Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Single Carburetor - which one?

155K views 593 replies 66 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
I'm running the Weber 32/36 Prog. right now.
What do you use?
What would you use?
Why?

My next project will be the Solex 30PICT-1 like the one below.

Attachments

See less See more
#152 ·
imported post

78AZWING wrote:
If you talk to someone who builds hotrods they will tell you there is such a thing as too much carburetion.
And Randakk's article on two downdrafts mounted on RC-003 states NOT to use any larger than 40. Performance drops off.
If "who" talks to someone?
There are many "who" should, but I'm not on of them Chief. I need no tutorial from Randakk, or anyone else on the subject.
"They" are a crowd unto themselves with too many followers perpetuating too much fiction.

#153 ·
imported post

Actually my second hot rod was where I learned that too much carburation looks good with the hood off but does not always translate into speed.
A while after I began to learn that it is good to set something up for the range I actually use it in.

#154 ·
imported post

All that carb diddle is a waste of effort.
Get an EFI off any newer 4banger wreak and spend a few days laptop mapping.

Even if you use the carb you really need a exhaust gas analysis machine and a few other gizmos to do it properly.

The CBR1000 injectors slip right on to the GL carb pipes.

#155 ·
imported post

If you have EFI on your 1000, then please, do share.

Easier said than done.

#156 ·
imported post

Cookie wrote:
Actually my second hot rod was where I learned that too much carburation looks good with the hood off but does not always translate into speed.
A while after I began to learn that it is good to set something up for the range I actually use it in.
Did your second (or first even) hot rod tell you any thing about exhaust?
You know too much back pressure, to restrictive, length of pipes, effects of baffles and such?

#157 ·
imported post

No. It took me forever to start to have a clue about exhaust. Luckily wings don't seem to be very sensitive in that area. I think this is because the original exhaust is very free flowing and the bike was tuned to it.
I used to just bolt on rams horn headers and factory duals with glass packs that probably restricted heck out of my 57 Chevy.
I'm about to see what two shorty two inch glasspacks do behind a wing header. I don't think it will make much difference with the single carb, but it might make me too lean.
I've been finishing up Caltrain's Holiday Train which is set to run this weekend. After wiring all those lights I'm too fried to work on my projects when I get home.

#159 ·
imported post

Cookie wrote:
I'm about to see what two shorty two inch glasspacks do behind a wing header.
I was thinking about that too after seeing anothers posted effort.
Looks clean and probably sounds great too.

#162 ·
imported post

Yup,

This forum has the information on the later wings, but you never know just when someone has seen the same problem you are interested in. Whenever someone I know is working on a 1500 up this is the place to go. Only a few NGW folks have the later bikes too. Here is a photo test of my single carb bike.

#165 ·
imported post

Here is my updated Weber list....

If anyone can add to, ammend, or help fill-in the blanks (xxx) with reference to it, or any ofthe other lists, much appreciation would be had as to further the purpose of the thread...

Attachments

#168 ·
imported post

The weber 32/36 is a good choice so say some of the good fellas here.I think it will work great on the right manifold.Mine has a smaller Weber 2 barrel and works exceptionally well.Its kind of a takeoff on the VW design so its pretty straightforward but not a gorgous pieces of chromed plumbing.Hardly noticeable black intake tubes and a carb well tucked away.

What were you considering for your manifold?
Good luck and stay tuned here.Lots of lessons being learned.

Flatfour

Mint 75 GL1000 stock carb induced for now.
Real decent 77 GL1000 full dress Weber induced.
Mint Suzuki GS1000E(my true favorite of all bikes ive ever owned)

#169 ·
imported post

After doing a bit of research i found a car carb that might do the trick. Its a Carb off a mini cooper for engine size 998 cc,s.Just have to make a mount for it since its a side draft carb like a motorcycle carb.But it loks like it would work greatg.What do you think.

Mini cooper carb su hif38 . look it up on google/:action:

#172 ·
imported post

I think the carbs were from the older model minis.I know the mounting is going to take some fabricating but what the hell.Its going to be fun trying any way.Might just go pvc all the way with it.
Runners and plentum.Make a air intake out old pvc too.And have twin air filters sticking out of both sides of the tank.LOL.Easy way to do it and cheap.
If it dosent work on to the next design.

#173 ·
imported post

Cross-over intake like on the old chryseler or dodge?

Twin side drafts, one on each side, might fit, slight down angel of the tubes from carb to intake ports. You would have to get the SU carbs with the 20 degree or 10 degree tilt to the float bowl.

What do you think?

#174 ·
#175 ·
imported post

Thanks Wing...
I, like many, have finally gotten fed-up with Internet Explorer and switched browsers. In doing so (due to much enthusiasm) I wiped my HD, reloaded the OS and didn't B/U anything... All my linkies were KIA.
I had read through that thread some time ago, I think. Looks familiar, I think.
No more IE... No more outlook!
What crap. I can't believe I hung-in there as long as I did.
My new browser does everything so much faster and in a streaming kind of way... and it was free.
My old P3 loves it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.