Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Guns & Ammo (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/187-guns-ammo/)
-   -   Reloaded ammo split brass (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/187-guns-ammo/667401-reloaded-ammo-split-brass.html)

DaveO430 05-21-2019 12:46 PM

Reloaded ammo split brass

I loaded up a bunch of 45 acp & 223 ammo back in the early 90s. A 50 cal ammo can full of each. Have been shooting some of it now and then ever since. Recently at least 1/2 of them come out with the brass split. I even pulled some of the bullets out of the 45s to check the powder charge and the brass split when pulling the bullets with a kinetic puller. Probably most people don't keep ammo around that long but wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. The only thing I can come up with is the fact that this was before I started using latex gloves to handle cleaned brass and my finger prints are etched into them, maybe that weakened the brass.

dadztoy 05-21-2019 01:42 PM

Perhaps but wondering if the cases were virgin when you reloaded... We know that every time you fire a round, the case stretches a bit... Just wondering if the cases were reloaded several times before or perhaps you bought reloads when you purchased and one does not know the history of the shell casing when one does that - just some food for thought...

I use .45acp reloads most of the time and have never seen a split casing before on the reloads I use... If your powder charge is within limits, my money would be on stretched cases for whatever reasons...

Les

DaveO430 05-21-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadztoy (Post 5842671)
Perhaps but wondering if the cases were virgin when you reloaded... We know that every time you fire a round, the case stretches a bit... Just wondering if the cases were reloaded several times before or perhaps you bought reloads when you purchased and one does not know the history of the shell casing when one does that - just some food for thought...

I use .45acp reloads most of the time and have never seen a split casing before on the reloads I use... If your powder charge is within limits, my money would be on stretched cases for whatever reasons...

Les

They wouldn't have been reloads if they were virgin brass.:grin3: They were all once fired brass. The strange part is that they were good until recently as I get closer to using the last of them.

Ken Bergen 05-21-2019 07:21 PM

Some powders are mildly caustic and what ever you used has had a long time to eat at the brass.

DaveO430 05-21-2019 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Bergen (Post 5842727)
Some powders are mildly caustic and what ever you used has had a long time to eat at the brass.

No, black powder is corrosive but modern smokeless powders are not. Besides that the cases split from the mouth well above the base of the bullet.

dadztoy 05-22-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5842679)
They wouldn't have been reloads if they were virgin brass.:grin3: They were all once fired brass. The strange part is that they were good until recently as I get closer to using the last of them.

You misunderstood Dave... You can buy either virgin cases or once fired cases or perhaps multiple fired cases... My point being how many times were they fired previously??? If only once as you say, then I would expect the cases from the get-go...

I recently fired some 30 Carbine ammo that was at least 40 years old and aside from one or two misfires in a hundred rounds or so, there was no other problems... So, to sum up, could have been case deterioration for whatever reason but I would suspect it was the cases to begin with... Might want to think twice about shooting the balance of them though...

Les

DaveO430 05-22-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadztoy (Post 5842837)
You misunderstood Dave... You can buy either virgin cases or once fired cases or perhaps multiple fired cases... My point being how many times were they fired previously??? If only once as you say, then I would expect the cases from the get-go...

I recently fired some 30 Carbine ammo that was at least 40 years old and aside from one or two misfires in a hundred rounds or so, there was no other problems... So, to sum up, could have been case deterioration for whatever reason but I would suspect it was the cases to begin with... Might want to think twice about shooting the balance of them though...

Les

No misunderstanding, I was just making a joke. Virgin brass would be hand loads, not reloads. I have fired a lot of very old ammo without a problem also, that's why I am puzzled by this. It was supposed to be once fired brass form Midway.

Shooter 05-22-2019 10:17 AM

Look around on the internet for "Seasonal Cracking" of loaded ammo. Possible bad annealing of brass from the factory. Now I have to go check on my old ammo stores.

DaveO430 05-22-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shooter (Post 5842857)
Look around on the internet for "Seasonal Cracking" of loaded ammo. Possible bad annealing of brass from the factory. Now I have to go check on my old ammo stores.

Interesting. I wonder if having the ammo can lined with newspaper could have anything to do with it?

dadztoy 05-22-2019 02:51 PM

I think it was just bad brass - which was my entire point of the past 3 posts...:ROFL: