Reloaded ammo split brass - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Reloaded ammo split brass

I loaded up a bunch of 45 acp & 223 ammo back in the early 90s. A 50 cal ammo can full of each. Have been shooting some of it now and then ever since. Recently at least 1/2 of them come out with the brass split. I even pulled some of the bullets out of the 45s to check the powder charge and the brass split when pulling the bullets with a kinetic puller. Probably most people don't keep ammo around that long but wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. The only thing I can come up with is the fact that this was before I started using latex gloves to handle cleaned brass and my finger prints are etched into them, maybe that weakened the brass.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:42 PM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Perhaps but wondering if the cases were virgin when you reloaded... We know that every time you fire a round, the case stretches a bit... Just wondering if the cases were reloaded several times before or perhaps you bought reloads when you purchased and one does not know the history of the shell casing when one does that - just some food for thought...

I use .45acp reloads most of the time and have never seen a split casing before on the reloads I use... If your powder charge is within limits, my money would be on stretched cases for whatever reasons...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadztoy View Post
Perhaps but wondering if the cases were virgin when you reloaded... We know that every time you fire a round, the case stretches a bit... Just wondering if the cases were reloaded several times before or perhaps you bought reloads when you purchased and one does not know the history of the shell casing when one does that - just some food for thought...

I use .45acp reloads most of the time and have never seen a split casing before on the reloads I use... If your powder charge is within limits, my money would be on stretched cases for whatever reasons...

Les
They wouldn't have been reloads if they were virgin brass. They were all once fired brass. The strange part is that they were good until recently as I get closer to using the last of them.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Some powders are mildly caustic and what ever you used has had a long time to eat at the brass.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Bergen View Post
Some powders are mildly caustic and what ever you used has had a long time to eat at the brass.
No, black powder is corrosive but modern smokeless powders are not. Besides that the cases split from the mouth well above the base of the bullet.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
They wouldn't have been reloads if they were virgin brass. They were all once fired brass. The strange part is that they were good until recently as I get closer to using the last of them.
You misunderstood Dave... You can buy either virgin cases or once fired cases or perhaps multiple fired cases... My point being how many times were they fired previously??? If only once as you say, then I would expect the cases from the get-go...

I recently fired some 30 Carbine ammo that was at least 40 years old and aside from one or two misfires in a hundred rounds or so, there was no other problems... So, to sum up, could have been case deterioration for whatever reason but I would suspect it was the cases to begin with... Might want to think twice about shooting the balance of them though...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

GL1800 HPNAM9
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadztoy View Post
You misunderstood Dave... You can buy either virgin cases or once fired cases or perhaps multiple fired cases... My point being how many times were they fired previously??? If only once as you say, then I would expect the cases from the get-go...

I recently fired some 30 Carbine ammo that was at least 40 years old and aside from one or two misfires in a hundred rounds or so, there was no other problems... So, to sum up, could have been case deterioration for whatever reason but I would suspect it was the cases to begin with... Might want to think twice about shooting the balance of them though...

Les
No misunderstanding, I was just making a joke. Virgin brass would be hand loads, not reloads. I have fired a lot of very old ammo without a problem also, that's why I am puzzled by this. It was supposed to be once fired brass form Midway.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Model: 2006 ST 1300
Garage
Look around on the internet for "Seasonal Cracking" of loaded ammo. Possible bad annealing of brass from the factory. Now I have to go check on my old ammo stores.
DaveO430 likes this.

For those who've never fought for it, the price of freedom shall never be known.... Shooter (2Late45)

1986 Interstate, 2006 ST 1300
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Look around on the internet for "Seasonal Cracking" of loaded ammo. Possible bad annealing of brass from the factory. Now I have to go check on my old ammo stores.
Interesting. I wonder if having the ammo can lined with newspaper could have anything to do with it?

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:51 PM

Garage
I think it was just bad brass - which was my entire point of the past 3 posts...

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

GL1800 HPNAM9
Double Darkside - BT-45

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Guns & Ammo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page