High Performance Goldwing GL1000 Single Weber DFT - Page 6 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Model: '82 GL1100
Pretty sure your tachometer is off. Here is a video of my then '81 1100 with seriously worn out bearings, worn out inner springs and worn out piston skirts achieving the same RPMs with a correctly working tachometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SyhI7BDnhE

1982 GL1100 Standard with Hondaline quick release bags

1981 Suzuki GN400

Started on a friends Suzuki 125 enduro!
Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 03:47 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Brian, though true, is it important?
I'm showing what I'm showing and you're seeing what you're seeing.
You're looking at something; a stock engine with bad valve springs running at high revs using a carburetor conversion with ignition and exhaust mods.
The bike is highly modified from original.

Your feedback is important. Don't think it ain't.
Just keep watching what it is that you're looking at.

In the mean time, I'd like to have a comparison video (from you or anyone else) running a naturally aspirated single carburetor conversion at sustained high revs for comparison.
...anyone?

And like the picture below, single-barrels are more than welcome to participate in bringing a high-rev video to this show.
Maybe you got some video of your conversion in hig RPM action, Brian?
Maybe you ain't afraid to possibly break a valve spring or two in your quest for High Performance with your machine?

Maybe someone has some video of their own ride that they think is comparable?
I don't know what I am seeing or what I am being shown anymore as everything changes, but one thing is for sure... I've "seen" all I need to see to know what I know. This altered I ductile forum is your pulpit so preach to those that what to hear it and those that want to believe it.

Brian
post #53 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianinpa View Post
I don't know what I am seeing or what I am being shown anymore as everything changes, but one thing is for sure... I've "seen" all I need to see to know what I know. This altered I ductile forum is your pulpit so preach to those that what to hear it and those that want to believe it.
Brian, this is no pulpit for anyone but a thread originator.
Can 'ya find some comparable video?
You seen any?

I've been looking. I ain't seen none.

I ain't bragging or nothing either.
I'm trying to find another similar, high rev'in bike usung a single Weber.
I ain't finding one.
Thought maybe you knew of one..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgovern61 View Post
Pretty sure your tachometer is off. Here is a video of my then '81 1100 with seriously worn out bearings, worn out inner springs and worn out piston skirts achieving the same RPMs with a correctly working tachometer.

Gerry, I hear 'ya man.
Despite what you're seeing though, what are you hearing?
I'm hearing higher revs on mine.
I'm hearing I'm holding those higher rev's and climbing well into redline with them.
I'm not hearing that off yours with some other problem. I'm not hearing it for whatever reason you're not spinning it that high.
I understand that.
I understand what you're saying.
Do you know what you're looking at? I mean, it ain't none of my business if you do or don't.

What you're bringing up is great though.
Seeing ain't always believing, is it? See that bandwagon behind you?
Everybody wanting to rely on their version of how to capture video while in the midst of establishing a "viable" marketplace.

I want some comparable video.
I want it shot like mine.
That's what I want.

I don't care what kind of old 'Wing so long as it's naturally aspirated and not juiced.
Only one on YouTube is a Dude running dual 40's holding RPM. What's up with that?
post #55 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:

The camera was not solidly mounted and viewing only the speedometer and the tach.

I could not ascertain anything from that one.
Video too short for me to "count the gear changes" so that my ears and mind know what is really going on.

Not saying it is not as you depict, just that I cannot verify it from that brief video and very loose camera angles.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Steve, in this vertical overhead view. I can see the "rearward" mounting position of the carb....

would I be correct in assuming that was done to allow room for the air cleaner?

Just hazarding a guess, from from that view, if the carb had been "centrally located" like the original manifold runs, I think the carb's air cleaner would not fit within the frame.

~ John

post #57 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Gerry, I hear 'ya man.
Despite what you're seeing though, what are you hearing?
I am hearing that when your engine hits 4-5000 RPM it is reading much higher than that on your tach. I have ridden my 1100 for more than 8 years and over 35,000 miles and have a pretty good ear for engine RPM for these bikes. The point of my video was that you can see when my bike hit those same 4-5000 RPM (per the OEM tach) it sounds the same as yours at those speeds.

I know you end up revving higher in your video, but it is not 9000 RPM.

1981 Suzuki GN400

Gerry
post #58 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Brian, this is no pulpit for anyone but a thread originator.
Can 'ya find some comparable video?
You seen any?

I've been looking. I ain't seen none.
Fair enough. Here is a video of a Single Carb Goldwing that is comparable!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfyan7izAc

1981 Suzuki GN400

Gerry
post #59 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I am hearing that when your engine hits 4-5000 RPM it is reading much higher than that on your tach. I have ridden my 1100 for more than 8 years and over 35,000 miles and have a pretty good ear for engine RPM for these bikes. The point of my video was that you can see when my bike hit those same 4-5000 RPM (per the OEM tach) it sounds the same as yours at those speeds.

I know you end up revving higher in your video, but it is not 9000 RPM.
So your saying you know what your looking at?
post #60 of 126 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:51 PM

Model: 77/83/85/yup, all of 'em in one
AZgl1800, would you go on the record and say that you've never seen a gl1000,1100 or 1200 going only 80 miles per hour but turning 6500 rpms in fifth gear. Anytime you put a 5:1 tach on a 4:1 motor your rpms are inflated 125%. As I stated before, bike sounds good, strong, carb and manifold must be doing okay, but it's not turning the rpms claimed.

One of my first runs. I was fearful of back tire breaking loose, probably should have shifted a bit lower, and made some poor shifts, used the clutch, but I was mostly worried about my iPad falling off. I should do this again with my cam timing advanced. You can see in this vid that mine is going 165kph, 101mph in 4th gear at 7500 rpm. Speed is digital and lower left. You can also time it and it's easily ten seconds.
HTML Code:
http://youtu.be/Rif2elHIwTE
My tach is electronic.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page