Honda Goldwing GL1000 High Performance Ignition DIY mods - Single Carburetor - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Honda Goldwing GL1000 High Performance Ignition DIY mods - Single Carburetor

In having a strong level of experience with single carburetor's on Yamaha XS 650's and Virago's of all sorts from many years ago, I learned some things that are useful to a Honda Goldwing GL1000 Induction Conversioneer that may prove useful on many facets when compared to what is currently available on the open market today. "High Performance" does not have to be EXPENSIVE for our bikes if we follow a fundemental approach.

I've threads on some on-going projects in experinemtation that await further progress (when time allows) such as THIS one. I will try and get a grouping of my threads together at some point soon in here.

Benefits?
Easier Starting is usually the first noticeable improvement.
Better Drivability is usually the second thing noticed.
More Efficiency is usually realized through less fuel consumption.
Cost Factor involved is greatly reduced over the open market options.
Overly Rich fuel charges are masked. A HUGE benefit to Conversioneer's!
...and many more benefits involved depending on the approach applied.

Other Members here have some Great options as well. One works so well that it has been adopted commercially for our application.
Another has a single-fire option proven over three decades ago.
Many run stick coils with great results.

For me, having a strong ignition to compliment my induction conversion has proven itself to be a succesful move for little money.

Conversioneer's, what "Do It Yourself" modifications have proven beneficial to your conversion? I do know what I know, but I certainly do not know everything as realized from One 36 Year Old Hot Rod.

I look forward to any input of "proven" Do-It-Yourself, higher performing ignition modifications. I'm interested in more working models than those theoretical models, but all conversation is welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Project2.jpg (29.5 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 09:34 PM

Year: 1975 1976
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1000 Gl1000 ltd
great idea,
you jogged my memory about a chappy that did just this not too long ago. he put together an ignition, multi fire i think he said.
and cheap !!!! like 50 bucks. unfortunately , no pictures of it ...come to think of it, no real details either. but i know he did it , cos he said he did. people kept askin him for some details , but he went all aggressive on them. i know he did it tho, cos he said he did.
as soon as i can find those posts , you can be sure i will post them here.
ps
conversioneer is not a word.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegold View Post

conversioneer is not a word.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...A9IFu0MOiZz1Rw

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qsS9hE4U_tWgmA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4ljv5SbJvmx2PQ

dunno if that makes it a "word" or not, but it is in the "Vernacular"

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What is the Forum Index?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download it here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Either way, it is now a word and will certainly take root as one here.

Conversioneer - One who converts. A conversion of their factory induction, ignition or exhaust components, either singularly or together, for the enhancement of engine performance, reliability, economy, and overall enjoyment and satisfaction in drivability.
"I have replaced the four original carburetor's with only one that uses a intake manifold successfully and am now a Conversioneer!"

Conversioneering - The application of scientific, economic, social and practical knowledge in order to invent, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes associated with motorcycle transportation, racing or even wishful thinking.
"I would like to study the art and science of Conversioneering to successfully replace my ignition system"
Conversioneering is a broad discipline with a range of more specialized fields, each with a more specific emphasis on particular areas of the motorcycle and its application of induction, ignition, exhaust and more.

The term "Conversioneer" is now coined for any pocket.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Either way, it is now a word and will certainly take root as one here.

Conversioneer - One who converts. A conversion of their factory induction, ignition or exhaust components, either singularly or together, for the enhancement of engine performance, reliability, economy, and overall enjoyment and satisfaction in drivability.
"I have replaced the four original carburetor's with only one that uses a intake manifold successfully and am now a Conversioneer!"

Conversioneering - The application of scientific, economic, social and practical knowledge in order to invent, design, build, maintain, research, and improve structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes associated with motorcycle transportation, racing or even wishful thinking.
"I would like to study the art and science of Conversioneering to successfully replace my ignition system"
Conversioneering is a broad discipline with a range of more specialized fields, each with a more specific emphasis on particular areas of the motorcycle and its application of induction, ignition, exhaust and more.

The term "Conversioneer" is now coined for any pocket.
great, i now have a new word. ( i'll never use it because it sounds stupid ) now how about the fellow who
made that ignition for 50 bucks ?
care to point that out as quick ?
i am laughing at those posts now.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 AM

Garage
Nope, you got me there.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Nope, you got me there.
i see you are well versed with a google search, here's what i was able to turn up. re multi fire ignition.
this fella ( who sure talked a lot but never delivered info )
was talking about the C5 .
i run the C5 in two GL1000's and it is without a doubt, the best single upgrade you can do. ( well, DOHC would be good )

"QUOTE "
Overpriced.
...for us at least
Most of what they are doing has already been done on the forums.
The tower coils were brought out in the open via Dave a couple years ago.
The optical stuff isn't new and explained in the forums.
And multi-discharge is cheap for all of us now.

They too have a "one plate fits all" approach. Pick the number of pick-ups, clock them, drill for mounting, 2 or 4 cylinder wheel and... SHA-ZAMM! We in business...

Street applications will find no benefit in using optical vs. Hall (magnetic) triggering.

@ $450.00 they are re-couping their development costs, ...probably on a 2.5 multiplication factor. Maybe even higher.
You and I can put the same thing together for less than $100.00. If you're really thrifty, sub-$50.00 is a truth.
"UNQUOTE "
there are several fanciful statements here. and i suspect downright untruths. at least, nothing proven to be fact. ( there's more )
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 AM

Garage
I have never owned anything smaller than the '84 GL1200 and the '86SEi 1200....
after that, I bought a '94SE and when Penske Trucking decided they wanted to own it, (see my Signature "accident" ) that put it down for good, and me in the hospital ICU for 11 days.

couple years later, against my lawyer's direct order, I bought a beautiful '98SE down in Tampa, FL and rode it 3,000 miles all over the country before I managed to somehow find my way back home in Phoenix, Arizona.

It was two years before I told him about that....

Anyway, he finally was able to get my case resolved...

I have used Google Advanced Search for so long, I don't remember when I first started using it... occassionally use Bing, or Yahoo, and they come up with different things sometimes.... but google pretty much owns the search field.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Overpriced.
...for us at least
Most of what they are doing has already been done on the forums.
The tower coils were brought out in the open via Dave a couple years ago.
The optical stuff isn't new and explained in the forums.
And multi-discharge is cheap for all of us now.

They too have a "one plate fits all" approach. Pick the number of pick-ups, clock them, drill for mounting, 2 or 4 cylinder wheel and... SHA-ZAMM! We in business...

Street applications will find no benefit in using optical vs. Hall (magnetic) triggering.

@ $450.00 they are re-couping their development costs, ...probably on a 2.5 multiplication factor. Maybe even higher.
You and I can put the same thing together for less than $100.00. If you're really thrifty, sub-$50.00 is a truth.
an easy goog shows the above quote coming from cm85 and is in reference to a c5 ignition system available for early GWs
http://www.c5ignitions.com/motorcycle-ignitions.html

i would love to run a c5 type ignition that apparently can be easily replicated diy for under 50 bux,

please provide the details?

82, going over it

had a hog in there for a bit but basically,
back in the saddle after a ~ 24 year break,
at the time, had an oncoming made a left turn deal
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:38 AM

CM85 ? is this in fact the instigator of THIS thread ? crikey.
who woulda guessed ?
get ready to be befuddled by some humdingers of answers.
hey capn.... wanna lay off the laughing gas before you give an answer ?
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page