Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:38 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Texas View Post
Racers donít care about damaging the transmissions,the motors gear torn down often,when I raced and on the starting line we never used the clutch for anything except in the pits,when the green flag dropped just slam it into first,I never had a broken tranny,LUCKY? [email protected]
I rode my first motorcycle, a 150 dream, for some time with a broken clutch cable, couldn't afford one. Never had a problem with it, just get it rolling and put it in gear then shift like normal. Had to show a guy how to do it a year or so ago, he brought a truck out for me to work on and hauled a dual sport to ride home and broke the cable leaving my house.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Back in the 70s I rode a 500 H1 Kawasaki,it sat outside at work in the rain and when I started home,the temperature had dropped to below freezing and the water that egressed into the clutch cable froze the cable up,had to do the same as you Dave,it thawed out in the garage that night so I fixed it so water wouldnít get in.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 10:00 PM

Year: 97
Model: GL1500 SE
Auto and bike transmissions are very different animals. The gears are cut different and as noted the do engage gears not dogs. Snychros are there to speed match the gears getting ready to engage. Anyone who drove a manual and tryed to downshift into to low a gear has experienced synchros at work. It won;t go in at first then slips in with no clashing. There are all sort of things done to make these transmission shift faster and one technique is to replace the synchros with "dogs".

Bottom line is if you match the engine to the gear you don't need a clutch. You can do this in trucks, cars, bikes, anything really if it goes in smooth with no grind it's perfectly fine.
DaveO430 and Pure Texas like this.

97 GL1500 SE

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > GoldWingFacts.com and Motorcycle.com News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page