Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Single Carburetor - which one?

155K views 593 replies 66 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
I'm running the Weber 32/36 Prog. right now.
What do you use?
What would you use?
Why?

My next project will be the Solex 30PICT-1 like the one below.

Attachments

See less See more
#127 ·
imported post

I put in about 3 ounces with the tank full of gas.

Don't want to put any more in, cause it frees up all the accumulated junk from the last 32 years.

And considering it's that old I think she runs pretty darn good!

Saturday I'm gonna see if my wife would like to cruise around a little.

#128 ·
imported post

Glad to hear you got it to run right, that's one for success!!!!!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:Keep usposted on your future findings with this, I for one am excited for you!!!!! Now I am wanting to get busy on mine if,............. :cheeky1::cheeky1:Good Job:clapper:Later Bob

#131 ·
imported post

It is nestled in under that fake tank, behind those shiney chrome carb cover thingies.
If you don't know what to look for you don't know it's even in there.
And with that square shaped aircleaner you can't hear it, either. Take off the cleaner however ....:D:shock::bat::bat::bat::bat::cooldj:

#139 ·
imported post

I can't either. My stock system went sour with in two weeks of getting the bike.

This setup has a good even idle, pulls from 1100 to 5000 or 6000 with no hick-ups, and if you snap the throttle open like for drag racing, the bike will leave you sitting on the ground if you aren't holding on tight or don't have a backrest to stop you from sliding off.

It will flat out move the mail when you want it to.
Make sure your brakes are up to snuff, too.

Gotta get the DynaS ignitor on there and see what that does to it.

#140 ·
imported post

I have no #1940 figure as of yet...

Attachments

#142 ·
imported post

KbOou,...John, could you posts some pictures for us since ya got it running good!! CapMid, I was fooling around and checking the Holley 1945 and there in the same family as the 1940. They seem to look different from what I can gather,.. but my eyes have been known to fool me. :waving:Bob

#143 ·
imported post

True... but unless I can find hard-data,... no can list. I could calculate it out, but I rarely come up with a matching figure when known manufacturer ratings are given.

I would bet it is fairly close though....

#145 ·
imported post

Actually, knowing the flow characteristics of the heads and volumetric capacity of thecombustion chamberwill determine for us the A/F requirements... Mundane babble from me? Probably. But we can figure how much flow is required given some basic calculations.

This is where modern EFI (Port Injection, specifically) would be of benefit, as no retuning of fuel management (Air/Fuel Ratio)would be required due to normal engine wear (loss of efficiency) over time.

#146 ·
imported post

My problem is that my electrical system won't handle a whole bunch of extra electrical load.

Actually one of the problems. Another is my hands are big enough so I can't get into a lot of the tight places on motorcycles.

With the carb rack out there is room to do things, I guess.

You would have to run airtubes to a central plenum with a throttle body mounted on top, then fuel lines to each intake port area and plumb in injectors. And the wiring for the injectors, and a computer to run things.

My abilities don't run to being able to do all that.

On the other hand mounting a Holley one or two barrel TBI on a type 3 intake and sticking that in there I believe I could do. Money permitting. There is room in there for that setup.

#147 ·
imported post

78AZWING wrote:
You would have to run airtubes to a central plenum with a throttle body mounted on top, then fuel lines to each intake port area and plumb in injectors. And the wiring for the injectors, and a computer to run things.
Not with Multi-Port Fuel Injection (MPFI).....
One injector per cylinder, possibly (and probably) using factory manifolds going to something like a central plenum for a MAF sensor. Less room than what your taking up now.
That timing signal is the elusive animal on this hunt though.
I'd like to hear talk of how to solve that. I've beenfinding myself loosing interest on this FI issue.

Mechanical Injection.... I'm afraid it will not perform well when adapted to a GL motor.
I'vea 5 cylinder Mercedes diesel in my Scout. This is the extent of my mechanical injection knowledge, although I've never done anything to the injection system. Since the swap, I've never had to.

#148 ·
imported post

It is remarkable how small carbs can do a very adequate job. The stock Zenith on a Model A Ford does well with the 200 cu inch flathead. Looks like the solex is simple and dependable and most VW's were close to the same displacement as the Wing. nice idea.

#149 ·
imported post

My '60 Willys CJ5 has the original 134 cu in four cylinder engine in it with a carter yf single barrel on it.
Not a terribly high revving engine, that one. Top rpm is 4k, how ever, I think you are asking for an engine failure:shock: at anything over 3300. That is 50 mph, which is realistically the top speed of the machine. I did not buy it to go fast. I bought it to go places.

#150 ·
imported post

retired ranger395 wrote:
It is remarkable how small carbs can do a very adequate job. The stock Zenith on a Model A Ford does well with the 200 cu inch flathead. Looks like the solex is simple and dependable and most VW's were close to the same displacement as the Wing. nice idea.
I fully agree.:)
I'm a firm believer in the notion that a tutorial on the basics of carburetion is a prerequisite to any offerings here...:waving:
"Well that carburetor is meant for a motor that never sees 4500 RPM. How is going to work on a motor that sees 8000 RPM? Nonsense..." :?
Or... how about the "I'll git me a bigga fo'-barrah and git me summough powah" :cheeky1:
I just don't have the patiencemost times.:shock:
Great-day... :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.