LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1999
Make: test
Model: test
Garage
Attention - Password and Security Update

Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,
Helena
Community Management
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
that sticky post you put up above????

that is just exactly what I meant in another post about your Kindergarten IT folks not hashing this out on TEST FORUMS long before you released it into the wild on our forums.....

you should never have relied on other email servers to handle Volume changes like this, it should have only been done by a forum Reset to us as we logged in and then let the forum assign us a new password, then we would have gotten the new email, logged in with that new password, and then would we have had the Luxury of changing it to one we like better.

but no, you guys released it like a little kid in a Candy Store, sending out thousands of emails that got trapped as SPAM, and no one was able to get past that POS crap.....

I have been locked out of the forum since Midnight, and I lost a lot of sleep because I could not help the people who have my phone number and were texting me to help them get on the forum....

why should this have happened at all???? it SHOULD NOT HAVE.

DON'T EVER PULL THIS KIND OF STUNT AGAIN, or I will retire from being a Moderator here, and say Fuc It All.
Hodgy likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Strong words, boss but I like it that way. Let them know that we are something. Dont know what but for sure we are something. I dont think they want us to become something else.
AZgl1800 likes this.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
One thing I will never do, is back off from something I believe strongly in....

I have shown that on forums ever since I found one....
some forums have asked me to leave because I won't kowtoe to being a nice friendly little sardine in a can with the rest of the sardines who no longer control their environment....

if they want to have a moderator who will protect the sheep, they better start listening up.....

I am "this close" to telling all m/c forums that are owned and operated by Vertical Scope to go to hell in a Hand Basket....

We have lost a very good forum member, Dusty Boots "Ken Ventress" whom I was really happen to be able to chow down food with, and have good talk over the same table with at the NAGF rally up in Meadows of Dan, Virginia......

I will be back at the event, for as long as I can manage to get there.

Vertical Scope pissed off Dusty Boots so bad, that he will never, ever, grace a forum page that is owned by them. and he will continue to vociferously tell anyone, and everyone, that Vertical Scope is a Piece of Shiit....

this mess has me really riled up..

up until 3 days ago, they could not find a better moderator who supported them to the hilt. they have told me that in emails, and PMs, and in open threads... but right now? I am pissed big time.

Hodgy likes this.

~ John

Last edited by AZgl1800; 06-16-2016 at 06:27 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:18 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I'm pretty close to being with John. There are plenty of folks I already know, former members here on NAGF and if anything like this happens again I will be over there full time too. You guys ever heard the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?
AZgl1800 and Hodgy like this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:10 PM

Careful now Vertical Scope, I will go with my shepards.

Follow me on the spot

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:31 PM
mr irrelevant

Model: 2009 GL 1800
Garage
wow talk about a pain in the a$$ to get signed back in.....wtf????

Mark
Current ride is a 09 gl1800 level 3
Wild Rhinos Iowa Chapter
GWRRA #410601 Chapter A Black Sheep Squadron Asst Chap Directors
IOWA PATRIOT GUARD
Now an honorary Newfie!! We have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so are now members of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:38 AM

If Hildabeast would of made her password that secure that Romanian couldnt have gotten her emails

Follow me on the spot

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Model: 97' SE, Two Tone Red --> 124,024 km as of November 2015

I am no IT guy but I can see that there was little thought put into this initiative by Vertical Scope. What a pile of cra** !

"A lack of planning on your part does not make it a emergency on mine." . . . . . . .

Avatar Photo was taken in the Crowsnest Pass between Alberta and British Columbia on Highway 3.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1999
Make: test
Model: test
Garage
I just wanted to share some facts with you to help all of you understand that there was as much planning as there could have been.

When a breach of information happens on a site, you have 5-7 business days to correct the issue and issue password resets for all sites.

The breach was only brought to our attention very shorty before the article went out, since the breach was from a third party plug we would not have noticed it.

We can not use the VB software to send out password resets since it is not a secure way and would not comply with the law. The password reset had to be done the way it was.

The email that went out were sent correctly on our end, but email providers decided to throttle them or block them as spam, even though we alerted them. Once we found that out we went with a different route of sending through Amazon and paying for them to go out.

If you are having trouble with your reset we have given you options on how to contact us. And we have extra people on hand to answer questions and issues.

Again we are sorry this is an inconvenience and if there was a better way to get this done, we would have, that i can guarantee you 100% we are doing the best we can with the time we have.

Helena

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum > Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (GoldWingFacts.com)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page