LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Passwords

A simple rule to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DzPJT3HWwAIzfO9.jpg (25.0 KB, 15 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 PM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Hey since talking passwords .

I would like to hear from folks two things .

1. without giving away in such a way that we could guess your password
I am curious how folks come to make their passwords?

2. Does anyone use a password manager?

I am getting older and I must say , I think it might be time for me to get a password manager.

I keep forgetting passwords LOL.

Back in the day , I struggled to explain to computer users they need to stop using the same passwords for all their stuff. Then I came up with a silly idea , here is how it goes.

a password of say: Mydogspot, would be to easy to guess in a rainbow tables or dictionary type attack.

But if you go up and to the right on your keyboard.

Mydogspot = K7r0ye-06

If you are following me here ....my dog spot is easy to remember, and going up and to the right

that is easy to remember. But typing it often leads to peck peck peck lol on keyboard.

What is even crazier is the experts say that this My-dog-spot is much harder password now, for bad guys, than that the gibberish I just posted above K7r0ye-06

I higher bit of entropy , as they say.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have been using LastPass for almost 30 years, tried a couple of the other favorites, but always stayed with LastPass as it is very reliable.

To make up a password, I usually use a keyword containing my favorite place to stay, or eat at, that is a state or two away..... then I throw in $$$ or other !!! character, and then I add a string of things that make sense to me.....

so, I have 3 character patterns that I use over the years for things, and try not to use the same patterns with finance places period, nor use that pattern in any casual website like the forums we visit. so, that means pattern1, pattern2, pattern3 and jumble them up.

forums, I stick with short and simple, what's to loose anyway, and who gives a damn about a user's password on a forum. I am still pissed at VerticalScope for just up and arbitrarily deleting everyone's forum password and having them to create a new one, that is only accessed from the stored email address...

roughly 25% of our users have new email addresses and could not remember what they signed up with 15 years ago... that was just plain stupid, and the dumbest thing I ever heard of. gave us no warning, just deleted them all in one fell swoop.... everyone, even the moderators.... and I could not get back into my own account.

they got a bloody earful over that stupid fiasco.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:49 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Change your underware?
dwade likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I store them in a composition book the ones I seldom use and the common ones are stored in the browser as well as the book and then there are banking ones that are stored in my head and the composition book.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:44 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Aspencade
The wife and I have many joint accounts for about everything we do on the web and keep a password protected XL file on our laptops and mobiles. I do most of the password updating as some places require a 90 day password change so I make the changes as needed then put the new XL file on each device. I've never thought of using an app for this. Most of the stuff on each of our mobiles and/or laptops are fingerprint login so what doesn't have to be changed is a swipe of the finger and we're on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:34 AM

Garage
I use Evernote Free which is an encrypted file that is cloud based.
you can access it via the web on any PC. Love it, used it 20+ years.

LastPass is also webbased, and can be linked to any PC, provided you use the same credentials on all of the PCs. I have it installed on 2 desktops, 5 laptops.

If you and your wife would just use LastPass, and log into it with the same credential, there would be no need for the XL file... although, in truth, I keep the important financial website passwords in Evernote as a backup......

and with LastPass, you better store 15 copies ( joke ) of the Master Password for it, or you will loose access LastPass:
they do not offer a back door, period. they make that abundantly clear, but some folks gloss right over it, because Google will let you in if you can remember something about your old password. Not LastPass, you must enter the exact credential or you can't login.
dwade likes this.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 AM

Garage
Security issue with email reminders:

Do NOT, ever follow a link thru email.

Log into the Master Website link for your banks and credit cards, and log in with your credentials only.

too many folks have found out the hard way, that email links are open to the public, and your login info goes onto the local newspaper ( a joke, but nearly true )

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:52 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800A
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade View Post
The wife and I have many joint accounts for about everything we do on the web and keep a password protected XL file on our laptops and mobiles.
Please consider a secure and encrypted local file alternative like KeePass. The passwords on Excel files are so easily cracked they're not even considered passwords anymore, they're more like "momentary inconveniences". Google "excel password crack".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I use Evernote Free which is an encrypted file that is cloud based.
you can access it via the web on any PC. Love it, used it 20+ years.
Evernote's encryption improved considerably when they moved their back end to Google Cloud, but the platform is still considered one of the least secure note-taking applications, and all of your data is stored in plain text while being indexed, and may (still) be accessible to Evernote employees.

I don't store medical, financial, or personal data in Evernote's cloud - but I do keep them in "local" Evernote notebooks (so they remain searchable) that I back up and synchronize separately using Resilio Sync, the same application that syncs my KeePass file between servers, laptops, and mobile devices. Resilio is a non-cloud sync tool, so I don't have to worry about Dropbox, OneDrive, or Google Drive having access to my private data.

I also use LastPass in the cloud, for everything but my bank and brokerage account credentials, but I don't like having everything in one basket like that.

Passwords need to go away as a primary form of identification...!
dwade likes this.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathumper View Post

Passwords need to go away as a primary form of identification...!

and just what would you propose to use instead?
I do not like a chain of serial questions, pisses me off to no end.

and I do NOT like depending on a USB FOB, not all of my PCs have extra USB connectors, as is the case with this one I am using now. it has one only, the other two quit years ago.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page