Mikuni Carb Conversion - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1977
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000
Question Mikuni Carb Conversion

Hi All,
Thanks in advance for your input. Last week I purchased a 1977 GL1000 with 32K miles on it. I am trying to decide if I should keep the carb conversion or switch back to stock carbs. Asking for your advice.

The bike has the Dyna Ignition upgrade and carb conversion "VM26 Mikuni Carbs with accelerator pump (4 Mikuni Carbs)". From with I can tell everything else seems stock. The bike is in above average condition. The bike idles well and accelerates great but awful with everything else induction wise. It surges and has a slight misfire during steady state riding, backfires on deceleration, plugs are wet and dark so I'm thinking it is running rich and takes 3-5 seconds to return to idle after letting go of the throttle. I think the last issue is because the linkage to the right bank of carbs has a lot of slop in it or misadjusted. One thing about the setup is it takes some effort to twist the throttle off idle but suddenly gets easy causing an overrev - no amount of throttle finesse seems to prevent me from doing jack rabbit starts.
In the last four years the bike has been through 3 owners - I am number 4. Only 50 miles has been put on the bike since early 2015. The previous two owners sold it because they could not sort out these problems. BTW - I'm assuming this is a carb tuning/repair issue not the Dyna upgrade or some other issue.
So should I put my resources into sorting out the Mikuni carbs or start searching for a stock assembly? I am OK with rebuilding carbs but not sure I can handle sorting out these problems. I searched online and have not found any info on this carb conversion. Has any of you heard of a Mikuni VM26 conversion?
One last question. If I swap out the Mikuni carbs is there a market for this upgrade - can I sell the kit online?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8162.jpg (72.2 KB, 8 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:40 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
That is something I never heard of. Mikunis are way simpler carbs than Kehins & usually work pretty well but tuning them to that engine may take some work.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:52 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
That is a new conversion to me and i think it would be wery hard to make this to work correct .
Imho the stock setup is the best .

The winner is the man with most tools !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks DavO430 & SMEDEN,
I am still sorting this out but I think I will source and install a stock carb assembly. This will allow me to determine if everything on the bike is in working order then I may reinstall this Mikuni carb assembly and have a go at tuning. I know very little about the history of this bike so I could be chasing my tail due to unknown problems. Also since the bike has sat idle for many years I will have to rebuild the Mikuni's regardless.
I wanted a quick fix so I can get this bike on the road again - just don't like it when machines are not in working order. But this is looking like a long term project which is not really a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:10 AM
mod-erator

Garage
GL1100 carbs work well on 1000s and are probably easier to find, and are a little simpler, if you are not trying to go back full original.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 PM

Year: 2004
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
Garage
Are they slides in the Mikuni carbs or throttle plates, vacuum dampened, or directly lifted? The OEM had throttle blades and the slides were opened by vacuum by a diaphragm. This kept the throttle opening smooth and made the take off less jack rabbit like. I had a cycle innovations conversion, an my 1100. It had an aluminum plenum that dropped into the space between those rubber sleeves in you image. Just had a single barrel Holley carb, much like one that would have been found on an early 60s Ford 170ci 6 cylinder. Cycle Innovations had them specially made with a spool for the throttle cable, and a 3 layered primary booster venturi, to give it a smooth transition from idle to high speed circuits. I gained 1mpg and lots of bottom end torque, would really scoot when you got after it. Only drawback was carb/intake icing on cool damp days, but once the cooling system got warm, it went away because all the heat from radiator was dumping on the intake and carb. The single carb was awesome, set it once, never adjusted again. I had it on there for 14 years, with no problems.

Finding an acceptable carb for a DYI conversion could be tough, gotta look for something pre-emision, maybe solex, Early Datsun pickup, something around 1800cc engine.
Maybe even a progressive 2bbl. with vacuum secondary. The intake plenum could be fairly easily made. Just a box with 4 runners, single plane.
I never cared for the 4 carb setup, I would OH the carbs, set it up with manometers, and next time I road it, everything was Fubar.

MGK
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Somebody went to a lot of trouble to set up that rack of carburetors. For my 2 I vote for the stock carburetors. Everything else being equal, these bikes are pretty simple. If the engine has proper compression, the timing is correct and the spark is hot, the only thing left is the carburetors. There is a reason Honda went with individual carburetors for each cylinder. Get a set of 1000/1100 carbs, rebuild them using the Randakk kits, make sure every passageway blows clear air, make them pass the straw test, and balance them with a manometer. You will be happy with the results. Or maybe you can make the Mikunis work.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

If I installed a GL1100 carb assembly on a 1977 GL1000 would I use the GL1100 stock jetting, etc? Would ignition timing stay stock GL1000?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:41 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweber111 View Post
If I installed a GL1100 carb assembly on a 1977 GL1000 would I use the GL1100 stock jetting, etc? Would ignition timing stay stock GL1000?
Yes & yes.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum > Altered Induction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page