Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I am using gmail as my bank contact email to report my daily transactions,
guess I better switch that to Proton

just finished doing that, and since it a major PITA to log into proton mail,
i turned on SMS Text alerts to let me know if something goes thru and I can't get to my computer.

Installed the smartphone app on the cellphone, it is easy to use, once installed. so, I can check my bank transactions easily once again.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:02 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I'll have to switch everything that's not important to Yahoo, shut down gmail and send banking to Proton.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
This is why we use snail mail. Every now and then I'm suspicious one of the envelopes has been steamed open.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:02 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
I'll have to switch everything that's not important to Yahoo, shut down gmail and send banking to Proton.

I do NOT want my bills sent to me via snail mail, to IFFY that they will arrive, and the delay is something I can't deal with. and bank statements at the end of the month? I am doing good to remember what I spent today, much less 30 days from now.

switching the bank to Proton Mail is working just fine, I turned off the Alert Sound so that I can sleep thru the night..... 2 transactions occurred over the night, one just 4 minutes before I woke up...... which must be why I am awake now? it went BONG!

changed that to Silent: I always look at my phone to see what SMS came thru anyway, don't need it going BONG in the night.

all of my normal mail is going to Yahoo, and a lot goes thru gmail which I will leave alone.... don't care if google thinks my sex life is dull

~ John

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800
The underline message is Android as well. ( install an app for android , typically must be done from google app store) .

I have my phone locked down best I can . No google access anymore, no play store or anything.
If I need it I turn it on ( briefly like for google maps or gps etc).

My battery lasts for days too now.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2006
Model: GL1800
Oh Jon Yahoo is as Bad , but I know what you meant.

I too been wanting to switch mail companies, get vpn etc

But I been trying to figure out how to do it without anyone knowing it is me purchasing it.
The mail company I want to use is paid version and do not accept pre paid visa.

I want to get that program on phone, Rudy mentioned, but prefer not to have the payment tracked back to me.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I just read that Proton offers a free one https://protonvpn.com/free-vpn

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Garage
proton mail is vpn and free, use that.

Opera now, has an automatic VPN as part of their browser, use that to connect to whatever email server you want to use, like Proton mail, which is encrypted from you to their server.
and to the end user if they also use Proton mail.

~ John

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:47 AM

Year: 1989
Model: GL1500
I have to open the can of worms here, Who Cares?

Every email provider has the ability to open and view your emails, proton included. Your hosting YOUR information on THEIR servers for FREE, Unless your a communist you should expect to pay in some fashion for the service. If you dont like ads pay for google business. Where you have full ability to opt out of any information harvesting (Hipaa Version).

There is another side to the coin, without any metrics to gauge your interests we would all just see Erectile Dysfunction and hot singles near you! ads.

Everyone reads these polices like some bad guy is reading all your personal emails and stealing from you, (Or McGee From NCIS) nothing could be farther from the truth. Google Ads is a public platform you can use to promote your business. You select keywords and phrases that you want to trigger your ad to show for. Google uses a filter to search for the keywords and phrases in your online life. Its called market research and its how you get the things you want.

Two Important Points to remember:
No one cares about you or your activities, Honda wants you to see a gold wing ad when you send an email to Harley Customer Complaint department.
If you want your emails to be private, dont send them. Because you dont know the policies of the server your sending your email to or through.

3rd point, run your own mail servers and dont rely on any third party services.
trike lady likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page