Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - 85 GL1200 Water Pump Replacement - Oil Pump Seal Question

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
rhoneck

Post imported post

Hello, I decided to change the timing belts on my 85 GL1200 Interstate (40,000 miles) because they were still original. Once I had it apart, the belts and tensioners still looked like new but I replaced the belts anyways. My bike had developed a couple drops of oil coming out of the weep hole ever time I shut the motor off. I figured, as long as this is all pulled apart, I might as well remove the front cover and replace all the o-rings and the water pump as well. Again everything looked good but I still went ahead and replaced the water pump anyhow. Here’s my question. I bought an aftermarket gasket set that someone recommended on this web site. I noticed the set had one extra crush washer in the package that for whatever reason was installed, or shouldI say just layinginto the back of the oil pump seal. Is this correct, or was it just placed in there to protect it during shipping. The original seal that I pulled out of the bike did not have a washer installed inside of it, nor have I ever seen any seal anywhere use a washer. Any ideas? I attached a photo of the old seal, new seal and the extra washer that was shipped with the kit. I used three crush washers on the water pump and one crush washer on the drain plug in front of the cover and I still have this mystery washer left over. Any ideas guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Honda.jpg (47.9 KB, 91 views)

Rick
82 Honda Express (weed trimmer on wheels)
79 Suzuki GS 750L
87 Harley FXLR Custom
85 Goldwing GL1200I

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome