LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
as you recall most likely, it did not work that well for me anyway,
and I just gave up and called you direct on my cellphone.

funny thing about that, I never received a notice, or a bill for doing that.

. edit, got to wondering about, while I was gone to Meadows of Dan, VA a new bill came in to the house.

I just printed it out and found it.

$33.91 for a 69 minute visit

so, that little enjoyable chat we had, was a lot of fun, and I did enjoy it.
but, I need to find a internet portal that is not as aggravating as Skype...
it has been junk IMO ever since Microsoft bought it and changed the way it works.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:50 PM

How dare you people just decide to reset everyones password. This is the biggest bunch of bullshit I have had to put up with in here and is the last straw. I will not be coming back anytime soon. Who the hells idea was this anyway and why? It took forever to get your change password to accept a new one. Kept saying my new password didn't match my old one..... DUHHHHH!
Good bye
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1999
Make: test
Model: test
Garage
Hey guys,

I understand your concerns with this sudden, and seemingly aggressive change.
Recently it was brought to our attention that the developer of a 3rd party plugin that we and other forums use had their database breached and scraped. This included user data, as such to ensure that no accounts are compromised we are initialing this new security update.
We are being aggressive about this for member's protection.

If there are any other questions/concerns/feedback, please feel free to post them here.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

Richard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:22 PM

Year: 1984
Model: '84 GL1200A
Garage
Instead of being "aggressive" about fixing your screw-ups once the horse is out of the gate, why not try being "aggressive" about using a better system in the first place?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...calscope-hack/

I'm against the homogenization of the motorcycle industry as it is, and Vertical Scope is way up near the top of my list of offenders. VS and Bonnier Group might be following some sort of "business model" in their eyes, but from my seat in the bleachers all you're doing is acting like vultures (and inept ones at that).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:41 PM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
i dont understand, i dont have anything they can steal from me on this website, i dont share anything that i dont think it should be public so why do we need to use a super high tech hacker proof password?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:17 PM

Garage
The issue is that in many cases, people use the same user names and passwords across multiple sites. While you may not care in this instance, imagine if you're someone who's made that mistake and is using the same user name/password combo on sites like Amazon, eBay, or other sites which may contain information like credit card numbers, addresses, etc. The information that was stolen from this site can be used to mount theft attempts at other locations.

Hacking technology is to the point where very effective attacks can be carried out with relatively modest hardware in a fairly short period of time.

The larger issue is that VerticalScope has been compromised, in part to not taking the sort of prudence and precaution that they should in maintaining the back end of their systems. Since they've bought (what seems like) damn near every motorcycle forum on the internet, it would appear that they're trying to get away with the least possible amount of maintenance on their holdings.

MORAL OF THE STORY: If you use the username/password combos from this site on any other website, you should change your passwords on those sites immediately.

Site security is a major concern in the digital age, even if most people don't understand why.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddykitchen View Post
The issue is that in many cases, people use the same user names and passwords across multiple sites. While you may not care in this instance, imagine if you're someone who's made that mistake and is using the same user name/password combo on sites like Amazon, eBay, or other sites which may contain information like credit card numbers, addresses, etc. The information that was stolen from this site can be used to mount theft attempts at other locations.
And triple locking the barn door after the horses are out is going to help how?

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 PM

Garage
It's not. The damage is done. The best thing that forum members can do now is change their passwords at any site that used the same username/passwords as this site.

VerticalScope needs to be more proactive about forum security, but I'm sure that doesn't mesh with their "buy everything and milk it for all the advertising you can get" business model.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 04:01 PM

Year: 2003, 1993 and 2004
Make: Yamaha, and two Hondas
Model: 1993 Aspencade and a 2004 1800 Roadsmith Trike
Garage
So what am I supposed to do if I was originally registered with a now non existent email address? Wasn't sent a temporary password of course. System doesn't recognize my current one of course. Can't do squat here.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Yes, it was poorly done.
It should have allowed us to log in, then make sure our email address is updated FIRST and then have us change our password AFTER we have logged in.

that way, no problems would have ever occurred for us.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum > Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (GoldWingFacts.com)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page