New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 10:19 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
To me it just seems like those folks "update" things so they can justify their jobs fixing the problems.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 07:39 AM

Model: 1993 GL1500
I too have reverted to the "classic" look. The new format might help the mods, but did nothing for me. It doesn't seem faster, I didn't care for the colors, and hate that sidebar thingy. It wouldn't even let me sign in, until I went back to the classic look, then had no problem. but what do I know, I'm old, cranky, and don't take kindly to change.

Four wheels move the body, TWO wheels move the soul!
post #63 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Sigh, us old fogies just like the ole yellow mellow look....

For moderation duties, ole is still better.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 09:30 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015

Changed mine to classic. Will try the new on once the dust settles.

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #65 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Model: 1994 GL1500 Interstate
Garage
Sounds like a lot of folks would argue that the new design IS the glitch, but I've stumbled upon something for the IT team to have a look at.... As I was browsing this particular thread I realized that the links inside the thread do NOT work anymore, they just link back to the main page:

1500 Rear Air Shock Rebuild

I found links to other related threads. When I clicked on them, I was directed back to the forum home page. Tried it several times with the same results. However, I copied the links from the thread and pasted into my browser search bar and the threads showed up in the search, and were fully accessible- just not via the links in the thread!

If it helps, I'm using Windows 8.1 and Firefox 36.0.4 (yeah, I need to update). I would include a screenshot but it's just gonna be a picture of the homepage. After conversing with a moderator about this we've concluded it's not a one-off issue. Broken links are no good, but at the same time I understand the need to "clean house" when it comes to *antiquated* code. I've seen stuff like this before and it usually gets sorted out eventually. The folks who run and maintain this site could use some honest-to-goodness feedback and bug reports I could type "this new format sucks and I'm going back to the old format" over and over like Bart Simpson writing on his chalkboard- that only tells the IT guys that I know how to throw a tantrum... A brief synopsis of the problem along with what browser and OS you're running and a screen capture would go a bit further helping get the kinks worked out. Oh, an easy way to get a screen capture for those who've never done that: Look for the PRT SC key, on my craptop it's bundled under the END key, I have to use the FN and PRT SC keys at the same time. This "takes the picture". Then open up a Paint document or similar and use the PASTE function- should drop the screen capture right in. Save as JPEG, BMP or whatever flavor of picture and upload it. Hope that helps.
post #66 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:16 PM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
dunno DadzToy, looks like it was thumbnails for me both times.

I am using Win7 desktop PC almost exclusively. Android stuff is too clumsy for me to mess with.
Me too John - Win 7 on my laptop - nothing has changed here - don't know what the heck changed forum wise... I use the "manage attachment" method of attaching photos and all of a sudden I see full size pictures... I see both your posts on the classic and new style forum worked - mine do not... Maybe you can kick this issue upstairs to VSJeff and he can investigate... It has got to be a setting somewhere that got reset with the new S/W...

Les

PS - I am going to try it again in the test forum...

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #67 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:36 PM

Garage
OK - some really weird stuff going on here... The forum attachment menu states that:

"The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1920 x 1200. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 4608 x 2592."

But yet, when I attempt to upload a larger file size, it will not take the photo and resize it... BUT - - - if I run the photo thru a resizing program and limit the file size to 95Megabyte, even though the actual picture size is larger than the stated 1920X1200 it WILL accept the picture and post it in thumbnail form... I still have not found an explanation as to why some of my photos are apearing in full size format rather than thumbnail size...

TECH SUPPORT - any theories???

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

GL1800 HPNAM9
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #68 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 01:59 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
this problem has been reported by me the very first time I noticed it last week, because I do a huge amount posting of my Forum Index links.

I just copy the Sub-Topic in my Bookmarks, and then the post will put that up, and all of the links below that sub-topic.

then I test the links to kick out the rare bad one.........
and then, the very day the Upgrade happened, nearly all of my Bookmarks were dirt.... instead of the 404 page error, you were redirected to the Main Page of the Forum...

Well, I got real vocal and Jeff is kicking some dirt onto the IT guy(s) who decided to change the URLs. it will be fixed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The pictures......... I try to presize all of my pictures to 800x600 or 1200x800 ish sizes....

I do this to keep them from spreading out so wide, that it makes the viewer has to scan sideways to view a picture. To me, that is simply rude... and I don't like it.

So, nearly all of my uploads have been okay....

I have not made any tests to see how large a picture the forum will accept and resize on its' own.... To me, that does not matter at all because I presize them all.

but, I will bring the last few posts up for Jeff's attention and see what can be done to correct for the discrepancies.

~ John

post #69 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 AM

Garage
Thanks John - appreciate that... I still haven't completely nailed down all the idiosyncrasies of this because sometimes my pictures post properly in thumbnail format even with my larger size... I have a feeling that it has to do with some pictures not being as large as others in terms of file size...

It's not a real big thing - just a little irritating and adds another step to the posting process... I use a very simple resizer and it doesn't take long to resize a given photo but I do store them on my computer full size as I use them for oter things as well...

Thanks again for looking into this...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

GL1800 HPNAM9
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #70 of 232 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Well I am afraid it is time for the old Silverfox to hang up and move on out. I do not understand anything about this new site. I have always been a basic user who really doesn't understand computers much and even less so any technical stuff.
All of a sudden I have adverts for crap littering the page and I have no idea if I can get rid of it or not.
I can't be bothered to start doing things at my end to resolve these issues for myself, so I am just going to bow out gracefully and let all the new members and those who understand all this computer stuff to get on with it.
I was an early member joining this site and you can tell by my post count that at one time I was always on here posting and enjoying the forum. Now I only pop in on odd occasions to see certain subjects like the Nassir 8 rally details and even that is awash with adverts for crap I don't want and most of it in America. Good luck everyone and I hope to meet some of you on the road sometime.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum > Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (GoldWingFacts.com)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page