Solex Single Carb Questions - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1982
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100 "Cafe"
Solex Single Carb Questions

Hey all - i recently finished a cafe build on an 82 gl1100 and it looks fantastic, and everything works pretty good (except the speedo, which is a whole other issue.)

I fab'd and welded my own single carb intake and then utilized rubber flex-clamps to adjoin the steel pipe and work into the stock elbows/rubber intake boots. It starts right up, runs like a champ, the carb is doing what it's supposed to be and I adjusted the bypass and volume screws per the instructions on the other threads with the breather ON (start at 2 1/2 turns out, adjust, switch screws, adjust, etc repeat.)

Everything is as it should be, BUT for some reason in 1st gear it seems to just want to die down, bog down and cut. It runs fine at full throttle, maybe a little under-performance but it still goes and does pull pretty good.

Could this 1st gear throttle "cut out" issue mean it's running rich?

I basically want to address all of the simple things to look at before I go and adjust the valve timing and replace the belts, because I've never done that before and I'm sure it would take me all day to make sure I've done it correctly. I'd rather take a day to address all the simple things and then if needed, sacrifice another day correcting the valve timing, etc.

Any thoughts?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 11:01 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
bogging down on start off, first opening throttle, to me, means it is not getting enough fuel.

Check the accelerator pump.

You are adding a lot of air, but not enough fuel to support that loading requirement, hence it is "cutting out" or dieing down because it can't make any power with the smallish amount of fuel it has to work with.

Does it take off smooth and normal if you just slowly open the throttle and go all the way to full open throttle and still running smooth?

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What is the Forum Index?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download it here:

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1982
Model: GL1100 "Cafe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
bogging down on start off, first opening throttle, to me, means it is not getting enough fuel.

Check the accelerator pump.

You are adding a lot of air, but not enough fuel to support that loading requirement, hence it is "cutting out" or dieing down because it can't make any power with the smallish amount of fuel it has to work with.

Does it take off smooth and normal if you just slowly open the throttle and go all the way to full open throttle and still running smooth?
If I have the throttle goosed up a little bit, and take off around 4-5k rpms and then slowly ease down as it moves, yes. As it gets warmer, it becomes harder to take off at all, let alone trying to go slow and smooth. Perhaps I have the carb tuned incorrectly? I checked for vacuum issues and the intake seems to be holding just fine, no bubbles with any vacuum tests. Exhaust seems to be mated with the motor well too, no leaks there. It's weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 01:59 PM

Model: 1999 Goldwing 1500 SE
Those carbs have a "squirt" jet that is supposed to supply fuel as you accelerate. This jet is an interference fit in the carb. You should be able to see it if you look down into the carburetor. Sometimes they pop out and get lost down in the intake. Brass is relatively soft, so minimal damage is done, usually. Or, simply become clogged. Alternately, there is an adjustment screw on the linkage that is used to adjust the "timing" of the squirt. The squirt needs to begin immediately as the throttle begins. Any slop or delay in the squirt causes drop-off or hesitation during acceleration. If you have lost your jet, they are available. If clogged, simply remove the top part of the carb, twist the jet back and forth and it should pop out. Then, using compressed air, or even a wd40 with the red tube that comes with it, blow into the end that has the little hole. Should clean it out, easily. Operate the linkage to make sure that fuel is being supplied to the jet hole. Should flow as you work the linkage. To reinstall the jet, position it in its hole in the carb, and using a flat blade screwdriver, or similar, tap on the screwdriver with the end of the tool on the outer flange of the jet to seat it in the carb. Replace the top of the carb and work your linkage to verify proper squirt. That squirt should go straight down.
I know all this because I am a retired VW tech of 30 years. And I thought that my brain was full of useless information! Hope it has helped!
Good luck and ride safe.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I sent an email to the address he listed last September, asking him to come back to report his progress.

It is too bad, the new users sign on, ask just one question, and never return.

~ John

What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page