Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Is the picture real?

• I'm convinced, it's real.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not buying this picture, it's fake.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.

2006 model GL1800 POLL

10K views 59 replies 36 participants last post by  ChristopherNTX 
G
#1 ·
imported post

Ok here we go. :?

Every member just post yourvote on this Poll and tell us if you agree or disagree that the photo shown of the :18red: :stumped:is genuine or false. Im not convinced. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

#4 ·
imported post

Well the picture is really convincing and the higher res one that Ben sent me is even more convincing, but the gear light has me puzzled. I can't se how it will work in that type of setting. I mean it doesn't seem to be anLED digit. Of course maybe it is and I'm just not up to speed on current dash technology.
I'll have to side with ouldRedwing and sanfelice on this, now that the initial excitement has passed and sanity has prevailed. All this is at the risk of looking like an idiot when we get the word from Honda, but it's all good clean fun. ;)

BTW Ambrose, I've marked the topic sticky so it will stay at the top and will expire in six days. That will give it time to see what people think.

#9 ·
imported post

I am a photoshop person professionally, and I would like to offer a couple of comments. Its my opinion that the photo has, at the very least, been "assembled" from multiple originals.

1. Notice the 'sun burst' on the panel amid-ships. That would suggest that the sun was hitting it full sideways. Its not likely that they used flash, if they were outside.

2. The shadow under the bike runs lengthwise to the bike, suggesting the sun was hitting it from the front.

Just my two centsworth...

#10 ·
imported post

ubarw wrote:
I am a photoshop person professionally, and I would like to offer a couple of comments. Its my opinion that the photo has, at the very least, been "assembled" from multiple originals.

1. Notice the 'sun burst' on the panel amid-ships. That would suggest that the sun was hitting it full sideways. Its not likely that they used flash, if they were outside.

2. The shadow under the bike runs lengthwise to the bike, suggesting the sun was hitting it from the front.

Just my two centsworth...
I use Photosop extensively as well and you've missed a point. The highlights on the wheels and mid panel were caused by fill-flash, not the sun (the sun from the front wouldn't have lifted the wheels). The main light or sun was indeed from the front, you can see the shadow of the handlebars on the saddle at the same angle as the shadow underneath the bike.

I think the picture is doctored as well,but I don't think its done by compostites. I think extensiveuse of the liquify tool has made here onone main picture, the bike (for instance copy & paste the saddle and then stretch it before cleaning up the edges). The dash lights are easily done by cut & paste and the text tool. As you know, this is the sort of thing gets done daily by ad agencies and this example is well done. Whoever did it knew what he or she was doing.
Note that there is no reference to "2006 model" or any other leading text on the image, it's us that's assumed it all. Nice one, but we've been had in my opinion. Of course I could be wrong, this could well be a genuine bike that's been touched up for advertising. Great fun though, it's stirred things up well and judging by the poll most people are still conviinced by it. :clapper:

#12 ·
imported post

I also agree about the fill flash. I am amateur photographer and use fill flash as indicated. I wonder why the color of the bike in the inserts is different, however. Anyway, here's my bike's picture taken on a late afternoon. Notice how there are bursts on the side even though the shadow is going the opposite direction.

Hobie

Attachments

#15 ·
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I also agree about the fill flash. I am amateur photographer and use fill flash as indicated. I wonder why the color of the bike in the inserts is different, however. Anyway, here's my bike's picture taken on a late afternoon. Notice how there are bursts on the side even though the shadow is going the opposite direction.

Hobie
Good points Hobie. The stronger light will throw a shadow that will drown out any shadow from lesser ligts. This is a fun topic. :waving:

G
#16 ·
imported post

Im absolutely fascinated by the number of members on this forum who arefooled by this photo. :crying:The other point that has struck home is that a number of themore prominent members have not yet given any opinion. :stumped: This is an :18red:with a few extra's attached and a number of other items changed to make the thing look different. :whip: Whoever owns this :18red:must be having a great laugh :goofygrin: at all the commotionthat this has stirred up.:grinner: I never realized that we had so many experts in photography on the forum. :jumper:Well im far from being an expert in any field, but i can state without fear of contradiction that the new 2006 :18red:will not have all or indeed any of these changes. :weightlifter:For starters Honda would never dream of fitting a coloured seat on any m/cycle, not to mention things like GPS. :crying:

But it's good fun, and I can only dream of ever owning an :18red:

:walker::18red::walker:

G
#17 ·
imported post

We have 1235 members on this forum as of today. :clapper: We still have only 47 members who have cast their vote on this topic in the past 24hrs. :whip:

Come on members get your act together and cast your vote. :jumper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

#21 ·
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Im absolutely fascinated by the number of members on this forum who are fooled by this photo.
here, here! I guess after looking carefully at photographs since I was a teenager that 25 years later I recognize a fake photo quickly.

for the record, i think this bike was a studio shot transposed to this environment in front of a stone building. the highlights on the wheels, as I pointed out in an earlier message, would cast some shadow in that direction (background), which the photog would try to offset by a high and strong key light. The shadow is supposedly representing this key light - but the shadow is fake.

#23 ·
imported post

Not being an expert, can someone explain if the bike was shot in another location and changed to that one (why even do that instead of shooting it there in the first place?) then how come you can see the ground of that place reflected in the chrome side panel, and also you can see clearly the bricks of the wall through the windshield?
I'm just fascinated at this technology. :)

#24 ·
imported post

Yes indeed Ambrose, it seems like too much trouble for a fake. Over 20 changes, that musta took some time to do if it is faked. I agree with Steve about the gear light, I'm a bike mechanic and I can't figure out how the gear light will work and not be stuck on displaying 3rd. Of course Honda have a habit of coming up with new novel ideas that often have the rest of us stumped.

The bit about the paving slabs and the buiding lookinglike UKlocationis irrelevant. The picture could have been taken anywhere and just passed to a Japanese site. Whoever passed it to the Japanese site could just as easily passed it to a US orSouth African one if they wanted to.
In fact if I was a hoaxer and I wanted the maximum coverage (which a hoaker would want after all his hard work on the image), I'd have sent this straight to one of the GL1800 owners boards and right into the maximum number of GL1800 owners as they would be the most interested in this.:?

#26 ·
imported post

This happens every year .Every one gets excited then honda give us the same bike with a new problem and higher price tag. SorryI forgot the badge.(last years model):(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.