L.D. Wingnut Single Carb Manifold - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Post L.D. Wingnut Single Carb Manifold

Like many, I've tinkered with various single-carb setups on my old wing. I started with a 40mm Keihin CV off of a Harley and later, a Weber DGV progressive 2-barrel. Each had their pros and cons.

I came across LD's web site a couple of years ago and we shared an email exchange or two on the subject. He counseled me not to waste my time and to go with his intake and the round bowl Solex. I searched the forums and found some very favorable reviews of his setup. Everyone seemed to really like it so thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, I drug my feet for too long and by the time I was ready to purchase, he'd shut down the business. I know he was convalescing following a medical issue last fall but I assumed he'd resurrect the business later. Several attempts to contact have been unsuccessful.

In early March, I decided to fabricate my own. I constructed mine of 16 gage mild steel exhaust pipe. I created a jig, cut and notched the pipe in my shop, and had it all tig welded up by a local welder/fab shop. Looked like a professionally manufactured product. I purchased an old Solex 30 PICT-1 locally off of Craigslist and rebuilt it. I didn't know anything about these carbs at the time and I got a 47-1 which didn't have the integral return spring and perch. I had to fabricate my own. I jetted it according to L.D.'s advice and proceeded to put ~1,000 miles on it (80 mile/day commute). The throttle shaft of that old carb leaked like a sieve – sloppy loose. Ran fine but had a hard time idling, would stumble when I came to a stop, etc. I considered having it rebushed but decided instead to get a 75-1 which is the same 30 PICT-1 that includes the return spring but no enrichment circuit, idle solenoid, etc.

Sorry folks – I tend to get wordy. I'll cut to the chase. I've now put over 4,000 miles on the new carb and I couldn't possibly be happier. This thing runs like a dream! I get ~40mpg and that's at an average speed of 75mph. It starts quicker than any carbureted vehicle I've ever owned, idles well, and runs like a scalded ape. I've ridden it at every elevation from sea level to ~7,500 feet and no issues.

I've decided to manufacture a short run of these manifolds and see if there's any interest. I'm awaiting bids from my welder and a couple more but I'm aiming for a manifold-only price <= $200. I've found two sources of remanufactured carburetors that sell them for ~$150. EMPI also makes an after-market copy but I've been advised to steer clear of them. I spoke to L.D.'s source (Speed Shop in Harriman, TN) and he's now reselling a Chinese knockoff (not EMPI) that he says seems to perform and hold up well. At this point, I still favor a rebuilt, genuine German Solex.

If anyone is interested, holler.

To anyone who purchased or owns one of LD's intakes, I'd like to ask a couple of questions:
  1. From what material was it constructed? From photos, also looks like steel.
  2. What was the finish (i.e. paint, powder coat, etc)
  3. Do you have any complaints, criticisms, or suggested improvements?

Thanks.

ps. Steve, if this post sounds too much like and advertisement, apologies. Pull it and I'll edit to just solicit info/feedback from those with one of LD's intakes. I'm not going to make a worthwhile profit on the endeavor. I just hope to put the same smile on a few more faces that I'm wearing. ;-) Thanks for an awesome site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 PM

Model: GL1000
Post imported post

PM sent.

1978 Honda GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 05:24 PM

Model: 91 Aspencade with a 97 powerplant!
Post imported post

Hey Scott,

I would be interested in seeing some pictures if you have them.

As my tag says, I like the idea of a single carb. I too missed the boat on LD setup. I sure hope things are going well for him. It looked like a sweet setup.

Tim.

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
____

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Vintage Rider

Model: none at present
Post imported post

Just to let you know, as a long time air cooled VW enthusiast, EMPI went out of business decades ago, and all that is left is the name and logo. It is now a Chinese company, and produces cheap copies of what EMPI used to make. There are still decent sources for these carbs out there, check out some ads in VW magazines, or some online VW parts places.

"New vehicles move the body. Old vehicles move the soul. Vintage forever"
"Obsolete does not mean it is not any good, it just means it is not made anymore"
"The simpler the better"
Save the environment. STOP the developers.
PGR member since 2007
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Hey Jerry, see you too are in Phoenix. Yes, I found three sources on TheSamba. Keith Doncaster built the carb I'm running now and he did a fine job.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Post imported post

I'm guessing your using the single carb on a 1100? I would be interested in it if it works on a 1200.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Post imported post

hmmmmm im going to follow this thread ...i realy have no info to to offer.....im interested in a more reliable setup what got me was the 40 mpg thats totaly aceptable ....

i heard of all kinds of problems with the ld setup from people who have purchased it ...but sometimes i wonder what condition there motors were in in the first place ....there are so many things that mimic carb problems that are not carb problems at all ...mostly weak ignition and totaly hammered top ends from wore out weak springs that are 30 plus yrs old
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Sorry folks, slow in responding. Have been on vacation. Back to the old grind stone.

Tim,

I was in such an all-fired hurry to get mine mounted that I failed to take any pics first. As it's now on my daily driver, I'm reluctant to pull it. Will try to take a couple of pics as it sits installed and post them.

Winesap7,

This manifold will fit the 1000 and 1100 only. If I ever find a cheap 1200 (and can sneak it under the radar - I also call her sweetheart), I would think it would be trivial - just different dimensions, fitment, and carb jetting.

joedrum,

Ditto. I read some of the same stuff when researching LD's setup on the forums but most were positive. What I can tell you is that you can't have any loose rust in tank clogging filter or making it past same to plug jets and tiny carb orifices. Have to have a clean tank. Ignition also has to be up to par. Has to be firing well on all 4 cylinders and have to have reasonably good and balanced compression. That said, if someone bolts on a leaky old Craigslist or Ebay find like I did, then they'll be frustrated as it won't idle well. Should still run like a scalded ape at speed but will idle poorly. A properly rebushed and remanufactured carb is too reasonably priced to mess with a junker.

Will hopefully post notice that I have a couple finished and available shortly.

Thanks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

Hey Scott,

Please go to the Members Account link and fill in your profile.

If you are in Phoenix area, we need to find a DQ and set a while.

John

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

Ran out to the garage and snapped a couple of pics. Not real clear as I shake but should give you a feel for how it turned out. Also, still had one on the camera - a top-down shot I took of it the day I mounted the new carb.

The U-bolt and modified angle bracket serves as my cable retainer. The new flange design mimicks LD's - extended the tail of the flange to which is welded a shim that allows the pull cable to be attached in a real clean yet secure manner.

You'll note that in my rush to get it mounted and tested, I didn't paint or powder coat this one and it's starting to show a little surface oxidation.

Click on this link to see pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/1119660...1100SingleCarb
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page