Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Guns & Ammo (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/187-guns-ammo/)
-   -   Why don't authors do research? (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/187-guns-ammo/666547-why-dont-authors-do-research.html)

DaveO430 03-10-2019 09:54 AM

Why don't authors do research?

I read quite a bit and the books I read usually have firearms mentioned. Very few are accurate, Tom Clancy is the only one who usually gets it right but most of them just make stuff up. One I just finished had 2 well trained operatives choosing 9mm over 5.56 for the stopping power. :ROFL: Also one made a 150 yard shot with a 9mm pistol and took 1/2 a guys head off, another :ROFL:. At least this on guy admitted in his prologue he didn't do much research but how hard would it be? Another one doesn't know the difference between a semi-auto and a revolver & uses both for the same gun.

AZgl1800 03-10-2019 12:18 PM

that is one of my pet pieves Dave....

but, here is a short list of my recent favorites who do their research first, by actually travelling to the areas, and talking to the locals.... and pulling in advisors for what they can't possibly do for themselves.
( short by some folk's standards anyway )

• Wayne Stinnett ( concentrates on the Florida Keys, old history pirates and current folks who are looking for the old gold.... and more )
  • C. G. Cooper
  • Steven Becker ( I first read a newer book, discovered this author, and had to download the entire series, and could not stop reading until I made it all the way through his books )
  • Michael C. Grumley
  • Mark Stone
  • A.G. Riddle
  • John D. Patten
  • Greg Clark DC ( yes, he is a chiropractor, and professor, who decided to become an author... his life's experiences are a good source )
  • John W. Mefford ( good, but not perfect, has a whole slew of books to keep you busy.... I have read more than 20 of them )
  • Evan Graver
  • Hunt Them Down (Pierce Hunt Book 1) by Simon Gervais ( only book of his I have read.... could not put it down, my list is too long to get them all, we can only download 10 books at a time on Kindle Unlimited, and Cyndi and I share )
  • Legal Thrillers by John Ellsworth ( I found that 3 is enough, too friggin much detail, I got logged down into the intricacies of court room battles )
  • Chase Fulton Novels by Cap Daniels ( great author, Dan Mason is his name )
  • Blake Jordan Thriller Series by Ken Fite ( another can't put down book )
  • GP Hutchinson ( if you like Westerns, the short kind of 120 pages )

AZgl1800 03-10-2019 12:34 PM

I quit reading Tom Clancy when he started bringing in other authors who actually write the books "under his tutelage", it totally changed the overall calibre and feel of his books.

and, I have never found any of them on the Free List, no matter how old they are.
I will not read anything I have to pay out $$ for, that is why we joined up with Kindle Unlimited, for $10/month we have more reading than we can wade through.

AZgl1800 03-10-2019 01:53 PM

here is my last read, just finished it up this morning....
gunpowder is flashed, but no one is hurt, just a lot of fiberglass splinters on the boats down in Key West....

I like this author a lot.

WOOD'S FURY - OUT NOW
Download for just $2.99
https://amzn.to/2EJ5HxL

Sometimes when you try and do the right thing—it turns into disaster
Living on an island, miles from the mainland, Mac Travis thought he could disappear. It was a simple life with no worries and fewer bills. Mac was content working his trap lines, fishing the seasons, and diving. That all ended when he and his mate found a turtle laden down with fifty kilos of pure cocaine floating in the Gulf Stream.

What seemed at the time to be a simple rescue, entangles him in a web of deceit and lies. From Marathon to Key West and on to the Dry Tortugas, Mac has no choice but to find a treasure that is better left alone.

Caught in a war between a father and son, Mac and his crew must weave their way through not only the dangerous waters of the Keys and the counter-culture of Key West, but a family history better left buried.

Bike...and Dennis 03-10-2019 02:05 PM

I wonder why people don't research model and year differences when they buy repair parts for their GoldWings.

DaveO430 03-10-2019 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5827933)
I quit reading Tom Clancy when he started bringing in other authors who actually write the books "under his tutelage", it totally changed the overall calibre and feel of his books.

Me too, the ghost writers just don't come up to his standard.

trike lady 03-10-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 5827985)
I wonder why people don't research model and year differences when they buy repair parts for their GoldWings.

Then it won't be a Mystery on why the parts don't interchange. :ROFL:

Bike...and Dennis 03-10-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trike lady (Post 5827993)
Then it won't be a Mystery on why the parts don't interchange. :ROFL:

You mean like the mystery of the 60 shooters used in the old western movies?

Not to mention what you see in current movies, like kung fu fighters who can levitate and kick someone through a brick wall. It's not just the dime novels.

People, (readers and viewers) know nothing and the story writers have found it easy to sell them fantasy.

Rudy 03-11-2019 02:24 AM

Don't forget the media press.

DaveO430 03-11-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 5828037)
You mean like the mystery of the 60 shooters used in the old western movies?

Not to mention what you see in current movies, like kung fu fighters who can levitate and kick someone through a brick wall. It's not just the dime novels.

People, (readers and viewers) know nothing and the story writers have found it easy to sell them fantasy.

I expect stupid from Hollywood, it's the only way they work. The problem is it adds to the stupidity of the public, which gets worse by the day.