator, I can have a louder CB AND my music over my stock stereo!!

Thanks Bernie!! You're a Genius!! Time for a trip to Radio Shack!!!!
We had the same set up on Tim's first bike, Honda Shadow 750 ACE. Mounted it between the windscreen and the handle bars, Looked like it belonged there. The speaker was facing out toward him, with the Mic mounted on the left side of the handle bar. Even at highway speeds, he could hear it pretty good. Most CB's have a earphone out or jack to plug in a speaker (Or ear bud). Tim would wear an ear bud once in a while. The range wasn't as good as a stock CB radio on the wing, but it was good enough for our type of riding.

Honorary Rhino.......

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > NASSIR Meet n Greet Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page