GL1100 Single Carb Manifold Option - Page 11 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Banned

... (composite construction).
Composites are the way of the future (...just as metal alloy's have been).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Fantastic job!

Welcome to the forum.

doubt you have any trouble "balancing your carb"

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
dkl

Model: 82 GL1100 ASPY, 82 naked, 81 scc naked wings
Garage
Johnnamon, you bring tears to the eyes of a ex-Hardware Store owner. I enjoy doin' it different with cheap Stuff, and evidently so do you......GOOD JOB.....My original was 1 1/4 but when I changed to 1" it is off the chart. How does your version respond to throttle, Idle, and through all RPMs under load. With the PVC set up I Have had no Icing problem, and the 34-3 is not so prone to icing I have been told...Heat may not be necessary......but it might make it run better....only time will tell.

MY BABY!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 12:22 AM

Model: gl1100
the mod has performed reasonably well. it idles well. has great low rpm torque which i enjoy. I am a cruiser not a racer so good low speed response is more important than high end horsepower. the motor wraps out just fine pulling hard through the power band to within 1k of redline. i dont beat on the old girl any harder than that. I am still tweaking the idle mix a little. i also suspect a cracked coil due to intermittent bumbling. I have ordered a Neon coil i will attempt to adapt. more mods. fun fun.

i do notice condensation on the outside of the carb and my metal plate flange. this concerns me and is the reason for considering heat. in looking at the two rubber hoses in the coolant system there is hardly room on the lower to fit a t with a barb. i am going to attempt the mod next week anyway if i dont hear a better idea. I hope to do that at the same time as the coil.

i have noticed that the auto choke does not seem to be opening all the way. i am thinking of converting it to a manual one by attaching the choke cable to it to force it open and closed. i have power and ground to the carb but it takes a half hour of riding before it opens up and even then is not in the full open position. this is causing bad gas mileage.

i did order 3of the 5 way pieces for further mods in case this one didnt work out. was there a reason you didn't just run flex straight from he 5way to the intakes? I am also curious as to why 1 inch would work better. my flange is a 1inch hole. It mated up better, so the throat i am using is 1inch size but the runners are all 1 1/4.
post #105 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 AM

Model: 83 gl 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannmon View Post
the mod has performed reasonably well. it idles well. has great low rpm torque which i enjoy. I am a cruiser not a racer so good low speed response is more important than high end horsepower. the motor wraps out just fine pulling hard through the power band to within 1k of redline. i dont beat on the old girl any harder than that. I am still tweaking the idle mix a little. i also suspect a cracked coil due to intermittent bumbling. I have ordered a Neon coil i will attempt to adapt. more mods. fun fun.

i do notice condensation on the outside of the carb and my metal plate flange. this concerns me and is the reason for considering heat. in looking at the two rubber hoses in the coolant system there is hardly room on the lower to fit a t with a barb. i am going to attempt the mod next week anyway if i dont hear a better idea. I hope to do that at the same time as the coil.

i have noticed that the auto choke does not seem to be opening all the way. i am thinking of converting it to a manual one by attaching the choke cable to it to force it open and closed. i have power and ground to the carb but it takes a half hour of riding before it opens up and even then is not in the full open position. this is causing bad gas mileage.

i did order 3of the 5 way pieces for further mods in case this one didnt work out. was there a reason you didn't just run flex straight from he 5way to the intakes? I am also curious as to why 1 inch would work better. my flange is a 1inch hole. It mated up better, so the throat i am using is 1inch size but the runners are all 1 1/4.

Where is your crankcase breather hose attached? Could that be the cause of the condensation? When I blew a fuse I lost my electric choke resulting in a rich fuel mixture and lots of water vapor coming from the breather hose.
post #106 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
dkl

Garage
I used 1" cause common sense led me to believe a smaller size would increase the suction pressure in the runners, which would give quicker throttle response,,,,,,,and it was smaller and gave me MORE ROOM. I am not a carb GURU........C'PN Midnite will be along and answer Tech Questions he is the man, I defer to the experts........My advice is don't over think it, worry about the How, not the Why.
My choke fully opens up in less than 5 minutes. Go on a dune buggy site and ask for a fix....They will know about the 34-3

MY BABY!!
post #107 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The 1" runner will have a higher velocity air flow and more closely matches the OEM runner ID.

Should provide better throttle response and better mixture control.

But, I also use the KISS principle. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

~ John

post #108 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh1990 View Post
Where is your crankcase breather hose attached? Could that be the cause of the condensation? When I blew a fuse I lost my electric choke resulting in a rich fuel mixture and lots of water vapor coming from the breather hose.
The hose is on its own air filter separated from the fuel intake system. another thought I had was that the choke not opening is causing excess cooling due to continual vacuum above the throttle butterfly. I am going to do a little research on the dune buggy site as suggested and see what I can find.
post #109 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
dkl

Garage
You should set your idle higher than Honda recommends....set Idle at 1050 to 1100 RPMs. 1050 if possible.

MY BABY!!
post #110 of 210 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 01:31 AM

problem solved running great

I went back to the simple to see if I could resolve the issue without further modification. It turns out that the aux relay I was using had a weak fuse that was partially burned out. It would turn out LED's that I used to test it but it was not actuating either the fuel stop or the automatic choke. Hence it was not running right. I popped a new fuse in and she ran well. A couple of adjustments of the volume screw and the bypass screw and the old girl was purring like a lion.

I say a lion because when I took her out she ran with all the gusto of the original 4 on hard acceleration but without the bumbling at low power. I love it when simple fixes present themselves. It just goes to show you need to be thorough in diagnosis.

I had actually checked the fuse visually and confirmed that the filament was intact. I had also checked to see that it would lite up an led all was fine. When I pulled the fuse out, however, I found that the lower half of the terminal end had melted and bulged making it worthless for any kind of amperage draw. Weird huh. Well live and learn I guess.

The condensation was no longer a problem once the choke was opening properly so until I run into a problem or find a way to easily tap into the coolant lines I am putting the heating project on hold so I can just enjoy Riding for a while!

I am posting a couple of last pics of my mod. since so many have been gracious enough to comment on it. THe first pic is of the air cleaner I attached to the pict 34 carb. I discovered that a 2" piece of PVC fit it like a glove so I cut a piece of tin inserted the 2 in pvc using V cuts to create a hole big enough. THen I used sheet metal screws to secure the pvc to the v cuts and caulked around the pvc with liquid gasket. THen I attached the plate I just made using more liquid gasket and sheet metal screws to the stock air cleaner. One little plug where the original bolt hole was and I had a cheap adaptation of stock equipment to my mod.

I then painted the pvc gold to match the decor and installed it all. Thanks again for all the help. It has been a fun build.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140622_211953.jpg (83.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140622_212014.jpg (165.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140622_212026.jpg (171.0 KB, 90 views)
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page