Is It Time To Write An Obit For The Site? - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
It may be a losing battle but, if we work at it, maybe we can stall the inevitable for a while. Phones and Facebook are what the people seem to want and they are hooked.

And, we have to face the possibility that the majority of those lurkers aren't interested in being a part of, or friends with, a community.

The main thing is, we don't want them to see pictures of us. That would scare them off for ever.
JamesPal likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Year: 1999
Make: test
Model: test
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
well i'm a lurker also. I come on the board and read a few post, I see no need to post a answer for a question that's already been answered correctly. I post a few ride reports and while someone is viewing them there never seems to be a reply so I have no idea if you guys like them or not so I stopped doing ride reports. lately I've been spending more time on ADVrider than any other forum. I have a facebook page and for a long time I never used it but a friend told me after looking at some of the pic's on my phone to post some pic's of my motorcycle adventures on FB because he and a lot of my other friends were not on M/C forums so that's when I started using FB and that's what I use FB for
that's probably also why you don't see activity in forums. there's a lot of already answered questions. a lot newbies don't know how to search nor is the younger generation keen on reading older material.
there's sometimes a disconnect between these messages. No one responds to questions that already have answers to them, and then the newer crowd thinks the site is dead or no one is willing to help.

Lee
post #63 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:54 PM

Year: 2008
Make: Honda
Model: GL 1800
Long time ago I saw this. It may be irrelevant on this forum because the moderators are pretty easy going.Here I talked guns , politics and other crap and they still allow me around.
However the following could be true in many forums.

"Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
They got rid of all the colorful people that gave this board its personality. And for those that are left, those people will no longer risk getting embroiled in controversy for fear of getting banned.

It's the same thing that killed the Rider's Rally board. It was once a vibrant board until those entrusted with too much power stepped in.

A good analogy would be auto racing. No true fan really wants to see anyone get hurt or killed. But it is the danger of auto racing that draws people to it more than anything else. That includes fans and drivers. If you were to take away all the danger and render the sport completely safe, it wouldn't be any more exciting than a video game.

So for those who are all for the "group hugs" and "why can't we all just get along" way of doing things, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. Spring forward to today, and you got what you asked for. What do you think of your new squeaky clean forum now? Boring!!!! Way to go.

This is still a great resource, but then again, so is an encyclopedia. And they both have about the same amount of excitement. A forum is supposed to be more than a resource."

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:07 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Peter,
you must save things like a hoarder....

I remember seeing something like that, but no way would I be able to find it again.

guess I am "the new crowd" of Hardened Enforcers

Steve Saunders initially wanted to keep guns totally forbidden, as he is from Ireland, and those folks have a wholly different perspective on guns than what is considered to be "everyday attire" here in the US of A....

Opinions aside, but if the DumbOcrats have their way, the USA is doomed as we know it now.
and the 2nd Amendment will be deleted from our precious Constitution.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:22 PM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaWingAndaPrayer View Post
face space , tweetering, and the like I expect take some of the traffic from the forum pages.

If information/questions are posting on those types of media , I don't and will not see it . I refuse to join/use that type of service.

My wife does use one of those, but she does not belong/use any forums.

The few other Goldwing forums I frequent all seem slow.

I agree. Most all of the other forums are really down in the number of posts. I don't think the social sites are taking much away from here. Especially with the number of hacks they've been experiencing.
post #66 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Year: 2008
Model: GL 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Peter,
you must save things like a hoarder....
Not really, John. I got the boot over that post and a few additional truths that I posted in the former forum. They deleted them since then. The moderator saw himself as God. A lot of other people were booted but most saw his true colors and left.

I make sense all the time. The problem is you only listen intermittently

Follow me on the spot

post #67 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
Hmmm,
now who would that have been ??

ummmm, thinking, ummmmmmmm, ah, betta let it go.

~ John

post #68 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmin View Post
that's probably also why you don't see activity in forums. there's a lot of already answered questions. a lot newbies don't know how to search nor is the younger generation keen on reading older material.
there's sometimes a disconnect between these messages. No one responds to questions that already have answers to them, and then the newer crowd thinks the site is dead or no one is willing to help.

Lee
when I joined back in '09 this place was big and full of info, I remember searching for info on my 1500 wing and got info overload, too much info! the other problem was that the other Goldwing forums either had no info on 1500 wings and a few of those wing forums had no info on any wing

iba 58509-mile eater
HAT
MOA
'75CB750K,'79cb750f,'79CB750/9k,
'93gl1500se,
'85CB450SC,'05SunL70
'06ST1300a........william
post #69 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
when I joined back in '09 this place was big and full of info, I remember searching for info on my 1500 wing and got info overload, too much info! the other problem was that the other Goldwing forums either had no info on 1500 wings and a few of those wing forums had no info on any wing
we still have nearly all of that info....
a few threads "got lost" in the bookmarks because the IT team in their lunacy of thinking about it one night at 0430 after too many suds, decided it would be "really neat" to just ARBITRARILY rename each forum in Sequential numerical order....

Never mind, that I had well over 10,000 bookmarks that link to a specific Post in a Specific thread......

That physically LOST all of our Gallery Photos in one fell swoop.... they just simply were not carried over from the old server.......... that destroyed the value of some extremely valuable threads on Trike buildups that had photos hosted here on 98% of the posts.

I lost 50 percent of my bookmarks.... now, when someone is looking for something, and they have not found it, I use Google Advanced Search restricting it to this web domain and usually can find the old threads again. when I do that, I make new bookmarks....

doing that just now, for the term "gl1500" returned About 32,400 results
(0.38 seconds)

Lots of posts don't use the 'gl' prefix, so let's do that search again.

That returns About 37,500 results (0.36 seconds)

meaning that there are 5,000+ posts that used only the term "1500"

so, 32400 + 37,500 = 69,900 posts.....
unless you want to argue that '1500' was also seen by the first search?

still, 37,500 is a big number if that is all there are... which I doubt, as it was a Specific Search that I looked for.

~ John

post #70 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:40 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
There are quite a few Goldwing forums out there including 2 for the F6B Goldwing.
Some have the 'Class Clowns' running the show with their snide remarks towards members and then there are the ones with good members willing to help. I've thinned the forums down to about 6 total. Wait until spring and all the questions pop up like spring flowers, as people get their bikes ready. The calm before the storm.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Miscellaneous Forum > Verticalscope Forum Support / Help (GoldWingFacts.com)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page