GL1000/1100/1200 Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel 32DFT Progressive Runs Excellent - Page 124 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1231 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:31 AM

Year: 1981
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: Gl 1100
Garage
Cool

Hello I'm back, .....been a while,...getting back on my feet! !! It is OK to have other sites to see the carb conversions, and still up to the individual to make their own decisions as what to do with the information, .........!! Any way I still am waiting to put on my 32/32 carb on,..been running my 32/36 with no problems but I like to tinker and besides I was going to make the change about a year ago. But my life took a change and so did my riding, .... I had to put training wheels on to keep riding, ...... (that's what I call them)!!! Lol Glad to see such good information on the subject is well and still exists, thanks Cap!!!!!!!!! Later ,, Bob. Peace n Out of Here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

Good Morning Bob.
Good to see 'ya. Ain't heard from 'ya in a bit now. I'm still trying to hold the fort down. I've been busy with Sturgis-esque type things as of late.
Good thing that Fella you found for us has as many of those carburetors as he does. The 'Ol conversion here is as popular as ever.
I see others pulling heat like you do from the back of the T-housing. More and more are applying heat.
Things have really caught on well I think.
Lots of working options out there today.
Fortunately Tom has a good supply of carburetors. You hit the nail on the head in finding him, no doubt.
Boy, ...I think back to who is not around so much any more on this stuff. You can think back further than I can...
I'm a force alright... More like a PITA-type force though, as this conversion still works as described.
...nothing can change that.

PDBro, badorderbob is as much a "force" as anyone else. Without his help and encouragement, I would've stalled out and ...who knows what would've happened.
I had help just as you've had help.
We all do help each other.
You're a part of it as well.

Enjoy Fella's. I'm gonna try and get something done today.
post #1233 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 AM

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade, 86000 miles
Garage
I have decided to tackle the single carb conversion soon. I plan on using a Motorcraft Weber 740 for the carb, and weld up my own intake manifold. I just ordered the carb, so I have to wait for that before I decide whether to use 2x3 inch or 2x4 inch steel tubing. I have read through this entire thread. Took me awhile but I gotter done.

Although I didn't take pictures on the alternator conversion, I will take pictures of the carb conversion, and write up a little article explaining how I did it, and let people who are interested know how it runs.

Thanks Westgl for the thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 AM

can't say i'm up much on what went down with the 32/36 stuff, i started to tune in when westgl made a big show with the 32/32,

no doubt your (bob & the others at that time) efforts led directly to sourcing the 32/32, which i think was a game changer,

t'm not aware of any other scc setup having that solid foundation with a carb, as a basic/basis to work from,

good to see someone totally focused on a baseline setup, otherwise it's all too easy to end up all over the place figuring out issues, if not creating new ones, that then very few others can figure out,

nevertheless, you don't find out about other ways to possibly move forward without big time efforts towards anything and everything that may be suitable,

folks that are interested in scc i think are tinkerers by nature always looking for better ways to move forward tho with not many it seems sticking with what has even been proven for some time, like heat,

i guess good enuff works for alota folks who go there,

bottom line is the 32/32 sourced changed everything prior to that and brought a new big time focus to scc, making it much more viable today, to more folks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Good Morning Bob.
Good to see 'ya. Ain't heard from 'ya in a bit now. I'm still trying to hold the fort down. I've been busy with Sturgis-esque type things as of late.
Good thing that Fella you found for us has as many of those carburetors as he does. The 'Ol conversion here is as popular as ever.
I see others pulling heat like you do from the back of the T-housing. More and more are applying heat.
Things have really caught on well I think.
Lots of working options out there today.
Fortunately Tom has a good supply of carburetors. You hit the nail on the head in finding him, no doubt.
Boy, ...I think back to who is not around so much any more on this stuff. You can think back further than I can...
I'm a force alright... More like a PITA-type force though, as this conversion still works as described.
...nothing can change that.

PDBro, badorderbob is as much a "force" as anyone else. Without his help and encouragement, I would've stalled out and ...who knows what would've happened.
I had help just as you've had help.
We all do help each other.
You're a part of it as well.

Enjoy Fella's. I'm gonna try and get something done today.
CaptainMidnight85 likes this.

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal
post #1235 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyrider View Post
... so I have to wait for that before I decide whether to use 2x3 inch or 2x4 inch steel tubing.
Curiosity has me.
What variables are you tossing around as to its plenum size and why?
Im curious about it being a decision to have; large or small plenum volume.
post #1236 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 11:32 AM

i'd suggest starting your own thread so what you do and all info you provide doesn't get lost or diluted in this one and makes it easy for others interested in what you are up to

you could link your new thread to this one so folks know where to go,

good short focused fresh threads = max and current easy to follow info from a to z, making it easy for others to get interested and tune in,

not to mention focus (or should) on you and what you are up to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyrider View Post
I have decided to tackle the single carb conversion soon. I plan on using a Motorcraft Weber 740 for the carb, and weld up my own intake manifold. I just ordered the carb, so I have to wait for that before I decide whether to use 2x3 inch or 2x4 inch steel tubing. I have read through this entire thread. Took me awhile but I gotter done.

