LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:26 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I hate HP and Toshiba BIOS.....
Agree. You can add Sony Vios to that for me.
Some models are fine but you never know when you are going to hit that Sony non-standard stuff.

I'm an Acer laptop fan. Good prices, features and the damned things just work.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:01 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I am afraid that Sony Vios is in front of me.
my daughter asked me to put Linux on her ancient Sony laptop, it has been worthless for so long.

if it whips me, I will be hollering at you Rudy.
flylow and AzHonda like this.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #223 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:48 AM
Monkey with a Football

Garage
I'll have to send you my hand sledge.
flylow likes this.

Rudy

wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:04 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
You can't really shut off the mic and camera unless you either go inside and unplug the connector or put tape over the camera. On a phone, the mic is needed to work so you are hosed there.

On laptops, it's tape on the camera and a dummy plug in the external mic jack. Easy to remove and replace when needed.

That's one of the reasons I like the Toughbook CF30's No mic and no camera.

LOL I do the tape trick on all my devices.

But this is great !! Rudy says : " On laptops, it's tape on the camera and a dummy plug in the external mic jack. Easy to remove and replace when needed."

That is a neat trick.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
post #225 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:07 AM
Monkey with a Football

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHonda View Post
LOL I do the tape trick on all my devices.

But this is great !! Rudy says : " On laptops, it's tape on the camera and a dummy plug in the external mic jack. Easy to remove and replace when needed."

That is a neat trick.
To keep the dummy plug short, I remove the back (toss it) and fold the ground and hot over each other and solder them together making a shorting plug out of it. I cut the ground lug short and bevel the corners so there is nothing sticking out before the folding and soldering is done.

That way you can leave it plugged in when you travel with it.

As I said, be sure to test it. Some laptops have multiple mic inputs and don't run the internal one thru the external mic jack. In that case you either live with it or open the unit to unplug the mic from the inside. If you do that on those, you should still be able to plug in a mic to the external mic jack for use when needed. Actually, you can do that to any of them.

Rudy

wasn't too much fun”
post #226 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Agree. You can add Sony Vios to that for me.
Some models are fine but you never know when you are going to hit that Sony non-standard stuff.

I'm an Acer laptop fan. Good prices, features and the damned things just work.
The first laptop I ever bought was an Acer. I don't remember the model, I still have it and it has Windows XP on it. The only thing I have on it that I use is a program for my tuner on my Dodge diesel. The program would not run on Window 8 and I have not tried it on 10. It probably will run on ten with compatibility mode but I just leave it where it is. That laptop had an entire cup of coffee drooped into the front and ran out the back. While it was running! Turned it off, pulled the battery out and stood it on end and let it dry out. Worked just fine after that. Second coffee spill got into the screen. (Yea, I have a problem with coffee. It replaced alcohol so I still feel I am better off) The laptop STILL worked fine but the screen had a big semicircle stain on the bottom. I sent it back and even though it was 3 months out of warranty they replaced the screen and my only cost was shipping. Needless to say the rest of my laptops have been Acers. And from what I can gather most of the internal parts of all the brands are made by Acer.
post #227 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:17 AM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I've got 2 Dells, 2 Toshibas (had 3 gave one away) and an Apple G4PowerBook. The Dell laptops have no problem with any version of Linux, the Toshiba wasn't good with Linux Mint Cinnamon but can handle Xfce and MATE editions. I run Vista on one of the Toshiba laptops as it and 7 are the only ones that can run the cross stitch software. I did have an Acer pc years ago, but switched to laptops.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #228 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Garage
so far, I have liked the Acer BIOS better than Sony, the HP, and the one Dell that I have worked on.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #229 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
How did the Sony turn out? Did it except the Linux Mint?

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #230 of 269 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
How did the Sony turn out? Did it except the Linux Mint?

got wrapped up in other things.... it is on the back burner, but I will do it just to have it available as a backup for my daughter. I gave it to her many years ago, a decade at least.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page