1987 GL1200 Single Carb Setup question - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1987
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1200
1987 GL1200 Single Carb Setup question

All:

New to me GL1200. I purchased the single carb setup off ebay with the VW Solex 34 PICT/3.

Setup is complete. Appears to be no vacuum leaks during test. Great high idle....good regular idle.

I have a weird problem that I cannot figure out. If I run the bike awhile and shut it off...it will act like it is flooded.

Watched the carb assemble and in some instances you will see fuel pour into the bowl after it is sitting awhile.

A couple ideas/thoughts where I need help:

1) Found this link for a modification someone did to the solex for this problem. Not sure if I need to go this route.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...&view=previous

2) My Goldwing fuel tank will woosh when I open it. I am not sure if I am building up pressure which is forcing the gas into the carbs after it sits.

Thanks in advance
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
The fuel line should have a shut off valve that is closed when the ignition is off.

there are several after market options that will do that nicely, if the OEM valve is not working right.

From this thread of former forum members who fixed that problem:

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/...off-valve.html

http://www.12voltfuelvalves.com/12-v...ff-valves.html

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Could it be possible that the float height was knocked out of its setting during shipping?
...because it sounds like the float is set too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1987
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1200
Sounds possible. I am not sure how to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight85 View Post
Could it be possible that the float height was knocked out of its setting during shipping?
...because it sounds like the float is set too high.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Banned

These should help:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85...w?usp=drivesdk

First link is a Solex manual covering the 34-3 carburetor.
Second is a companion video to the manual.

With them you will be able to verify whatever the float adjustment procedure is after checking the height.
...easy.

Additionally, you may find a better suited float height for the application than what is specified in the manual. I don't know of any who have done any recalibration work to that particular combination to work out the consequential bugs of the large venturi choke.
A inconsistant idle and off-idle hesitation will be your clues to a too-large venturi choke not sized properly to the engine displacement per-cylinder with the 34-3 when used on a 4-cylinder 'Wing.

To compensate for the large 34-3 choke and tract diameter mismatch, a manifold with smaller diameter fuel tracts will help increase airspeed (velocity) through the venturi so that the carburetor sees a better signal for the circutry.
In short, there is no compensation for the larger cross-sectional area of the runners for the manifold in that conversion package. Recalibration may help though. Unfortunately it may also magnify some other problem as a result in its correction.

Me?
I would send it back.
I'd PM the current purveyor of PVC manifolds and talk with him about his results with a small diameter manifold and a Solex 34-3 variant.

A member here, "Sergei" over in Russia somewhere, has had some good reports of the conversion you purchased "out of the box" with just tuning, though I don't recall what his final thought of it was. I think it was not as glowing as when first spoke of.
Hit him up for a report before you reach your final thoughts of it.

I can't give glowing results of a 34-3 myself. The 34-3 is the only large base flange Solex.
Any small bas flange Solex will give better idle results than the 34-3. Top-end losses in using a smaller base flange carb are spoke of on forums as though they are relevant when, in fact, they are completely irrelevant.

There are other options as well once you dive a little deeper into becoming a Conversioneer. Big secondary 2-barrel Weber's and such...

The conversion you purchased emanates from direct competition with a better selling, better performing conversion using a small base flange 30-series Solex carburetor from a fella that is no longer with us.
Your current conversion has known problems inherent to its design.

If you keep it and tune it by your best ability, what you will find when done are the two idle problems I've mentioned above.

In any event let us know your next move on this conversion.
I started a thread looking for positive feedback on that conversion. No responses for a reason?

My final thought:
..keep the manifold, get a significant refund for the carburetor supplied based on basic engineering principles set by Solex for the Sellers improper selection and use of their carburetor as shown in both the linked manual and its companion video instruction of how to properly select and use a Solex carburetor for this, the intended Goldwing motorcycle application, buy a large-to-small base flange adapter and run 30/31 variant.

Last edited by CaptainMidnight85; 05-14-2016 at 02:39 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 11:15 PM
dkl

Model: 82 GL1100 ASPY, 82 naked, 81 scc naked wings
Garage
Was bike running before conversion? Trash in fuel, or fuel filter caused from setting up a while could keep float from working correctly...check that out, before modifying the carb.

MY BABY!!
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page