Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (GoldWingFacts.com) (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/15-verticalscope-forum-support-help-goldwingfacts-com/)
-   -   Is It Time To Write An Obit For The Site? (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/15-verticalscope-forum-support-help-goldwingfacts-com/665995-time-write-obit-site.html)

AZgl1800 01-09-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...s/viewpost.gif

If there are some "lurkers out there" reading this thread, please step up and let us hear from you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolcraft4100 (Post 5814121)
I did. And, typically, got no reply or acknowledgement.

Are you sure that you started a "New Thread", or just happened to ask the question inside of a thread that was already running?

I just now looked and every thread you have started has replies to it.

https://i.imgur.com/mrJDdXC.png

Wes Scott 01-09-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolcraft4100 (Post 5813485)
I am more of a lurker than a participant because my automotive/motorcycle/goldwing knowledge is limited to my personal experience which may or may not be correct. Whenever I have attempted to answer a question a better answer comes along later. And my comments are seldom responded to. But I'm cool with all that.
Seems like alot of the guys who post on this forum are experts and guys who have done multiple builds. Guys with cash to do cool stuff and customize. I think (or assume, or imagine) that you venerable rider/wrenchers are not being replaced by younger guys who are developing the skills and cred that you guys have.

Another observation is that you guys really stress troubleshooting and diagnosing mechanical and ridability issues. Seems like alot of guys just want to pour in some seafoam or replace a part.
Guys who want to restore, ride and maintain a big adventure-touring bike may be a disappearing breed.
All of the above are just my personal thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toolcraft4100 (Post 5814121)
I did. And, typically, got no reply or acknowledgement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5814155)
What were you looking for? We're glad you're here.

Toolcraft was responding to John's request for lurkers to speak up.

He brings up one of the recurring problems with forums (and other groups that involve people). People who have been together for a long time get comfortable with each other and have a shared history. It makes it difficult for new people to become involved since they do not have the same background.

Another issue he brings up is status/expertise. How many times do people just wait for the expert to answer instead providing information? It is a natural tendency for people to let others who know more than they do answer questions so they don't risk being embarrassed. I have even seen responses to questions along the lines of "we have seen this before, one of the experts will give you the answer you need before long".

Wes Scott 01-09-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5814283)
Are you sure that you started a "New Thread", or just happened to ask the question inside of a thread that was already running?

I just now looked and every thread you have started has replies to it.

John,

I understood toolcraft4100's comment not to apply to questions he was asking but to comments he had made in response to other peoples questions/comments.

Specifically, in this thread you asked for lurkers to speak up. A lurker spoke up and there was no post that responded directly to the comments that were made by the lurker or said "Hey thanks for speaking up". There were no likes for the post either.

Something that might help (although it is more work for the experts) would be for the experts to look at the other responses and quote responses that provide useful information but don't quite have all of the information or have something not quite right.

Is there a way for moderators to get a count of how many of a person's posts are quoted? It doesn't show up in the statistics directly. If you hover over the page number option in the quotes section it will show how many quotes you have. Of course, the number of quotes shows posts you have quoted plus the number of times you have been quoted. (Personally at 172 for quotes with 213 posts total).

Bike...and Dennis 01-10-2019 01:51 AM

I agree with Wes. Some people get no respect.

DenverWinger 01-10-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5813283)
If there are some "lurkers out there" reading this thread, please step up and let us hear from you.

(Wasn't LURKING, This is first I noticed this thread...) :D

I too have noticed the drop in post count (usually just read 'Tech', 'General', 'Misc' and 'New Members' and ignore the Alphabet games), from my perspective has not hit 'Docs as hard as 'Facts. And I usually don't check the 1800 Forums at 'Docs as I don't usually have much familiarity with that machine. I do read them once in a while and catch up on the unread posts though. The 4 cyl forums at 'Docs seem to come-and-go in activity but the 6 cyl forums are always pretty steady.

I don't know anything about what's going on in FarceBarf :ROFL: either... ...and don't care, either... :D

I suspect it's just seasonal though. 'Docs seems to get a nice boost in activity early in the month with Newsletter Scott puts out. Used to get the one from here (Motorcycle.com) but that's been a while, I shut down e-mail notifications on "subscribed threads" 'cause they were making a mess of my e-mail at work, and I likely killed the newsletter in the process.. I don't really miss the 'Facts newsletter, pretty much just advertising from Motorcycle.com anyway...

There, I Posted! Now next time I hit this thread I can be LURKING

Peter Goldwing 01-11-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverWinger (Post 5814529)
There, I Posted! Now next time I hit this thread I can be LURKING

Or one can talk about vacuum, time travel and horizontal line. Everything helps a bit.

Rogertrider 01-11-2019 09:54 AM

It's been a long cold winter

DenverWinger 01-11-2019 07:46 PM

(lurk - lurk - lurk) :rofl:

Screw 01-12-2019 08:54 PM

Like someone has said earlier I have 3 FB groups I operate. Sorry i havnt checked in my 2 boys came home for the holidays and just left this week. I've been watching from a far, been busy reloading the bullets we shot while they were here I like to keep 1000 on hand for the Zombie's! I got another wing today to put back together though, but its second in line to my youngest sons Shadow on my lift. Medical issues still with my knee after second surgery, hoping to be medical idle by March and retire in April. Trying to keep my ducks all in a straight line, which is tough. Truck paid off last month!!! Left 20,000 on the house so i can get the write off every year, but paid 73,000 on it as well. So yea, Im feeling really good!!!! FREE!!! Well almost. But yea, if your hurting and want to complain Im here to listen or if you feel good Im here to hear that too. Lets hear it!!!

Wes Scott 01-13-2019 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Any idea what these statistics mean? How they are counted? They are under the Tools Menu, then Quick Links, then User Tagging Statistics.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...?do=statistics