Intake manifold design - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Intake manifold design

Hey to all, I have just finished rebuilding my weber DGAV 32/36 carb for conversion to single carb on my 1200. I found a few threads for jetting and have basically brought it back to the stock configuration, I am trying to design/ build an intake for it any idea's? I was going to use a porsche 914 plenum and runners but I couldn't find one. I am thinking about sheet metal and thin steel tubing, I can weld the whole thing together but If I use aluminum I would have to jig everything and have my neighbor tig it together. ANy recommendations, I will be heating the intake with coolant which brings me to another point, I can weld tubing to the plenum and runners to heat it but using aluminum will present another tig job for my neighbor and I don't think i have built up enough favors for that!!!! I figure I would use the same size tubing as the intake "elbow" from the original carb setup but I am not sure of that either. Any info on intake design for single/2 barrel carb setup would be great. Thanks

I may have stinky farts, but at least I can ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:03 AM

Post imported post

Use exhaust tubing the same size as the rubber manifold inlets on your bike. Mine was made using 4 "J" bends cut and welded together. You don't need to heat it if the carb is the right size. I used an old 1500 Volks Beetle carb. It doesn't sweat or freeze up and runs great. Mine is an 1100 but the 1200 isn't much if any different.

Bernie

GL1500 Valkyrie
Work for tomorrow, live for today.
Live life like you mean it!
American Legion Member
Patriot Guard Rider Member
Vietnam Veteran 68/69
MSF Instructor
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 AM

Model: 1983 GL 1100 I
Send a message via AIM to dan filipi
Post imported post

stinkyfartur

I've been putting a materials list together in my head and was concidering using copper plate and plain old copper tubing for coolant heat.
Copper is easy to cut and solder with tools I already have.

Another idea is using plastic.
With the wide selection of glues available, that too is easy to assemble and plumb.

Anyway, just kinda thinking out loud.

1983 GL1100 Interstate with 1200 engine, single carb, and C5 ignition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

When I got my Weber equipped Aspencade, Raymond gave me this manifold setup to try someday. It fits a Weber carb perfectly, and it has the 4 runners you can hook. However you can, it's up to you. But a good start.

Pretty small, but looks efficient. If you need more pics, I can take a pic of mine tonight.

Here on Ebay

You don't have to use the tubes supplied, but the manifold looks good.

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM

Year: 1989
Make: GL1500
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mainwiz3
Post imported post

I have a 1981 gl1100i that I'm making a manifold that replaces the air box and carbs using the head elbows. I have access to mill and lathe plus I TIG so I have and advantage here. I'm using a Weber 32/36 dvg carb, after it in I'll figure the correct jetting using air/fuel ratio meter. I think the main issue will be at idle may possibly need to go down one or two jets. But I'm attemting to keep the installation simple slip into elbow boots tighten clamp. Ever need to put stock carbs back in simple matter to do. But this is half the fun of an old wing.

Tell me it can't be done and I will make it happen if I can make or get the parts made

Previous bikes
76 GL 1000
77 GL 1000
81 Interstate (Daily Bike)
81 Interstate ( Future standard with some twists)
82 Aspencade (restoration Project been sitting since 95 possibly trike)
Current
89 GL1500 Aspencade
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Post imported post

Been running a 2 barrel Holley on my 1100 for about 4 years now . Made the intake by converting the original airbox into the plenum. It's not pretty but it was super cheap and has held up well. The Holley was super cheap and has really brought the bike back to life after fighting the original carbs for years... Feel free to check it out: http://www.htc.net/~squirts/plastic.htm

Squirts\' Biker Page
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Banned

Post imported post

mainwiz3 wrote:
Quote:
I have a 1981 gl1100i that I'm making a manifold that replaces the air box and carbs using the head elbows. I have access to mill and lathe plus I TIG so I have and advantage here. I'm using a Weber 32/36 dvg carb, after it in I'll figure the correct jetting using air/fuel ratio meter. I think the main issue will be at idle may possibly need to go down one or two jets. But I'm attemting to keep the installation simple slip into elbow boots tighten clamp. Ever need to put stock carbs back in simple matter to do. But this is half the fun of an old wing.
mainwiz3, I see you're online right now.

What ever happened with your 1100 single-carb project?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page