Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Single Carburetor - which one?

155K views 593 replies 66 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
I'm running the Weber 32/36 Prog. right now.
What do you use?
What would you use?
Why?

My next project will be the Solex 30PICT-1 like the one below.

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
#28 ·
#29 ·
imported post

I just posted the Info on another post, a repeat post kinda about the BackYard Site where we did these conversions, alot of Info. WE had to commbine the two site or all the Info that was gathered over the years would obviously been lost, No thanks to msn:X, but a big thanks to Vic !! CapMid my conversion, as of to date is the Holley/Weber 32/36, whatmight bethe CFM on that model, any Ideas:shock:?? :coollep:Thanks,Bob

#30 ·
imported post

Bob, If you have the Holley 5200 (a Weber 32/36 manufactured under license by Holley, known simply as the Holley/Weber) and it is aftermarket, you could have one of two. The small primary 23mm flowed 235 CFM and the large primary 26mm flowed 270 CFM, either of which provides enough flow capability for our GLs.

Measuring your primary venturi will tell you which one you have. That's all I can tell 'ya, but I'm sure you deduced that much already...

#32 ·
#33 ·
imported post

Bob... If you have a similar carb as the one pictured, I'd say that you probably have the 26mm primary / 27mm secondary 270 CFM variety.... as evidenced by the "70" stamped on the filter base.

BTW, that seems like a really fair price..

#34 ·
imported post

Mr.GrayGlen, the link you indicated are the Photos from the old web site saved before MSN shut us down, it was the only place we could transfer them Ibelieve:). And thisis the link where we saved the old posts which containslots of info on carb conversions,...http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/viewforum.php?f=93 . These are our old posts saved to Vic'sWeb site, thanks goes to him other wise both links which holds welltime spent ideas would have been lost:clapper::clapper:!!! :waving::waving:Bob PS, Thanks CPMID;);)

#36 ·
imported post

We love spares.. :)

#38 ·
imported post

Extra carburetors... Spares...

I thought you meant the carb was a spare.... ooops..:?

#40 ·
imported post

I gotcha.... :D

#42 ·
imported post

Okay I've checked out the 1200 wing site and I like the way its laid out. Much more efficient for our topic of discussion. Thanks for poointing me to it.

Now I've been doing some research and found that I don't think I will try a solex. I think now I will try a weber 34 DMTR that is from a 1.6 VW Golf which is jetted already to a 28/32.

Is anyone currently running a weber jetted to this size?
How does it run?
Is there a flat spot in the second stage?
What kind of fuel MPG are you getting?
How is the pep?
Does it have any giddyup and GO?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions but this idea now has taken root and I want to try and do it right the first time.

#43 ·
imported post

Solex chart.... thus far:

Attachments

#45 ·
imported post

my question is,was you people around 3 yrs. ago when I was
doing my R&D on the 1000 & 1100cc kit that I sell. Now testing a 1200cc manifold also using a VW carb. and wonder
if it will always need extra warm up time. Open for suggistons. ldwingnut.com

#46 ·
imported post

Around where 3 years ago? :?
Looks like you and I have just joined this group....
Myself, I've had essentially a zero social presence on the WWW until a few months ago, mostly due to my employment.

But I be a free man now... :D

#49 ·
imported post

Electrics...
It's the only way I see it happening.

Temperatures here are in the 30's and 40's now. Calling for snow tonight and sporadically throughout the weekend. 29 degrees F this morning on my thermometer. MyGL has noticed the change. My jetting is off slightly to begin with, and the cold has exaggerated the problem. Been riding the 900 lately as a result. Piping hot air into the intake is not the answer as sweating may/will result. I'm trying to find the right combination of product to instantly (or as close to "instant" as I can achieve) provide manifold heat prior to the engine reaching normal operating temperature. Planning for 12V electrically heated Type-3 manifold testing commencing next weekend...

I'm .... neutralistic .... in the materials I've used so far concerning the aluminum VW manifold. More suited for PVC, yet I've not started construction with that material yet. It will work though, once I find the appropriate, dedicatedmaterials for aluminum, and then for PVC.

Have ordered PVC sheet and bar stock. Manifold construction in this direction will probably happen first part of next month, as I've been testing various PVC pieces and assemblies with gasoline for permeationwhich won't conclude until the end of this month. I should test the new stuff when it comes in, but I won't. PVC also to be electrically heated.

This amount of cold, this early in the year is new to me and I should've started testing by now, but unfortunately have had other priorities.

#50 ·
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Electrics...
It's the only way I see it happening.

Temperatures here are in the 30's and 40's now. Calling for snow tonight and sporadically throughout the weekend. 29 degrees F this morning on my thermometer. MyGL has noticed the change. My jetting is off slightly to begin with, and the cold has exaggerated the problem. Been riding the 900 lately as a result. Piping hot air into the intake is not the answer as sweating may/will result. I'm trying to find the right combination of product to instantly (or as close to "instant" as I can achieve) provide manifold heat prior to the engine reaching normal operating temperature. Planning for 12V electrically heated Type-3 manifold testing commencing next weekend...

I'm .... neutralistic .... in the materials I've used so far concerning the aluminum VW manifold. More suited for PVC, yet I've not started construction with that material yet. It will work though, once I find the appropriate, dedicatedmaterials for aluminum, and then for PVC.

Have ordered PVC sheet and bar stock. Manifold construction in this direction will probably happen first part of next month, as I've been testing various PVC pieces and assemblies with gasoline for permeationwhich won't conclude until the end of this month. I should test the new stuff when it comes in, but I won't. PVC also to be electrically heated.

This amount of cold, this early in the year is new to me and I should've started testing by now, but unfortunately have had other priorities.
looking forward to your report.

#51 ·
imported post

I'm excited BM, but this weather is a bit hard for me to plan around. Weather forecasting is accurate enough, but I continually dismiss it with less than appreciated results.

I was hoping to spend time on it this weekend, but the girls bikes are being put up for the winter and each has their turn with me on prepping, and performing their own maintenance tasks for the hibernation.

Solo prep is not an option for eitheryet. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.