post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Privacy

https://www.cnet.com/news/yahoo-aol-...ails-messages/

April 13, 2018 6:00 PM PDT

This is Kinda Old but worth reviewing .

Yahoo and AOL just gave themselves the right to read your emails (again)

Though Yahoo was already scanning its users' emails to maximize ad opportunities, doubling-down on the policy could raise eyebrows in a post-Cambridge Analytica world.

Oath, the media division of Verizon that runs both AOL and Yahoo, is finally unifying the privacy policy of its two giant legacy Internet brands. That means an updated set of privacy terms and policies for hundreds of millions of users. And in an online world where privacy expectations have been radically reshaped in light of Facebook's Cambridge Analytica mess, it's more important than ever to read the fine print on those splash screens.

When we logged in to a Yahoo Mail account Friday, we were greeted with the privacy policy you see below (Jason Kint had pointed to the policy earlier on Twitter). In it, Oath notes that it has the right to read your emails, instant messages, posts, photos and even look at your message attachments. And it might share that data with parent company Verizon, too.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Nothing is sacred any more, I've been thinking about getting a Proton mail free account. It's like the neighbor with the ChromeBook, he was told it doesn't get virus/malware by the tech who worked on it, but on the other hand it has the biggest snoop combing through your stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:34 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Nothing is sacred any more, It's like the neighbor with the ChromeBook, he was told it doesn't get virus/malware by the tech who worked on it, but on the other hand it has the biggest snoop combing through your stuff.
There are many things he could do to overcome that. Starting with a full time VPN, using DuckDuckGo for searches and a browser that didn't come from the data harvesters.
Of course you can't overcome stupid and most people have no idea or interest in being wise internet users. Linux is not a panacea but it's a long way in the right direction.

These days, anyone not using a VPN doesn't give a poop about data and usage harvesting. Yet.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:15 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
when I use VPN, it slows things down so much, I just turn it off.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Nothing is sacred any more, I've been thinking about getting a Proton mail free account. It's like the neighbor with the ChromeBook, he was told it doesn't get virus/malware by the tech who worked on it, but on the other hand it has the biggest snoop combing through your stuff.
Trikelady
Ask your neighbor if you can do some OSINT on him.
OSINT will wake up the masses. Then if enough masses wake up maybe congress do something about it. But then the alphabet agencies cry the internet went dark.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
when I use VPN, it slows things down so much, I just turn it off.
John in your case I believe it might be futile anyway.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I am leaning more towards Startmail. Rather than Proton Mail.
I also prefer Startpage rather than Duck Duck Go.

In Short the Policy of the EU and Country that Startpage is, is the most strictest on privacy that I know of to date.

Unfortunately Security and Privacy can be a never ending Cat and Mouse game.

Below I dug up an article (1 of many on this ).

Post Snowden , there is a reason the Feds went after this Lava-bit guy
They could not defeat it. Snowden (like him or not ) outsmarted the Alphabet gang.
Here is where stories often get into the bleeding hearts of the media viewers (us, you)
there is a magnificent spin on things. Snowden had already landed by this time.
The Feds Probably already talked with the Guardian regarding the Data Breach.
They then would have realized that Snowden no longer had any copies of the data and left it into the hands of the Freedom of Speech or Fifth Estate. To release in the most responsible way.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-keys-snowden

Side Note :

One time some data was leaked to Wiki Leaks , then Wiki Leaks got hacked , so the data was on the loose. Julian Asange called the State Department
to Alert Hillary Clinton . He had to Jump through Hoops. Finally they got back to him and it was too late. He wanted to give them a heads up, so they could do proper Press Release Damage Control.
It was not important to the State Department.

