GL1000 single carb conversion. Weber 32/36 & VW type 3 manifold. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Post GL1000 single carb conversion. Weber 32/36 & VW type 3 manifold.

So, I finally got around to it... I converted my 79 GL1000 to a single Weber 32/36. I bought the carburetor and VW type 3 manifold for $50 on www.thesamba.com as suggested by CaptainMidnight85 and Mikuni VM34-200 flanges from www.powersportsuperstore.com

I was not impressed with the 1-1/4" runners that come on the vw manifold, especially in the bends, so I decided to ditch them in favor of thicker exhaust pipe. Ideally I would have used 1 7/16" O.D. pipe as that would fit the I.D. of the VW manifold center piece, but I was unable to locate any at a reasonable price, so I used 1-1/2" O.D. exhaust pipe. I don't have a bender, so I miter cut the pipe at 40* angles (not 45, so I could have an incline) and welded them together. 1-1/2 being too large to enter the center piece I welded the ends of the runners to my pipes to fit into the center piece.

Upon what I thought was completion, my manifold looked pretty good... unfortunately I neglected to test fit the carburetor in the bike during my planning stage... The frame interfered with the fuel inlet. SO... there went all my careful planning... I cut some pipe off one side, added it to the other, re-welded everything & sealed it with JB-Weld. I compensated more than I needed to, but it works.

I'm not impressed with my job on the runners, and I think I will re-do the runners when time allows.

I slapped the carb on without any new gaskets, no air filter, and the wrong air corrector and idle jet. Fired it up and she idled smooth at about 2000RPM and revs up to 6500RPM before sputtering out. Success! I received the air filter, rebuild kit, and proper 170 air corrector jet today, we'll see if I can get the idle around 900-1200 or so after the rebuild. The #65 idle jet I received was the wrong type... anybody know where to get an idle jet for the weber 32/36 DFEV?(not dgv)

When I get the jetting right, I'll share my numbers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Post imported post

Good Deal... Good to see somebody doing their own thing.

Oddly though, if you bought your set-up from Patrick down in Fla., aka TYPE2MAN, I bought that same deal from him, ...but when he didn't ship it when he said he would and said that he couldn't find the manifold I got cold feet and had him refund my money. It was over a Holiday weekend, but I forget which one. I should've cut him some slack, ...or cut myself some.

...essentially a manifold and a free carbwith goodiesto go with it. Not a bad deal, as new manifolds are $50 each, and a manifold is a manifold once cleaned-up.

But the Mikuni flanges are not original to me. They came from Silicon Sam's manifold set-up, which IMO is a really nice set-up.

Edit: duplicate words....
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Year: 1989
Make: GL1500
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mainwiz3
Post imported post

Here is a link for Weber parts and jets the seconc link is where you can get jet reamers incase you need to tweek the jets.

http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/weber.htm

http://www.doghouserepair.com/store/category/1531

Tell me it can't be done and I will make it happen if I can make or get the parts made
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous bikes
76 GL 1000
77 GL 1000
81 Interstate (Daily Bike)
81 Interstate ( Future standard with some twists)
82 Aspencade (restoration Project been sitting since 95 possibly trike)
Current
89 GL1500 Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Thanks for the link! I googled for like an hour looking for a parts diagram... shoulda just looked there... it looked like a catchall advertisement.

I think I probably have the right jet then, I never seperated the jet from the holder (bcause I didn't know I could)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

Post imported post

A Weber Workshop Manual is invaluable if you're gonna stick with the Weber...

In it, there are charts and graphs for you to calculate your jetting for some base settings to go from in the real World of tuning it.

Knowing exactly how and why the circuits operate on those carbs is essential for final tuning, and the manual walks you through it pretty well.

Don't do yourself any injustice just yet by finalizing your set-up with whatever jetting you start-out with. It may take a while to perfect it. Your bike will Love you just that much more for the time you put into this very persnickety and necessary area of final carb tuning.

Jet expenditures can add-up pretty quick, but luckily you've chosen a extremely popular carburetor to work with, as a handful of jets can be had for a song (and maybe a $50 bill, +/-...) to tune it, and then add-in what you didn't use and re-sell the lot back onto eBay for others tocontinue the same process. Sometimes "the lot purchase program" of acquiring, and then re-sellingjets for final tuning in this way happens on the Samba also, but is pretty frequently posted on eBay.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I'll keep fiddling with the jetting as I get farther along. At some point I may make an o2 sensor setup to fine tune things, but at this point I'm just trying to make it run.

An updated ignition coil & wires is on the agenda before any fine tuning. Probably an MKII one piece manifold too.

Speaking of ignition, I should probably be advancing the timing huh?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Post imported post

What the latest on your jetting for the 32/36?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Still Learning

Model: 2008 GL1800 Level 4
Garage
Post imported post

Looks like he hasn't had a post on the site since Dec 10th 2010, so if you want an answer send him a PM, he may not be spending time on this forum much.

Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

John 14:6 Psalm 118:19-29
CMA Wings of Eagles-Escondido, Patriot Guard Ryder
+2008 Cabernet Red ABS/Airbag bought 6/2013 @16,000
+1983 ASPENCADE Barn find @36,000 to be sold
+1976 CB750K6 @25,000 was Dad's
Previous bikes
-1999 GL1500 ASPENCADE Red Sold barn find restored
-1999 GL1500 SE(@57k)(totaled by cagger @105,000) Feb 2013
-76 CB750K Red(new) sold @ 45k
-75 CB750K Blue(new) 9,000 mi Before cousin totaled it.
74 CB450 Burnt Orange(new) 9,000 miles sold
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Sorry. Project got the back burner. I ended up removing the right side head and doing a valve job, just to discover that I also need to do a valve job on the other side. Haven't found the motivation to do that yet. I also need plug wires something fierce.

With all that's not right with my bike I don't know that my jetting figures would be any good to anyone, but if you still want them, I could dig them up for you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 AM

Post imported post

Hey huzbum,
Thanks for the reply. You just get that Wing straightened out before spring and kep us posted on your progress. Take care and Happy New Year to ya'!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in