Brave browser - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Actually the Brave Browser on Windows7Pro is the only one that will allow the Pogo game site to work, the recent update made to Firefox won't allow the games to play properly. Firefox works good everywhere else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:18 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Firefox didn't work like Firefox in the beginning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Firefox bookmarks has always worked the same for me, unless the very first couple of years it was different?
Chrome has been around a long time & they still haven't figured out bookmarks. That's the reason I only use it when I need an alternative browser, IE is out of the question, hated it since I got my first PC in 1996.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:49 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Trike Lady ,

I can not comment on Brave Browser as of yet , I have not tried it.

However if you seeked that browser for ad blocking specifically.

I have an answer that is free and much better than some "add on " browser extension that most folks add to say firefox.

It's called a "Hosts file"

PM me and we can talk more on how to set this up for you.

Hosts file explanation in my best laymens terms off the cuff. If you already know this then disregard
but since this is a computer topic on this forum others may bennefit. Here goes:

1. In computer networking when say you want to go to say www.yahoo.com
you need a DNS. (Domain Name System).
DNS converts a domain name such as https://www.yahoo.com to an ip address. Or vice versa.
There are many many DNS servers across the internet.

Your ISP typically is not a DNS server , however they cache the info, all their clients searches
and typically can resolve DNS Query's for you.
( this is actually bad to use your ISP as a default dns
but that is a security topic for another discussion).

2. So as humans we typically do not remember say www.yahoo.com's ip address.
so a person would type into browser www.yahoo.com. ( much easier to remember)
This applies to search engines as well, in other words we often can not remember a website, so we simply apply a search term in search bar.

3. Behind the scenes of your browser, this DNS is happening.
type this into browser 72.30.35.9 this ip address typed into your browser will take you too yahoo.com ( try it its neat)
this typed into your browser "www.yahoo.com" will also take you too yahoo.com.

4. Now the cool part is, by default most computers will automatically look to a Hosts file within the operating system, to try and resolve these various ip addresses and domain names for you.

5. since most folks are not using their hosts file, you computer quickly moves on and sends the
browsers request of say www.yahoo.com, you typed into the browser, onto your ISP (internet service provider) or if you have changed your default DNS server to something else.

6. here is what a hosts file looks like : between the astric

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 localhost #[IPv6]

****************************************** end astric
end preview of host file

7. now the 127.0.0.1 <---- ip address is your loopback address. In computer world as funny joke we call it " home" or "there is no place like home"
you can also use 0.0.0.0 . as loopback.

Now your host file can be used two ways .

1. to resolve DNS host names like "www.yahoo.com"
2. or to block host names like " bad-guy-website.com"

7. Now as a home computer user you typically do not need to add
websites you frequently visit into your hosts file.

Probably the main reason for even having a hosts file in your operating
system, is for businesses that have their own DNS servers, so all of their
computers know how to find various computers, servers, printers etc.
Or for businesses that wish to keep computers communicating in the event their own DNS servers went
down for repair or what ever.

8. so since most home users will only want to use a hosts file to block ads or known malware sites , I will show you an example of how that will look.
any time you see " # " this means the line is commented out , so your computer wont read that line, it is just for your own recolection.

# start of trike lady hosts file
127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 localhost #[IPv6]

# blocking bad ad site
127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.com

# end hosts file

you could also do it like this , and its prefered now a days because it will work on ipv4 addresses and ipv6 addresses.
0.0.0.0 ad.doubleclick.com

9. so by doing this it blocks an ad server called ad.doubleclick.com , by the way this is a very well known ad server

10. when you have a big huge hosts file like I do , I typically get little to no ads on websites I visit . it's cool.
sometimes you see a spot on a website where you can tell an ad was.

My hosts file is upwards of 100,000 lines . So that is a lot of bad websites blocked and ad servers. ( remember a lot of the same companies produce ads for many many websites, therfore blocking say 100,000 is a lot)

I have been doing this for many many years , I was on a team long ago as well hunting down all these ad servers. So this was many years collection.