The other side of the coin, begs to ask can we really trust the CA ( certificate authority, such as digi cert). I do not recall any media reports regarding the feds wanting say Digi Cert Keys.
They really wanted Lava-bit Keys for sure. This guy did not make this program for illegal purposes, he could not envision Snowden would use his service. Yet his invention was going to be compromised because the Feds can not figure out how to keep a secrete. The Lava bit inventor was in a Capitalist Society , the same Capitalist Society the Government wants everyone to believe is the best.
So this guys pot of gold at the end of the Rainbow, would be defeated if he gave in to the Feds.

And if you recall, in 2017 the CIA too, could not keep a secrete, all their favorite Hacking tools
were turned loose.

Look at Micahel Cohen , one of Trumps Lawyers . They had nothing on him , the NSA plumped his name into the NSA Database and they went and grabbed him. Turns out
NSA was wrong he did not go( over seas) to PROG, it was another Mike Cohen. So then to Save Face , they got him for Tax Evasion and Lieing to Congress.
Did Hillary get any Trial or Penalty for Lieing to Congress ???

( For those that do not know , CA are the holder of the keys when your browser for example talks to your bank. To me this means a third party we must trust).

When you couple what we have learned about possible Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook etc.
if nothing else appearing to work with the Feds. I am not convinced that the whole CA (american - certificate authority) can be trusted.

Google Scholar is a cool tool , you can read parts of many Lawsuits

The Klapper Case
Amnesty International

Mark Klein ( the former At&t network guy that discovered the NSA left the plans on his workbench re-guarding how At&t was mirroring all the data going in and out of at&t servers. In San Francisco Ca

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Just Read this on proton mail website

https://protonmail.com/blog/google-privacy-problem/
Short Version of this below

The real purpose of Gmail

Google’s business model is primarily based on online advertising. The company earned over $95 billion last year selling the personal information of its users to advertisers.
For an advertiser, your emails are a gold mine because we often think of email as a private communication channel. When your bank contacts you or you address an email to your loved one, these seem like two-party conversations. In reality, Google treats your Gmail mailbox as company property, scanning them with powerful software to better understand you.
Founded in 2004, the service now has 1.4 billion users creating a perfect record of their thoughts, behaviors, and interactions. As Google CEO Eric Schmidt said in 2010, “We know where you are. We know where you’ve been.We can more or less know what you’re thinking about.
After years of lawsuits and waves of criticism, Gmail finally announced last year it would stop scanning users’ inboxes for advertising purposes. What they did not mention, however, was that they would continue allow other companies to do just that.
Third-party data mining in Gmail

Since 2014, Gmail has given third-party developers access to the platform’s API, which allows them to build software that can be used within the platform. These add-ons are usually productivity tools, such as task managers or document signing apps. When users install them, they grant these apps permission to read their emails.

By scanning your emails, companies can learn information about your email habits, the things you buy, how much you spend, and who you are. Typically this information is anonymized but not always. According to the Wall Street Journal, the add-on developers sometimes shared redacted screenshots of entire emails. In one instance, two engineers read through 8,000 personal emails in order to calibrate their algorithms. The users were never informed about this.
These activities are extremely similar to those that led to the recent Facebook-Cambridge Analytica scandal. When the abusive practices of Facebook’s third-party app developers came to light, the fallout included a #DeleteFacebook hashtag and a congressional inquiry into Facebook’s privacy practices. Though Google has so far avoided intense controversy, its surveillance operations are far greater than Facebook’s.
Privacy is necessary for democracy

This is not just about strangers having access to your love letters, intimate photos and online purchases. It’s also about the kind of society we want to live in. Gmail is designed for mass surveillance, and such a powerful tool could be easily misused. The intelligence software Google is developing could someday be turned against us in ways we cannot predict. The Facebook scandal has already given us a glimpse of this power, which can even be used by malicious actors to undermine democracy. Imagine if Cambridge Analytica had access to your inbox.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Wow and I've been thinking about getting a free Proton mail address. With Google who needs the NSA?

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I am using gmail as my bank contact email to report my daily transactions,
guess I better switch that to Proton

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page