Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

85 GL1200 Interstate, air/fuel mix screw missing, help with correct PN

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Sprocketrocket55 
#1 ·
Of course the prev owner pitches the bike as "just had the carbs rebuilt and put about 10 miles on it since". The bike idled like garbage, indicating bad pilots. Tore the carbs out, found throttle cables at the pivot not secured, but the rest of the removal went smoothly. After taking the bowls off sure enough 3 of the 4 pilots were plugged, along with 1 of the mains, all the bowls were filthy with grit and varnish. Float height's were all over the place, none of the 4 the same height, none of the 4 the correct height. Cleaned the bowls out and blew the pilots and main jets out, set the float heights to 7.5mm. Replaced 2 bad float valves where the springs had collapsed and the pins never extended back out after being pushed in - "that's not right..." . Then went to make sure all the air/fuel mixtures were set at 3 turns out, all pretty close, except for #4 where the screwdriver went straight into the carb body. me: "wha?" and take a closer look, no screw, no spring, no o-ring - just an open hole. Imagine my joy

So popped over to Partzilla, and they show 3 different part numbers for the #5, the air/fuel screw/spring/o-ring for this California model for "screw set A" - 16016-MB0-671, 16016-ME3-003, and 16016-ME9-671. All are in stock, which while good didn't help me narrow anything down.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/h...ac-gold-wing-interstate/carburetor-comp-parts

I need to understand the difference between them to know which I need to order, I found a service bulletin stating that the first pn is a fix for driveability - https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forum...a-service-bulletin-gl1200-10-june-1985-a.html
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forum...etin-gl1200-10-june-1985-service-bulletin.pdf

The kit referenced in the service bulletin for CA, Honda 06160-mg9-742, doesn't seem to be available anywhere for sale.

Appreciate any info you might have to shed some light on this.

See less See more
#4 ·
How are you adjusting the floats? That's a very tricky job on these things.
Nah, not tricky at all.

Replaced the bad float valves, ensuring that the washer is underneath the float valve port.

Turn the entire plenum vertical and then lean it back to seat the float, press the float to ensure the float valve itself is seated, and then slowly move the plenum back towards vertical till the float tang comes off the button on the float valve - you can tell when this happens as the float body begins to swing loosely on the pivot pin. Gently tip the plenum back so that the float tang just touches the well seated float valve.

Now measure the top of the float vs the o-ring sealing surface for the float bowl on the carb body for 7.5mm, I check both sides to ensure that the float itself isn't bent.

If the measurement is off then slowly bend the tang in the correct direction and repeat the above procedure till its right, and reconfirm. Repeat for each carb. Install the float bowls with the 4 screws on each carb. Then adjust the air/fuel screw for 3 turns out, ensuring that you have all 4 screws present lol...

Carb sync comes next.

#3 ·
The parts in that bulletin are not what you need, they are pilot & main jets and jet needles, different part #s. You could probably buy all of the 3 choices of #5 and couldn't tell the difference in them. I would go with the one in the middle.

#5 ·
well, a post there that I linked to shows that the air screw is actually part of the service bulletin kit:
And the parts list too...
The parts in the kit are as follows:
Slow Jet - 99103-437-0350 (#35, $9.15 )
Jet Needle - 16151-MG9-682
Spring - 16050-MG9-004
Pilot Screw Plugs - 16016-MB0-671
In take Manifold O Rings - not available
Air Supply Tube - not available
So now that I see this again I guess that this helps me figure out which air screw to purchase... Will take a look at a needle and see if it is marked with "ICS" indicating that the service bulletin parts have been installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.