11. I am also working on doing this at the hardware level .
There is a linux program called "pi-hole". Where you do this hosts file I described, but put it into a rasberry pie hardware device.
Why you might ask? Well your smart tv, tablet or cell phone when using your home wifi can take advantage of this ad blocking too.
See most cell phones will not allow you to edit the hosts file unless have root access. By default these devices do not have root access, unless you are lucky enough to install a custom rom.

Message me if need help.

Cheers
trike lady likes this.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
Actually the Brave Browser on Windows7Pro is the only one that will allow the Pogo game site to work, the recent update made to Firefox won't allow the games to play properly. Firefox works good everywhere else.

That is most likely because firefox and others eliminated flash player.

I do not mean to bring you bad news , but Flash needs to go away, and

they in fact are trying hard to get rid of it. Flash is such a security risk you have no idea.

If you insist in using it for that game you play , you might highly consider doing so

on a machine you do not do any normal computer work with.

Such as online banking, email , purchase things online etc.

You know, windows didn't get that bad over night! It took fifteen years of careful development!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Garage
The Windows7 is rarely used, most of the time I use Linux Peppermint9 or Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3. Vista never sees the internet, as it is used to run craft software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Garage
I discovered its the Pogo game site that's the problem not the browser. They're converting their games to HTML5 and its not working with Firefox but works on Brave. I haven't used IE11 at all and only used it to bring in Firefox.
Pogo is converting Flash and Java games to HTML5. I was reading their blog page and it mentioned all the changes to the site.

Retired trike builder.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:30 PM

Brave Browser may get some more Traction ......Excerpts from Security Now Podcast.

So I have shared a tip. And I'm looking at time and what we have left to do. So let's talk about built-in click tracking going mainstream. As I teased at the top of the show, this came to my attention because the current version of Chrome 73 has this enabled, but can be disabled. That "can be disabled" is no longer true in the staged but not yet released 74, and in the much more raw Canary 75. We're losing the ability to turn this thing off. Firefox has it off. It can be turned on. Brave, which is the privacy-focused browser, as we know, doesn't even allow you to turn it on. It's not an option.

So essentially this - oh, I was confused by my notes. I said that the POST contains the single word "ping" because I have the details here. Its query parameters provide Ping-From and Ping-To and the Content-Type as text/ping. So it is made for tracking. That's its purpose. So what I found most interesting is that there is also no same origin policy control over ping destinations. The browser is not constrained to only ping back to the page's origin domain. The page can instruct the browser to ping anyone, anywhere that the page's code requests. And at first blush, as I was thinking about this, this might seem irresponsible of the designers. But I'm sure those arguing for this flexibility noted that URL redirects can also jump to anywhere without restriction, so why artificially restrict the built-in facility that's being offered up as it is arguably cleaner, if a bit creepier, replacement, that is, in the URL ping argument. The two things that it has going for it is that I do agree that it's cleaner, that is, the href shows the actual destination of the link, and then the ping shows the site or sites who are going to be notified when you click on that link. So it's a little more straightforward. The other thing, though, is - and I think this is the part of Google that is really wanting to optimize and improve speed and improve security. And there's a lot of Google that is that way. This allows these processes to be done in parallel, which I would argue makes it worthwhile. A redirect is inherently a serial process. In the case of clicking on a Google link, you are going to Google. You're staying on Google, pulling up, like making a query to Google that then logs whatever it does, figures out all of this gobbledy-gook in the URL, and then it gives your browser a 302 redirect to the destination, and you go there.

So In Nutshell Chrome and More than likely the Chromium from Microsoft will Track You Online.
trike lady likes this.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Garage
I have as part of my set up Wind Scribe VPN. Microsoft and Google sound like they're getting cozy. I cannot understand why people want a ChromeBook and to have Google nosing around. I have Start Page as the search.

Retired trike builder.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page