what's the story with scc vs stock carbs? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

what's the story with scc vs stock carbs?

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...-post1229.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
99.999% should be reading Randall's page and taking his advice seriously, as my advice parallels his; you're better off with a factory rack.
I know what I know today.
CCP manifolds are getting rare.
Aside from myself, none but one have put a coolant chamber on a Empi plenum to heat it as Tom directs.
...to each their own.

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:11 AM

Year: 1975,1976,1981
Make: Honda
i'm new here but heres my 2c.
if any one is contemplating a single carb conversion the first question should be why ?
a properly maintained stock set up will perform extremely well. and should last a good while before needing to be done again.
a single will also perform well , but what should be remembered is , a lot of people compare a single conversion , with all new parts etc
with a stock rack that could be in very poor repair.
the next thing is to ask why Honda went with the CV carb in the beginning. there is anecdotal evidence that Honda experimented with all sorts of carb set ups and for that matter engine lay outs.
mike nixons "motorcycleproject" web site explains a lot of things about these early set ups.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:52 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quidproquo View Post
i'm new here but heres my 2c.
if any one is contemplating a single carb conversion the first question should be why ?
a properly maintained stock set up will perform extremely well. and should last a good while before needing to be done again.
a single will also perform well ,
I agree completely, if the bike is ridden regularly and not allowed to sit for long periods they should last indefinitely except for rubber part deterioration (ethanol). That is unless some moron decides to work on them.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 PM

Year: 1975
Model: GL 1000
Garage
I dont think its a bad idea to go to a single carb conversion. Stock is nice, but I have been replacing slides in my carbs for some unknown reason... and some hoarders out there are charging between 75 and a 100 bucks apiece. (Not to mention some smart azz comment made one of our very own in this Forum) Seems to me that replacing them for a grand total of 400 dollars, cant be to good. My wing supplier was going to charge me 1200 bucks to go through my carbs.... Plus another 75 for the sync. Hell the bikes not worth that running. So, Im thinking of the conversion. The stock carb setup is sort of complex and extremely fussy, and most of the,"rebuild-able" carbs on EBAY look like someone fished them out of Lake Michigan and the want a small fortune for them. I just want the bike to run, as it eats up valuable floor space and makes a lousy door stop. Im still doing more research on this, but it looks like I may be joining the "Dark Side" on this.
-Tank-
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
A single carb conversion being on the darkside... not really.

If there is a stumbling block when it comes to single carb conversions, it is more a matter of personal opinions causing problems. Some recommend that plenum heat is required and you will never get a single carb to work right without it. Others say that properly jetting the carb negates the need for plenum heat. What's right and what's wrong I guess that just depends on what you want to achieve from your conversion, what your abilities are, and how much you want to do to it.

Personally, I do not have any plenum heat and haven't had any problems without having the heat, but it took some tinkering to get the carb adjusted and jetted correctly for my situation. It was not a plug/play application right from the box. There are those that hold true to the idea that plenum heat is an absolute must and he goes out of his way to attack anyone that says otherwise. He resorts to bashing people on forums and even YouTube videos. These are his hallmarks, so just be aware that if anything, you are more of a black sheep depending on which way you go, rather than going to the darkside.

In the end, I have a bike that has one carb so synching is a thing of the past. I have completely removed the choke linkage from my carb as it isn't needed and I can still get the bike started in 20 degree weather. Parts for my 34 Pict 3 carb are far cheaper and more plentiful than they were for the stock set-up: try walking into NAPA for a rebuild kit for the 1100 carb set. Oh, even if I would need to replace the entire carb, I could still do it for less than a rebuild kit for the 1100 or the 1200 carbs.

Yeah you could say I am firmly in to single carb club one way or the other.

Brian
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Year: 1975
Model: GL 1000
Garage
Thank you Brian. Maybe darkside was a little strong, but I just got tired of tinkering with the stock carbs. I have more time and money stuck into these relics, with no better results than when I got the bike! Im a man of simplicity.
So, is the whole procedure somewhat easy,(except jetting). I have some numbers, I found online. Not sure if they are workable.(more research needed) Im finding it hard to source the parts locally, but have an idea as to what I need. Anyway, what numbers do you have for idle jets and pri/sec main jets.. just curious to seeif they jive with the ones I found on,"another website". Any info is deeply appricated.
-Bill-
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
My idle jet was a .27 MM but I drilled it out to .30 MM to get the idle set the way I wanted it. Once I had the idle set, I kept adjusting the main jet until I finished with a 1.35 MM jet size.

Brian
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page