Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Single Carburetor - which one?

155K views 593 replies 66 participants last post by  AZgl1800 
#1 ·
I'm running the Weber 32/36 Prog. right now.
What do you use?
What would you use?
Why?

My next project will be the Solex 30PICT-1 like the one below.

Attachments

See less See more
#203 ·
imported post

It happens with all makes and models.

I had a chance about... 6 or 7 years ago (I don't remember exactly) to rummage through a M/C graveyard while everything was being sent to the scrap-yard. Most everything were the standard inlines and such. 2 GLs out of the the 500 or so bikes that were left (about half I would guess). The fella that tookthe propertyover was an acquaintance. I was lucky enough to take what I wanted at that time free of charge. He just wanted the land cleared and knew nothing about bikes other than there was not enoughmoney in it for him to continue its operation as is. So he scrappedALL of it. Now... imagine that. If I remember right, his lease was year-to-year at about $1200 a month as is.

I think the GLs get a better process of disposal than most others.

#204 ·
imported post

Down in Pheonix,Az. I found a place called "BOB'S Cycle Salvage",they let me wonder around,bought a new seat for my 80 1100 for $50,cleaned it up and it's like new. I think they even have a website,nice folks,I parked my semi across the street. I used to find cycle salvage yards all over the country when I drove longhaul,good places for me to relax sometimes. Some people do know that there are some worth saving. tks Charlie G.

#205 ·
imported post

Yeah Bob's is a good place to look. That is where I found my junkyard wing at. With the expensive and rare CCProducts intake and carburetor on it. 700 bucks, a ten amp fuse and she ran. Also has a Dyna S ignition on it. How ever the points in the '78 are only 8 months old, and probably got less than 3500 miles on them.

#206 ·
imported post

I had the day off Friday and after finding 2 bad Diaphrams causing my Carburetor issues the honda shop made my conversion at least something I had to try. 160.00 bucks each and they had to order them. Off to Lowes I went bought a few pvc elbows a tee and a length of pipe.4 hours later i was bolting on the old stock carb off my harley and got to take it down the rd. Decided it is at least feasable so I spent saturday relocating the coils (to accomodate the air cleaner) and puting it back togeather. Put about 150 miles on it today and i love it i will have to go one size bigger jet but wow My bike has never started or ran this smooth since i started resurecting it. Proof positive that thinking outside the (air) box has its benefits

#214 ·
imported post

Yes! Please post some pics.. Im struggling with my 4 carbs. I freaking hate the design. Its terribly complicated. Dying to go to a single carb.

I've done some fabricating in the past..but don't currently have a welder. PVC sounds super easy. Some PVC is stronger than others. The SCH40 stuff may last for quite a long time..Not really sure. Gas has a tendancy to eat through stuff after a long period of time. I've seen many things eat through gas over years that was supposedly "gas resistant".

But if anything, that's a good way to temporarily mock it up. Ride for a while until you can get an aluminum one fabricated.

And heck...Even if you had to replace the PVC every season or 2 before it deteriorates..Thats not such a big deal.

#221 ·
imported post

Used a carb from an 84? 1340 and a branch Y intake. coupled it with rubber to a 1.5" schdl 40 (thick wall pvc) plumbed to the factory intakes and had to machine the pvc down to fit the factory rubber couplings. I am not very good at this uploading thing but i will get some help to get some photos up

#222 ·
imported post

Hi, at the bottom of the reply field there is a browse button, hit that and then find the pic's on your computer.
Choose the picture and click ok or something like that. I am not sure how many pictures you can add to a reply, might have to split them up.

sorry about the impatient folks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.