Although I didn't take pictures on the alternator conversion, I will take pictures of the carb conversion, and write up a little article explaining how I did it, and let people who are interested know how it runs.

mcgovern61 likes this.

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal

Last edited by pdbro; 08-10-2015 at 12:16 PM.
post #1237 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbro View Post
can't say i'm up much on what went down with the 32/36 stuff, i started to tune in when westgl made a big show with the 32/32,

no doubt your (bob & the others at that time) efforts led directly to sourcing the 32/32, which i think was a game changer,

t'm not aware of any other scc setup having that solid foundation with a carb, as a basic/basis to work from,

good to see someone totally focused on a baseline setup, otherwise it's all too easy to end up all over the place figuring out issues, if not creating new ones, that then very few others can figure out,

nevertheless, you don't find out about other ways to possibly move forward without big time efforts towards anything and everything that may be suitable,

folks that are interested in scc i think are tinkerers by nature always looking for better ways to move forward tho with not many it seems sticking with what has even been proven for some time, like heat,

i guess good enuff works for alota folks who go there,

bottom line is the 32/32 sourced changed everything prior to that and brought a new big time focus to scc, making it much more viable today, to more folks,
Though the carburetor is a big part of the formula for a successful conversion, without heating the floor of the Empi plenum it is only a partial and incomplete conversion.
Weber, the designer of the carburetor, states that we may need to apply heating to any manifold in using the carburetor.
The supplier, a retired GM induction designer, states that we need to heat the plenum floor with coolant.
...these are not the opinions of others. These are directives that, if followed, give proven results beyond interpretation. It is that significant. Having coolant provide "intimate contact with the floor of the plenum" is the real "game changer". Too bad others can't get out of their own way and simply do as directed by the Man that sells them their carburetor.

This thread is about keeping the conversion simple and effective so that anyone can by the carb and put together a simple conversion that is reliable enough to get someone back and forth to work. If others want to elaborate upon the formula for their interests, I'm all for it, just not in this particular thread.
Another thread, or another forum, is best suited for that.
I encourage all to tinker, experiment, whatever.
When fiction starts blurring fact with many conversioneers, the realities of keeping it simple become important. Maintaining the vision of this thread keeps it simple.
You're right in refering back to this thread fo clarity. I see what gets posted everywhere else.
Neither of us are a figurehead of anything. Nor is anyone else.

The conversion described at the beginning of this thread still works as described. Its the basis for many interests in many places. It has encouraged more than induction alone.

Many find their conversion results acceptable.
Mine conversion results are acceptable to me. I'm done perfecting my conversion as naturally aspirated. I don't know of anything more I can do to my conversion to make it perform better. I've tried all that I know how to do and what I have works perfect for me.

...others may feel the same about their own.
I share what I've accomplished if asked. I generally don't share detailed specifics on my own because few, if any, will do anything but create a debate. I'm not into the drama of it all.

Tom's carb (right out of the box) and a decently constructed manifold will get anyone riding reliably.
There is enough variation with what can be bought on eBay today because of many things. That's the "game changer". The options available today were ALL missing when I needed them.

People...
...they keep trying to prop me up on the heap-pile for their own agenda. Right on. Glad I'm apparently important enough that I make 'em feel better in doing so. I truly care nothing about any perceived self-impositioning with any of this that others have.
My take on it in a nutshell; ...they've their own issues to work through.
:thumbup:
post #1238 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyrider

Roadyrider
Please, when you start this, start your Own Thread.... as that will be a different carb than this thread is devoted to. I am trying to keep the SCC threads consistent sort of, and a while back, I got overwhelmed with the details and called up Steve 'CM85' and asked him if he would "Moderate" the SCC threads.....

so, that is how he started being a bit pushy to keep it straight... I hope ya'll don't mind, because all of the SCC stuff is important, but let's try to keep separate threads on each model carb. Okay?

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1239 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Banned

He's using the same carb John.
"Motorcraft 740" is the Weber DFT32 licensed copy that Ford produced under their Motorcraft brand.
It is what Tom Langdon sells us.

Dft32
Dfta32
Motorcraft 740
Motorcraft 5740
...some others, ...all the same.
post #1240 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
He's using the same carb John.
"Motorcraft 740" is the Weber DFT32 licensed copy that Ford produced under their Motorcraft brand.
It is what Tom Langdon sells us.

Dft32
Dfta32
Motorcraft 740
Motorcraft 5740
...some others, ...all the same.

okay, that is why I "appointed you" the thread Moderator
I still think it would be neat for him to chronicle his own efforts in a separate thread.
Just keep it linked to this one, and this thread to his thread also.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page