Top 10 Places To Ride In North America - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Top 10 Places To Ride In North America

Quote:
Most of these Iíve traversed, but I attempted to avoid personal bias by including a few Iíd like to add to my personal list of best roads ridden. So much exists out there to ride a top 10 list doesnít do justice, nay, not even a top 100 list would begin to scratch the amount of asphalt deemed epic by motorcycle standards. These are but 10 of the best known stretches; the roads that every motorcyclist should at least ride a few of in his or her lifetime.

Often, the best roads to ride are the hidden gems you stumble across by chance, during an episode of losing your way from the road more travelled, only to be lost to romantic memory upon an attempt to relocate said road. A few times Iíve attempted to retrace an unplanned detour of riding excellence only to find itís seemingly vanished like some version of moto-Brigadoon.
Read more about the Top 10 Places To Ride In North America at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:27 PM

Year: many years, two different continents.
Model: 2035 GL3500 Intercontinental
Garage
I am suggesting a ride completely around Lake Tahoe between California and Nevada, I used to live there, awesome scenery any time of the year, best for bikes in the middle of summer.
Or for the more advanced riders, take the ferry up say to Skagway and ride your bike to Fairbanks then to Anchorage and possibly down to the Kenai, then ride the southern Glenn Highway route back again to either a return by ferry or back down through Canada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Banned

I suggest Sioux Falls, SD.
It has the highest per-capita amount of riders in the country.
More female riders than I've seen anywhere, ..ever.

...my 2-cents worth of input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:37 AM

Year: 1990
Make: GL1500
Model: Aspencade
Iron Mountain Road or Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills of South Dakota. But I suggested experienced riders only.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 10:41 AM

Model: 1998 SE SOLD But Not Forgotten!
Anyone putting together a Top 10 list would have to draw from their own experience, then subjectively choose...unless the data were to be carefully compiled from thousands of contributing riders.

So...as stated above, even a Top 100 list would likely fall short. Then too, a T-10 list from the 'Wing crowd might be very different from one proposed by the Hayabusa guys.

That said: All of the routes on the list look to be lots of fun!

Dan & Jo Ann

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The journey IS the destination .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:02 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Because it includes the (over rated) dragon I don't think it's a great list but because it does include the beartooth it may have some merit.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Scott

Model: 92 Aspencade on tour in Europe, 99 Aspencade in California
I was getting skeptical until I saw #1 and I would agree with that placement. I've also ridden the ones by Idylwild and those are great. I would also offer that the PCH NORTH of San Fran is also spectacular and less traveled...

Scott

(our motorcycle blog about traveling two-up on our Goldwing in the US and Europe) look for us on Facebook and Instagram

The great European Motorcycle adventure on the 1992 Goldwing: (2013) Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Czech Republic, Austria, Italy, Switzerland; (2014) Greece, Turkey, San Marino; (2015) Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:38 PM

Year: 2013
Make: GL1800
Model: 2013 Navi Comfort
Garage
A motorcycle trip must include a trip to Yellowstone. My wife and I went there last summer and we decided that the only way to see the true beauty was on the back of a bike.

2013 GL1800 Comfort/Navi
2014 Harbor Freight Tag-a-Long
Currently stuck in Las Vegas, Nevada

Previous bikes (in reverse order) include:
Harley 883 Sportster
Honda GL1100 Interstate
Honda 750A Hondamatic (second best bike I ever owned)
Honda CB450
Kawasaki 900 Z1
Suzuki GT380
Honda MT125
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > GoldWingFacts.com and Motorcycle.com News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page