• 1 Post By Aloha Tom
  • 1 Post By AZgl1800
  • 2 Post By JamesPal

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Editorial Content

Top 10 Overlooked Maintenance Items

Quote:
Perhaps the motorcycle manufacturers are to blame. They’ve made their products so reliable that we take them for granted. We almost feel that if we just keep our bike’s tank full and spoon new rubber on the rims when necessary, we’ve got our machinery handled. Well, that’s not quite true, and consequently, many riders tend to overlook basic maintenance for extended periods. While lots of riders have the off-season in which they have the time away from riding to take care of annual upkeep, many little things need to be done on a regular basis throughout the riding season.
Read more about the Top 10 Overlooked Maintenance Items at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Banned

Year: 94
Model: 1500 SE
Good article. Some of the items definitely relate to our GoldWing such as lube throttle cables,
grease the side and centerstand pivots and springs + ck for everything is tight!
Not stuff we see threads on normally.

Most of us know to replace coolant every 2 years, same with brake fluid- every year for the more aggressive brakers,
and the engine/trans oil with its many threads on what to use.

Thanks Motorcycle.com for another good post! You are a great source of information.
John_David likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 08:32 AM
Professional Curmudgeon

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 ABS
Garage
Is there "How To" videos on lubing the throttle cables and changing the brake & clutch fluids?

God gave his Arch Angels weapons because even the Almighty knew you don't fight evil with tolerance & understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davek View Post
Is there "How To" videos on lubing the throttle cables and changing the brake & clutch fluids?
Lots of info on the internet regarding your question. 1800 clutch fluid change is quite easy, brakes are a bit more complicated. May want to look into speed bleeders so it is easier to do yourself.

Read the article, good information, but we are creatures of habit. Always good to be reminded. Apply these 10 items to your car/truck and how many of us do the same for these vehicles. I submit that we take better care of our bikes than our other modes of transport even if we miss some of these recommendations.

Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:21 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davek View Post

Ah, this thread came up again, just 5 minutes after I brought up another thread on this same subject mentioning that "someone" whom I could not remember their name, was asking about this subject.

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/mo-...to-lube-cables

Look at the other New Posts and you will see a thread that just popped up from the archives ( just an old thread in Technical forum ) and I mentioned this same link.

http://www.motorcycle.com/how-to/mo-...to-lube-cables

Rednaxs60

mentions a lot of good info also.
Davek likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Most of the old bikes i work on never had the steering head, swing arm pivot, speedometer drive or drive shaft greased since new. When i did the 450, the wheel bearings had the original 1972 grease in them. It pains me when someone puts an old bike back on the road without servicing this stuff.
AZgl1800 and Rednaxs60 like this.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > GoldWingFacts.com and Motorcycle.com News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page