GL1100 Single Carb Manifold Option - Page 15 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

20Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 210 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
dkl

Model: 82 GL1100 ASPY, 82 naked, 81 scc naked wings
Garage
Hard to beat a well tuned good rack of stock carbs, my Yellow 82 still is stock, and they run perfect, but it took some work. My Single carb set-up on my Black 81 is a good option if your stock carbs are junk, wore out, or you just don't have the expertise or $$$ to buy a $250 kit to rebuild them, just to find out if they work.
It is kinda like a nose job,,,,,,,,it is your decision, not mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY BABY!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 210 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade (project)
Garage
Fair enough. I purchased this 'Wing knowing it would be a project (and budgeting accordingly), so a $250 carb kit isn't out of the question by any means.
post #143 of 210 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 PM

if you can do the work and figure it out yourself, single carb conversion is the way to go first,

if you need to ask about scc, you are prob not ready to go there yet

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 210 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 AM

Model: 1983 GL1100-I
PVC Attempt

After reading several hundreds of forum pages, I'm finally taking the plunge. I got an old 83 GL1100 about a month ago, turns over, fires up with starting fluid, carbs are completely gummed up after sitting for at least 6 years out in the weather.
I'm going with the 32DFT Westgl has advocated; I don't want to spend too much time tweaking to get the old girl on the road. (Or at least running!)
This being a tight time of the year (3 kid's birthdays in row, school supplies & clothes, Christmas right around the corner), I'm trying the PVC intake to at least prove the function to myself.
I'm bumping up the 5-way center cross to 1-1/4", with 1-1/2"x1" reducing coupling to slip over the outsides of the fitting. A little sanding is necessary, I'm doing a little bit at a time and trying not to rush. I shooting for a rigid and strong assembly, while minimizing abrupt, sharp edges and restrictions like you might see by pushing bushing into the center cross. I'm hoping this will give me just a little bit of volume for the manifold.
The carb and adapter to single bbl from [email protected] came in last night. I had order two CPVC flanges, to see which would match up to the flange the best.
Looks like the 1-1/2" matches almost perfectly. What I like is this will keep the assembly as compact as I can make, plus I won't have any close lengths of pipe used to connect the fittings together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141105_054617135.jpg (154.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141105_054651534.jpg (152.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141106_051744488_HDR.jpg (78.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141106_051909532.jpg (137.1 KB, 43 views)

Every once in a while, poke your head up and take a look around. See what's going on. It's life!
You'll miss it before you know it!

Finally learning to enjoy life.
post #145 of 210 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
dkl

Garage
Sounds like a plan. I would advise putting a shim under manifold to support the weight of the larger carb....and make sure NO LEAKS.

MY BABY!!
post #146 of 210 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 PM

Model: 1983 GL1100-I
I'm planning on it. I liked the idea I ready a few pages back on this thread about using a 4" cross-section, cut with scallops for the engine coolant lines on the bottom, and cut-outs for the intake lines in the top. It seems to me that that's the way to go to reduce long-term stress from weakening the pipes. As far as the material used, does anyone know the temperature range I should be prepared for on the top of the engine and coolant lines?
I used to install fiberglass swimming pools and spas, did all the pipe work, had to pressure test EVERYTHING for the building inspectors. Like I've read here before, the key to solid pipe joints is preparation. I lightly sand all mating surfaces, and bevel the male side of each joint. This keeps the sharp edge of the cut pipe from pushing much of the pvc cement off the inside of the coupling. That was especially important whenever I used flex-pvc. It took a little longer, maybe an extra 20 second on each flex pvc end with a utility knife, but I never had a joint pull out under pressure either. When these things were going to be under ground and concrete decking, you take the extra time to do it right.

Every once in a while, poke your head up and take a look around. See what's going on. It's life!
You'll miss it before you know it!

Finally learning to enjoy life.
post #147 of 210 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 AM

might consider starting your own separate thread and linking it to the start here,

it will make for a way easier and focused read for others down the road who will be reading it for the first time,

left here, it will likely get all messed up with chit chat all over the place that will have nothing to do with what you are doing,

up to you tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by paros View Post
After reading several hundreds of forum pages, I'm finally taking the plunge. I got an old 83 GL1100 about a month ago, turns over, fires up with starting fluid, carbs are completely gummed up after sitting for at least 6 years out in the weather.
I'm going with the 32DFT Westgl has advocated; I don't want to spend too much time tweaking to get the old girl on the road. (Or at least running!)
This being a tight time of the year (3 kid's birthdays in row, school supplies & clothes, Christmas right around the corner), I'm trying the PVC intake to at least prove the function to myself.
I'm bumping up the 5-way center cross to 1-1/4", with 1-1/2"x1" reducing coupling to slip over the outsides of the fitting. A little sanding is necessary, I'm doing a little bit at a time and trying not to rush. I shooting for a rigid and strong assembly, while minimizing abrupt, sharp edges and restrictions like you might see by pushing bushing into the center cross. I'm hoping this will give me just a little bit of volume for the manifold.
The carb and adapter to single bbl from [email protected] came in last night. I had order two CPVC flanges, to see which would match up to the flange the best.
Looks like the 1-1/2" matches almost perfectly. What I like is this will keep the assembly as compact as I can make, plus I won't have any close lengths of pipe used to connect the fittings together.

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal
post #148 of 210 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 05:58 AM

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Aspencade
Garage
Nice!

DKL, I have been following your thread and it fascinates me that you made PVC manifolds that work! I had followed WestGLs thread and I'm convinced when I do mine, I will be using the Weber 32dft. But, as I just got my boat anchor carb rack finally sealed, sync'd, and pilots adjusted, mine purrs now and has immediate response up and down the rpm curve. So, I'm just gonna ride it until the carbs get gunked up again, then do my single carb conversion. My stator is hanging in there for now, but I'm sure I'll be doing my own poboy conversion within the next several months. Hell, I might just do both back to back. Thank you and everyone else on here for giving the details on old wing maintenance! You knowledge is gold here!

Alan
post #149 of 210 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
dkl

Garage
This is the fitting list and a Pictorial on my PVC Manifold for the GL1100 with a VW34-3 carb. It runs great and I have put 3,000 miles on this set-up. Cheap and easy to build set-up to get a GL1100 with trashed carbs back on the road.
video of running manifold--http://youtu.be/aKGN6cPPxgo

4 -pieces 1" Flex PVC. regular flex.....found on Flex PVC website.
2 -regular 1" PVC sch 40 45 ELLs
2 -short 1" PVC sch 40 45 ELLs
4 -PVC 1 1/4 x 1" sch 40 PVC Bushings Glue Fittings
1 -PVC Sch 80 1" Floor Flange Glue Fitting
1 -PVC 1" 5 Way Cross
1 -PVC 1" short piece of PVC pipe to cut short pieces to join fittings together.
1 -Small Piece 1x4 Lumber to place under cross, it rests on coolant tubes and supports weight of carb. I glue rubber on top of board.

The fittings must be cut on the marks, but different brands are different length,,measure twice-cut once.
Attached Images
File Type: png untitled (3).png (80.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0315.jpg (150.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0306.jpg (199.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0310.jpg (245.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0304.jpg (225.8 KB, 56 views)

MY BABY!!
post #150 of 210 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 10:23 PM

Year: 1983
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100
I was just given an 83 GL1100 and this looks like a great way to get it going cheap and quick..
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page