They're after it, hide the 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Angry They're after it, hide the 7

This is coming soon and off goes 7 and in the bag.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/20/wi...es/?yptr=yahoo
I'm glad I'm running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on that laptop besides 7Pro.
The pic they show doesn't sound good if you read the last sentence. Is it open wide and say 10.
MS making computer users unhappy every time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5fd93e7f61081a22394dd93a3df59d5a.jpg (20.2 KB, 18 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:28 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
MS making computer users unhappy every time.
MS users have been choking down the sausage for so long they love the abuse.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:55 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I am also glad to be rid of them. Yesterday I had to call avast to stop the automatic renewal of their internet security package, it seems it's impossible to stop it online. The guy asked "in his heavily indian accent" why? I replied "because I have kicked microsoft out of my house & don't need it anymore.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:17 AM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
I work in a Data Center, and Windows Server 2008 is coming to the same unglorious end... We've been working diligently for the last year to migrate all functions to a humongous VM Farm with some 50TB of SSD storage, Server 2016 on most of the VMs. Screaming fast.

Spent the last two weeks "DoD Wiping" Hard drives and unracking old servers. Time for them to go, anyway. They've been spinning 24/7 for the last five years...

There's three stacks of Dell Servers (75+) waiting for the e-cycle truck to come pick them up tomorrow....

At home there's a mix of various Linux and Windows flavors, I let one of the downloaded software packages install the "free" version of Avast on one of the Windows boxes. It is definitely "Pesterware", constantly popping up little windows telling me why I should upgrade to the paid version. Think I'll uninstall it.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post

At home there's a mix of various Linux and Windows flavors, I let one of the downloaded software packages install the "free" version of Avast on one of the Windows boxes. It is definitely "Pesterware", constantly popping up little windows telling me why I should upgrade to the paid version. Think I'll uninstall it.
Even the paid version is "pesterware". Always popping up and bragging on what it stopped or offering another upgrade. But you have to have something when running windows and I don't trust their own internet security.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:16 AM

Year: 2004
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
Garage
I tried once to make my laptop a dual boot setup, I wanted to run Linux for CNC programs because everyone said that it was so much better,faster. I was trying to use a thumb drive as the boot key to Linux. I never could get it to work.

Windows has continued it's dumbing down of it's interface, if I wanted that look and feel, I would have used my cellphone. I hate the constant updating, and crap I dont need or want running in the background. There is something called "delivery optimization" that when it runs, it sucks up so much bandwidth, it take my connection back to dial up speeds. I am pretty sure I am paying for my service connection, not MS.
Then since "net stupidity" providers keep choking off access speeds. Almost makes me wish for a return to DOS.

MGK
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 AM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
Now look for MS to release a replacement for Win 10. It's been out for almost 5 years ad in that time period MS did a lot of tweaking to make it work correctly. It replaced Win 7 after 6 years. 2009 Win 7, 2015 Win 10. Due for replacement!

There actually hasn't been any real tech support for Win 7 since 2015, except for extended support which had to be paid for. Only updates. I don't think it will just stop working, just no more updates.

According to the MS site, the patch will roll out automatically. You can either decide not to install it, or what MS says i will prompt you not to display the nag screen.

I have a 10 year old computer that WILL NOT support Win 10. I think there are still people out there running Win XP and Vista.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I have Windows Vista and it is used for counted cross stitch charting. Windows7Pro has been retired to the purple/pink bag and is on the shelf. Now I'm running Peppermint9/Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on a double decker laptop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:46 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cihilb View Post
Now look for MS to release a replacement for Win 10. It's been out for almost 5 years ad in that time period MS did a lot of tweaking to make it work correctly. It replaced Win 7 after 6 years. 2009 Win 7, 2015 Win 10. Due for replacement!

There actually hasn't been any real tech support for Win 7 since 2015, except for extended support which had to be paid for. Only updates. I don't think it will just stop working, just no more updates.

According to the MS site, the patch will roll out automatically. You can either decide not to install it, or what MS says i will prompt you not to display the nag screen.

I have a 10 year old computer that WILL NOT support Win 10. I think there are still people out there running Win XP and Vista.

I have a friend with 4 WinXP computers, that they do their business on.
they have not had any problems with them at all, all are running Avast and that is all.

His wife recently bought a new laptop, and that came with Win10...
instant bitc*ing in the house!!!

he said he will not replace the XP machines unless they break.
He does power them off when not in use....

back some time ago, I read that MS said that Win10 would never be replaced with a version number again.
they would only change out parts of the OS to keep it up todate.

and a lot of it is now running Linux underneath.

~ John

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:11 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I have a friend with 4 WinXP computers, that they do their business on.
they have not had any problems with them at all, all are running Avast and that is all.

His wife recently bought a new laptop, and that came with Win10...
instant bitc*ing in the house!!!

he said he will not replace the XP machines unless they break.
He does power them off when not in use....

One of the first things I learned about computers is to leave them on to avoid the heating and cooling cycles, like an engine. Mine is on if the power is on in the house unless if I have to work on it.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Computer Talk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page