GL1000/1100/1200 Single Carb Conversion 2 Barrel 32DFT Progressive Runs Excellent - Page 126 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1251 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:37 PM

this'd be a way more effective sticky thread starter for new folks rather than buried in this thread that is focused on westgl's setup

new topic/thread here
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...ml#post4157130

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1252 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyrider View Post
If I take water off the bottom cap, (the cap with 2 screws just above the drain plug on a 1200) run it to one side of my manifold heater, where should I go with the outlet from the manifold back to the radiator?

Or else, where is the best place to take the water from, and return it to, the radiator?

I am probably getting way ahead of myself as I won't be working on the manifold until next week, but I do plan to do the water work as I go.
Why do you have to take it back anywhere?
I don't take it back anywhere.
I approach my heating in what I term a "static" use of the coolant. It flows in but does not flow out. It is effectively a closed-loop system in this sense. My coolant chamber is well below the upper level of the radiator and, once bled of air, remains continuously full without pressure. The heated coolant exiting the cylinder head is captured at the crossover elbow and fed to the coolant chamber. I feed both sides; two coolant feeds supply my chamber.
The combination of statically controlling the coolant to supplied to the chamber and the aluminum being exposed to the ambient air have never given any problems of evaporation or hot-start issues associated with any "vapor-lock" or its imaginative fears.

"Dynamic" heating would have the coolant flowing through my chamber.
I don't need that much heat or the complications added to the cooling system.

I'm 2 IN with no out.
You may be 1 IN and no out.

Try it; 1 in 0 out
You could always add the out if it don't work like I think it will.
post #1253 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 05:11 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbro View Post
this'd be a way more effective sticky thread starter for new folks rather than buried in this thread that is focused on westgl's setup

new topic/thread here
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...ml#post4157130

done as you suggested.... took a while, but the result is probably worth while.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1254 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Um, I'm a member over there too but don't visit much, NOTHING happening. I just popped in for a look and there were 3 others logged in there besides me.
well the facts are they have put in a tremendous amount of time and effort, into an open minded group effort exploring all aspects of scc,that is evident even at a glance, vs what was available or going on here, mostly in this monster thread,

and no question all of the "fresh look at scc" shifted over there, with the open approach, that wasn't available elsewhere,

that was all i was referring to, the scc scene,

not to mention the facts and the records show that at least 2 other major sites offered dedicated alternative induction forums, looooong before this one,

but hey, diff strokes for diff folks just like forums, what they may be about or focus on, in the end, it's all about the same bikes and ends up offering solutions to others

anyway, last posting for me on unrelated matters in this thread, now that it's back on track/topic, with westgl's setup being the focus, rather than whatever it was or became prior to that

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal

Last edited by pdbro; 08-16-2015 at 04:07 PM.
post #1255 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Banned

...now that you've brought up "scene" events at your home group, I offer this observation of the overall single carburetor scene and any developments elsewhere from here;

Y'all have shown how to recalibrate a carburetor that needs no recalibration. That's my take on it, but there's more...

At least Conversioneer's can follow you guys on recalibrating a Weber carburetor to a fairly competent degree. THAT is a huge benefit; just knowing the why and how of a carburetor you plan to use for a conversion and being able to set it up is a beneficial move forward for any individual. Prior to about the last year or so, nobody actively participating knew where to begin on a calibration by the book so that a real carburetor (versus the imagined perfectly operating one that you don't have in your hands) could be chosen for use. WAY TOO MANY have jumped into this feet-first with a 32/36 and have no idea how to calibrate it. Not my exact case, but close to it.
You're saving many through a easier learning curve ...if they follow direction. Get it? Probably only the handful of 'ya will ever know a carburetor calibration start to finish though.
"...if they follow direction."

Y'all have shown the benefits of a better-than-stock ignition system in having C5 mask the fuel delivery problems y'all've had with your unheated conversions. Ignition upgrades should be inline with a High Performance induction conversion.
I'm not certain Paul realizes what his contribution has actually done for y'all over there, but it certainly helped many of you with conversions that have had prohlems due to inefficient combustion. It's all easily read over there without looking hard at all.
As seen on my last video, my ignition works very well for my purposes at much less cost than $500.
But, I don't have fuel delivery problems either.
Others do.
Push a more economical solution for the masses. That's my unsolicited advice. Use Dave's idea.

Myself, I've never found anything useful there aside from the Motorcraft 740 manual being available for all to use on that board as a download. I'm not such an A$$ as to pull that offering with or without the board owner knowing it. It ain't about pettiness. The manual has helped many by being accessible for the required learning curve they've developed in calibrating a DFT.
They taught themselves the basics of the carburetor I push. That's fantastic!
Their work is there for everyone else to see and follow as well.
Knowing the complete calibration of the carb, and how each component is utilized is a prerequisite to optimizing the conversion overall. For anyone wanting to optimize like I've done, they need to go over there and familiarize themselves with the carburetor inside and out first. I've no time to teach here. No time.

I'm still waiting for them to understand the principles involved in applying heat or to simply follow the directions of Tom Langdon or Weber, because without a heated intake they're all stalled on optimizing the only way I know how to approach it.
I've no interest in another's way based on all that I've seen.

That's what I know.

Not attacking that board or what they're doing. I actually help that board more than you realize. I'm simply well ahead of them in anything they have to offer towards higher performance for my bike, and would like to see a comparable bike come from that camp.
post #1256 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 AM

Model: 1976 Honda GL1000
post #1257 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulterier View Post
Hello All,
I completed my Weber/VW manifold conversion. Have noticed an improvement in starting and idling. Revs well.
Plan to take it out this weekend for a first time spin.

glad to hear that the project went well.

If you have a video camera, would you try to mount it in a perspective that allows us, the viewers, to see the tachometer and the Speedometer as you ride around?

I think that really helps future prospective Conversioneers to get a lot of Good Vibes as to what they too, can accomplish.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1258 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 AM

Completed my conversion.

I completed my conversion. So far so good. Plan to take it out for a short spin this weekend. Thanx to WestGL for his tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulterier View Post
post #1259 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Banned

That's a nice looking 'Wing you have there.
Looks stock except for the conversion.
Very Nice!
post #1260 of 1299 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:45 AM

Thank you for the compliment! Coming from a "Senior Member" as yourself, that means a lot. I have enjoyed your suggestions and videos on this subject as well.

A little about me.
I collect and restore early Hondas. My collections includes a 66 Black Bomber; 67 Honda 305's (Scrambler and Superhawk) and a few others.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page