GL1100 Single Carb Manifold Option - Page 8 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

20Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
dkl

Model: 82 GL1100 ASPY, 82 naked, 81 scc naked wings
Garage
Not a clue....My gauge is squirrely right now...(this is a bike made from left overs from three projects) Most of my riding right now is 20 to 30 mile runs at a time, and I am using throttle every way imaginable to make the carb or engine act up,,,,,,and it just chooses to run perfect. What's a fellow to do? This bike is way to much fun to be a commuter anyway......

I have made another change to my set-up......I used a PVC schedule 80 1" floor flange (glue fitting) to attach carb to top of PVC side outlet cross. I laid the VW carb gasket on the bottom, drilled two holes and cut off the excess with a jig saw. I also cut about a half inch off the glue socket, and cut the same amount off the glue socket on top of the side outlet cross (makes everything sit lower, but put the bolts with a flat washer in the holes to attach the carb before you glue it up)). It is much more substantial and solid than the Polaris rubber carb flange, and just as easy if you take into consideration enlarging the holes and removing rubber from the side of the Polaris mount. I will post pictures when I get caught up with life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_12.jpg (17.3 KB, 35 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MY BABY!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
Not a clue....My gauge is squirrely right now...(this is a bike made from left overs from three projects) Most of my riding right now is 20 to 30 mile runs at a time, and I am using throttle every way imaginable to make the carb or engine act up,,,,,,and it just chooses to run perfect. What's a fellow to do? This bike is way to much fun to be a commuter anyway......

I have made another change to my set-up......I used a PVC schedule 80 1" floor flange (glue fitting) to attach carb to top of PVC side outlet cross. I laid the VW carb gasket on the bottom, drilled two holes and cut off the excess with a jig saw. I also cut about a half inch off the glue socket, and cut the same amount off the glue socket on top of the side outlet cross (makes everything sit lower, but put the bolts with a flat washer in the holes to attach the carb before you glue it up)). It is much more substantial and solid than the Polaris rubber carb flange, and just as easy if you take into consideration enlarging the holes and removing rubber from the side of the Polaris mount. I will post pictures when I get caught up with life.
I have been following this thread with interest of doing something similar after pulling my 4 carbs and finding crud in #2&4 carbs. I just thoroughly cleaned all four carbs 2012 and rode all summer with no problems then spring of 2013 bike ran poorly & could tell the exhaust pipes on 2 & 4 weren't hot but 1&3 were. I'm miffed because these carbs were completely dissected and cleaned in a ultrasonic individually then rekitted all (not Randakk's) which is probably where I went wrong. The gas tank was removed, wrapped in blankets and run in the concrete mixer for hours with nuts bolts & cleaner, changed frequently till it was gleaming inside and all new hoses with filters. Now I just opened up #4 and see crap in it! I'm disgusted, I was trying not to use creme in the tank as I've read that too can become a problem with flaking off in time. I popped the ring off the gas tank and looked inside and to my surprise it doesn't look all bad. This bike has not been run without stabil in the fuel since the carb jobs.

Anyway, enough of my grief! Congrats to you!! I applaud your ingenuity with the PVC. Bottom line is: IT WORKS!!!
I'm thinking of trying copper with soldered joints. Someone else mentioned that at some point in this thread. I haven't looked into what changes copper might take when introduced with gas air mix for a period of time. Have you considered trying the copper? It appears you continue to perfect the pvc setup. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience. I just want a bike that runs without tinkering with it all the time.

If it aint broke, find out why!
Kevin
post #73 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Banned

Pardon my input...
FWIW...
Despite his claims of 6+ years in offering his conversion as presented, Juan Fernandez was selling his conversion based on copper water-pipe fittings only a few short years ago.
I had urged him to use a better method at the time and suggested, in my usual fashion, that he strongly consider a better way.

...has nothing to do at all with use of the material.
Obviously, copper fittings will work.
And work better than some other materials.

Copper, and today's available fuel for use, need to have some serious thought put towards possible contamination of the delivery tracts.

...food for thought.
In this singular facet of "what material is best", PVC is a better choice as it is not a reactive metal.

I've a full set of pictures of his copper manifold if needed for referencing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Pardon my input...
FWIW...
Despite his claims of 6+ years in offering his conversion as presented, Juan Fernandez was selling his conversion based on copper water-pipe fittings only a few short years ago.
I had urged him to use a better method at the time and suggested, in my usual fashion, that he strongly consider a better way.

...has nothing to do at all with use of the material.
Obviously, copper fittings will work.
And work better than some other materials.

Copper, and today's available fuel for use, need to have some serious thought put towards possible contamination of the delivery tracts.

...food for thought.
In this singular facet of "what material is best", PVC is a better choice as it is not a reactive metal.

I've a full set of pictures of his copper manifold if needed for referencing.
Sure Captain,

I'd like to see those pics.

If it aint broke, find out why!
Kevin
post #75 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Sure Captain,

I'd like to see those pics.
Ok.
I'll start a thread later this evening with them so not to divert the topic of this one.
Cool?
post #76 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
dkl

Garage
I could do it copper if I wanted to (I am a Hardware Guy), and it might be better, but not easier for the average owner,,,and that is what I am trying to accomplish.... If I was doin' it in copper I would make the runners and fittings the copper size that is the same inside diameter as 1" schedule 40 inside diameter, copy my pattern as close as possible, and it should work as well as my current set-up. (might be more likely to ice, I don't know) My PVC set-up has not had that problem.

MY BABY!!
post #77 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:43 AM

Model: 77/83/85/yup, all of 'em in one
I had similar issues and thought my tank was good. After cleaning idle jets out 14 times, I pulled the sending unit out and looked in with a mirror and light to see flaking crud on the top couple inches of the tank. Bottom looked great. I speculate that this bike sat a long time 3/4 full of fuel. If in a spot where hot cold can cycle enough, condensation and oxygen do their thing and corrupt. This might be worth looking into as you might end up with the same issue with a single carb. I am happy with mine now but do hope to try a single carb conversion sometime in the future.
post #78 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
dkl

Garage
I have been using my pvc set-up since the first of the year, I have changed the manifold set-up several times, and it is easy to build. I am still using the same VW 34-3 carb and have had no issues. I no longer shut-off my fuel valve at every stop. I no longer worry about ethanol. I no longer worry about keeping four carbs surgically clean. Synckronization is hard to spell-and hard to do.... Life is good,,, and so is a single carb set-up.

MY BABY!!
post #79 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 PM

Model: 83 gl 1100
What are you doing with your crankcase breather hose?
post #80 of 210 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
dkl

Garage
I routed the hose back to original height, and bought a chrome filter at O'Rielly's and stuck it in the end, right now it is zip tied in place,,,,I haven't mounted it permanent, cause I am still tinkerin' with bike.

I am working on mounting a single piece 76 GL1000 tank lid on my 1100 faux tank enclosure, so I can mount a removable storage box above carb, with easy access.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqFHJFYFF0iH0oSoBRf!Zbc5-Q~~60_12.jpg (21.8 KB, 43 views)

MY BABY!!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page