Is It Time To Write An Obit For The Site? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Scott View Post
What do you consider normal? There have been 115 different people on the forums yesterday and today, from the members list sorted by last activity.

There is a truism about forums...

most folks just read for their enjoyment, but for whatever reason, don't feel like they have enough info to help a poster, and simply don't post....

If there are some "lurkers out there" reading this thread, please step up and let us hear from you.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:04 PM

Year: 1981
Model: 1100
Garage
Lurker

Yup been lurking. Facebook responds quicker than here as far as questions go. Yes a lot of long timers have left here each I have talked too has their own reasons. I for one missed the forum. was off for three years due to work and my password not letting me back in. Read a short post by John and fixe it in a jiffy.

I have noticed when a question or request is posed More non-answers tend to shut the post down than actual real answers.

those answering on facebook refer to glowing docs. I am back here now looking for wiring diagrams.

They are all perfect
Last samuri
post #23 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:27 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
What do you consider normal? There have been 115 different people on the forums yesterday and today, from the members list sorted by last activity.
But I can remember when there were several hundred and sometime 1000 users online.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
I can remember when the forum ran at more than dial-up speeds.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #25 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:38 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
I donít know what caused the downfall of posters but here is what I do know.

Goldwingfacts.com does not have a rally to bring members together.
Goldwingfacts.com does not have a forum mascot.
Goldwingfacts.com does not have the kanwings wild rhinos group.
Goldwingfacts.com has lost many prolific posters that have moved to another forum and then on to face book.
Goldwingfacts.com still has a dedicated group of folks that help as much as possible and are holding the forumís head above water. This group is here, day and night, to help both the new and seasoned wing riders. You know who you are and I appreciate you being here.

I hope weíre not too late to change directions.
bobalou likes this.

Charlie
post #26 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:15 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow View Post
I donít know what caused the downfall of posters but here is what I do know.

Goldwingfacts.com does not have a rally to bring members together.
Goldwingfacts.com does not have a forum mascot.
Goldwingfacts.com does not have the kanwings wild rhinos group.
Goldwingfacts.com has lost many prolific posters that have moved to another forum and then on to face book.
Goldwingfacts.com still has a dedicated group of folks that help as much as possible and are holding the forumís head above water. This group is here, day and night, to help both the new and seasoned wing riders. You know who you are and I appreciate you being here.

I hope weíre not too late to change directions.
We sort of still have a rally, https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...th-2019-a.html also the midwest M&G every labor day weekend, info on that for this year soon I hope.
We had a mascot, don't know where he went.
The rhinos were a pretty small group in the grand scheme.
I don't get the attraction to facebook.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #27 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 11:49 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
But I can remember when there were several hundred and sometime 1000 users online.
Was this before or after Steve sold the forum?

Have there been any additions to the Bikers Workshop since Steve left?

A forum specific to product reviews would be helpful. A list of all of the various accessories in one place with links to reviews by users that have them would encourage posting.

Spending more time on my wife's hobby than the wing.

post #28 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 AM

Year: 1985
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
We sort of still have a rally, https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...th-2019-a.html also the midwest M&G every labor day weekend, info on that for this year soon I hope.
We had a mascot, don't know where he went.
The rhinos were a pretty small group in the grand scheme.
I don't get the attraction to facebook.
The rally is not a Goldwingfacts rally anymore see https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...mer-rally.html

The mascot was last seen in North Carolina three years ago as reported by jobe05 whose last activity date is listed as N/A. https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...thread-88.html

facebook has the advantage of being phone friendly with its own app. facebook also has unlimited photo storage. The forum has a 10 MB limit for attachments for the free accounts (I have hit 6.3 MB with 33 attachments) which can be filled with 3 or 4 pictures posted full size. Facebook also has some moderately addicting games. Unfortunately, it also has a lot of propaganda and fake information that people (and apparently Russian bots) like to share. Facebook makes it very easy to send information to specific people (just include their name in the response). Facebook can also be used to log in to other places including Goldwingfacts.com

Spending more time on my wife's hobby than the wing.

post #29 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 06:40 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Was this before or after Steve sold the forum?

Before

Have there been any additions to the Bikers Workshop since Steve left?

No, I don't know if anyone has access to be able to do that.

A forum specific to product reviews would be helpful. A list of all of the various accessories in one place with links to reviews by users that have them would encourage posting.

That's a something to think about.
Thanks for your input.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #30 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:49 PM
Toolcraft4100

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: '91 Aspencade
I am more of a lurker than a participant because my automotive/motorcycle/goldwing knowledge is limited to my personal experience which may or may not be correct. Whenever I have attempted to answer a question a better answer comes along later. And my comments are seldom responded to. But I'm cool with all that.
Seems like alot of the guys who post on this forum are experts and guys who have done multiple builds. Guys with cash to do cool stuff and customize. I think (or assume, or imagine) that you venerable rider/wrenchers are not being replaced by younger guys who are developing the skills and cred that you guys have.

Another observation is that you guys really stress troubleshooting and diagnosing mechanical and ridability issues. Seems like alot of guys just want to pour in some seafoam or replace a part.
Guys who want to restore, ride and maintain a big adventure-touring bike may be a disappearing breed.
All of the above are just my personal thoughts.

toolcraft4100

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum > Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (GoldWingFacts.com)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page